Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Need tech advice..
Ok, ever since my computer updated to the "Creators" version of Windows 10, I've been having some problems. The biggest of which, my Windows Mobile Device Center program no longer works. This is important. I'm a Surveyor, and I have to be able to upload and download files from my data collector.

I spent a couple of hours today, googling answers, trying suggestions, etc. All to no avail. I do have an old, windows 7 backup machine, that I use in an emergency such as this. However, it is a pain. Our work email (outlook) is set up to only work on our personal phone, and 1 personal computer. So, my work email don't work in my old computer. This is important, because I'm having to load files to the old machine, and use the personal email as a forwarding device between the two. This introduces so many opportunities for error to occur.

So, if any of you has the solution to making my WMDC work in the latest update of Windows 10, I would be most appreciative. Oh, and btw, I'm sort of a technological ******, so you'll have to really spell it out for me. Thanks in advance, Sunset.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This thread appears to address your problem with a couple fixes. The fixes start about half way down the page.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/9cab3e8e-6cc4-48e4-8ed9-d595bc83f04b/windows-mobile-device-centre
Reply/Quote
I remember in the old days when Microsoft developed nothing but an OS for a computer, like Windows 7 as the latest one! Windows 10 sucks though, I absolutely hate it because of all the stupid Cortana & apps they force on it. **** them, this is my PC, not a effing phone.

Now to the op. I dont use the product, but after looking thru the link above and a few other things after googling "windows mobile device center Windows 10 Creator Update", the main way to fix it for a lot of folks is through the registry. https://www.handheldgroup.com/support-rugged-computers/knowledgebase-KB/22996/ is one of them I read on what to change which is the exact same as in the link Au gave above. So I have to assume that is the issue as it is also on other web page fixes for it. Or at least it would be the one I would try first.

If you are not familiar with regedit, or tweaking registry values, either take a nice long crash course in learning how to do so, or find someone you know that can walk you through it. It really isnt hard to do, but you just have to make sure you know you are changing or adding the values in the correct part of the registry. Myself for something like those, I would copy (ctrl+c), and paste (ctrl+v) those registry lines where they are supposed to go.

Now all that said, if you feel uncomfortable tweaking the registry, try the other suggestive fixes like 'local administrator' stuff being checked or re-installing it, etc. first. Then go from there.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 02:27 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I remember in the old days when Microsoft developed nothing but an OS for a computer, like Windows 7 as the latest one! Windows 10 sucks though, I absolutely hate it because of all the stupid Cortana & apps they force on it. **** them, this is my PC, not a effing phone.

Now to the op. I dont use the product, but after looking thru the link above and a few other things after googling "windows mobile device center Windows 10 Creator Update", the main way to fix it for a lot of folks is through the registry. https://www.handheldgroup.com/support-rugged-computers/knowledgebase-KB/22996/  is one of them I read on what to change which is the exact same as in the link Au gave above. So I have to assume that is the issue as it is also on other web page fixes for it. Or at least it would be the one I would try first.

If you are not familiar with regedit, or tweaking registry values, either take a nice long crash course in learning how to do so, or find someone you know that can walk you through it. It really isnt hard to do, but you just have to make sure you know you are changing or adding the values in the correct part of the registry. Myself for something like those, I would copy (ctrl+c), and paste (ctrl+v) those registry lines where they are supposed to go.

Now all that said, if you feel uncomfortable tweaking the registry, try the other suggestive fixes like 'local administrator' stuff being checked or re-installing it, etc. first. Then go from there.

The link I had gave the exact line to put into the command prompt with a decent explanation a post or two later on how to bring up the command prompt if you don't know how. As said here though, make sure it is entered in EXACTLY as stated.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 09:23 AM)Au165 Wrote: The link I had gave the exact line to put into the command prompt with a decent explanation a post or two later on how to bring up the command prompt if you don't know how. As said here though, make sure it is entered in EXACTLY as stated.

See, here's the thing.  I don't quite feel competent enough to be digging that far into the system of my computer.  (I did mention that I was somewhat of a technological ******, in the OP)

However, I did uninstall WMDC, reboot.  Reinstall WMDC, went to the setup file and did the compatibility test, set to Vista.  Then went into Administrative tools, opened properties, set log-on to Local Service.  Now, if I connect my data collector to the computer, I have to manually start the service via. admin tools, in properties.  But, at least that is better than yesterday.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 04:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: See, here's the thing.  I don't quite feel competent enough to be digging that far into the system of my computer.  (I did mention that I was somewhat of a technological ******, in the OP)

However, I did uninstall WMDC, reboot.  Reinstall WMDC, went to the setup file and did the compatibility test, set to Vista.  Then went into Administrative tools, opened properties, set log-on to Local Service.  Now, if I connect my data collector to the computer, I have to manually start the service via. admin tools, in properties.  But, at least that is better than yesterday.

Yea i saw people mention that and it being a viable, but annoying, work around. The registry edit is somewhat scary, I get it, but if you follow the instructions you should be okay. If you are up and running though, that may be serviceable until it annoys you to death.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 04:54 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yea i saw people mention that and it being a viable, but annoying, work around. The registry edit is somewhat scary, I get it, but if you follow the instructions you should be okay. If you are up and running though, that may be serviceable until it annoys you to death.

Well, my brother in law, who is quite tech savvy, can help me.  However, he lives 3 hr. away, and it will be a few weeks before I can go visit..  Idk, maybe I can put him on speaker phone, and have him talk me through the registry edit process.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 05:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, my brother in law, who is quite tech savvy, can help me.  However, he lives 3 hr. away, and it will be a few weeks before I can go visit..  Idk, maybe I can put him on speaker phone, and have him talk me through the registry edit process.

He could log into your PC over a remote desktop app and just do it for you.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 05:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: He could log into your PC over a remote desktop app and just do it for you.

True, but I'd also like to use this as a learnable moment, to gain some confidence in doing that sort of thing myself.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I still use Windows 7 on a big 'ol desktop PC. Never have any problems.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Can we just all go back to AOL?  I still can't even figure out how to add a stupid picture to a thread on this board.  I'm as tech savvy as an elephant on ice.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 05:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: True, but I'd also like to use this as a learnable moment, to gain some confidence in doing that sort of thing myself.

The very first step should be to make sure you have backed up all vital stuff before messing with the registry. Save it to the cloud is easiest, or to usb stick. This is just to be on the safe side, plus that stuff should be backed up anyways.

The first step is opening up the registry editor. Go down to your system search option, and type in "regedit", but without the quotes. 

There should be folders listed under Computer starting with HKEY_ 

Then just need to figure out where exactly which line needs added or edited, then save & reboot. This is the walkthrough part if you are unsure, but at least you have idea what it is.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote