Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Me Understand...
(03-15-2016, 06:21 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I see this mentioned every year in terms of free agency.  "He won't know the playbook" or "he would have to learn the system".  I will readily admit that I have never played in the NFL, but I am willing to bet that the great majority of NFL players can learn a new playbook over the off season.  If not, that guy is borderline mentally challenged and you've done a really bad job of scouting the talent... these guys have been playing football, and learning new playbooks, their entire lives.

(03-15-2016, 06:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, you'd hope so. At least say the reason is he has familiarity or a rapport with the QB. The playbook reason only makes sense if the preseason is over, or say if you have an injured player  in the middle of the season.

All those years they called back Chris Crocker from his couch in mid-season? That was because he knew the playbook. But that's not the same scenario as a FA period where you have workouts, training camps, preseason, etc all still to go. Plenty of time to learn a playbook. Afterall, all the Bengals players on offense have to do it this year anyway.

Well you can sit around and pick at nits about "why" exactly it happens, but it doesn't really matter.  the fact is that a lot of free agents flop when thye change teams.

It could be the playbook.
It could be chemistry with the QB.
It could be not fitting into a different scheme.
It could be not meshing with a new coaching staff.

It could be anything, but the fact is that the Bengals are absolutely correct to value their own players more than players from other teams because the guys from other teams are more likely to flop.

Of course the numbers are skewed becuase the guys that team re-sign are usually better than the ones they let walk, but still more players flop when changing teams than when they re-sign with the same team.
Reply/Quote
It is March 16. There are four months between today and when the Bengals will need a full roster to go to camp.

Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, this organization has earned the benefit of the doubt when building a complete roster. My expectation is that the WR question will be 100% answered by the time camp opens.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 10:30 AM)Who Dey Time Wrote: It is March 16.  There are four months between today and when the Bengals will need a full roster to go to camp.  

Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, this organization has earned the benefit of the doubt when building a complete roster.  My expectation is that the WR question will be 100% answered by the time camp opens.

Bengals will bring in a WR via FA and draft. 

Agreed, don't worry. There are a lot of veteran possession guys on the market
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 04:35 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: ...Why we wouldn't pursue a veteran FA Wide Receiver. Let's think about this logically. Here's what we know:

1.) If we offered Marvin Jones a contract wouldn't it be fair to say that we thought he filled a need? I mean, even if they love a guy, if they have absolutely no use for him, they're not going to shell out that amount of coin. So, it stands to reason, that the Bengals felt as if they had a need for another veteran receiver.

2.) We obviously can afford a decent amount. Reports are Marvin Jones saw his contract at 8 mil per matched by the team. So again, logic says we can afford up to 8 million per. At least if you believe the reports that signing MMJ wouldn't have affected Iloka or Pacman.

So, help me understand it. If we feel we needed a veteran presence like Marvin Jones, if we felt it was worth it to pay handsomely for it, and if we can afford the cap hit, why exactly would we not consider someone else?

It makes no sense. Now, I understand if they don't think anyone else is worth the same amount. But you couldn't bring in a cheaper option? I mean, if you think it's a need, there's no one else that helps at all?

It just seems starnge to me. Stubborn or short-sided even. Perhaps they still sign someone, but it sure sounds like we shouldn't expect it. It's almost as if they can't keep their own players they would rather just ignore the position. "We have 8 million to invest in receiver, we need a number 2 receiver, but if it's not our guy then we'll do nothing."

Makes a lot of sense... Rolleyes

where do you see or have you read that we are not looking for a veteran WR?

We are getting to the point where guys will come in for tryouts and stuff. as the market settles guys who are asking too much will lower their prices. And there are still a few good options out there... but none worth what we where offering M Jones.

Reality is we are looking to replace our 3rd and 4th passing targets. We Have AJ and Eifert

They really like Wright, Burkhead, Alford, tate(for depth). And we know we will draft at least 1 WR if not 2.

Kroft was developing nicely into the passing game. and could possibly take over sanus possession type role. and they have that uzomoh guy who knows how hes panning out.

Now i know these last two are TEs but they are pass catchers. (and dont forget gio)

So i have little doubt they will get some more players for dalton to throw passes too..

So to help you understand the word is patience. the season is 6 months away.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to hold off on knocking the Bengals letting MLJ go until the season starts. A lot can happen between now and then. I will admit though, it was a shame to see MLJ go.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 11:02 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I'm going to hold off on knocking the Bengals letting MLJ go until the season starts. A lot can happen between now and then. I will admit though, it was a shame to see MLJ go.

we didnt let him go....

We offered him a contract last camp... Chose to bet on himself in Free agency...

We offered him the same $ he got from Detriot... He chose to go to Detriot because he wants to be the Guy. and will never be with AJ here.

He chose to leave we didnt let him go. there was no way he was getting tag which would have been the only way to stop it
Reply/Quote
Bengals bringing in Brandon LaFell for a visit.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals bringing in Brandon LaFell for a visit.

Someone in the FO has a former-Patriots Brandon fetish.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals bringing in Brandon LaFell for a visit.

YES! That's the guy I wanted all along. Well, him or Wallace, but I have a feeling LaFell will be more affordable.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 04:53 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Do you view every single thing as a complaint?  It sure seems like a pretty straightforward question and discussion to me.

Guy in front of Fred at the Supermarket:  "Hey, I'm just curious, can I use this coupon on two different Stoffers dinners or do they need to be the same one?"

Fred - JESUS H CHRIST, whine some more!!!!  LISTEN TO THIS GUY SCREAM AND WHINE!!!!!

Everyone in store - What the hell is that guy's problem?

(03-14-2016, 05:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Once again you completely miss the point.  Let me explain.

Wes to man in grocery store.  "Please explain to me why I don't have a coupon for Stouffers?  I demand to know why they refuse to print any coupons.  It makes no sense."

Guy in store "Maybe you don't have one because the sale paper does not come out until Friday and it is only Wednesday."

Wes.  "I don't care.  I am going to complain anyway."

BOTH of your analogy machines seem to be broken...

Wes to the cashier: "I have a coupon for the Souffers Lasagna, but the guy in front of me took the last one on the shelf. Got any in the back?"

Fred the cashier "Nope. Last one on Earth. We MIGHT be able to have some next year. I can let you know at the end of next month."

Wes: "Ok, cool, I get it. There was only one last Stouffers lasagna. You run out of stock, it happens. But I'm hungry now and I have the money on me. Can I go ahead and use this on a Betty Crocker lasagna of the same value?"

Fred: "No. But here's a coupon for the same amount off of some Crunk Juice and a first aid kit."

Wes: "I think I had the cash for that, too. And while I need the Crunk Juice to quench my thirst, and the first aid kit is good for my safety, I'm still hungry for lasagna."

Fred: "You just have to hold off until next year or the one after. Not sure, but the man in charge tells me he MIGHT have some around then..... Maybe. NEXT!"

Me watching this conversation  Popcorn : "......."
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 01:31 PM)PDub80 Wrote: BOTH of your analogy machines seem to be broken...

Wes to the cashier: "I have a coupon for the Souffers Lasagna, but the guy in front of me took the last one on the shelf. Got any in the back?"

Fred the cashier "Nope. Last one on Earth. We MIGHT be able to have some next year. I can let you know at the end of next month."

Wes: "Ok, cool, I get it. There was only one last Stouffers lasagna. You run out of stock, it happens. But I'm hungry now and I have the money on me. Can I go ahead and use this on a Betty Crocker lasagna of the same value?"

Fred: "No. But here's a coupon for the same amount off of some Crunk Juice and a first aid kit."

Wes: "I think I had the cash for that, too. And while I need the Crunk Juice to quench my thirst, and the first aid kit is good for my safety, I'm still hungry for lasagna."

Fred: "You just have to hold off until next year or the one after. Not sure, but the man in charge tells me he MIGHT have some around then..... Maybe. NEXT!"

Me watching this conversation  Popcorn : "......."

And.......now I'm hungry Sad 
Reply/Quote