Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's a Thought - McCarron
I would love to see the Bengals make the following trade:

AJ + #9 for the Bears #3 overall

IF Jonathan Allen is still on the board.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2017, 06:08 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I would love to see the Bengals make the following trade:

What about his shoulder injuries though? I'm not going anywhere near that personally. Saban has been quoted as saying that he has a shoulder injury that flares up now and then leading me to believe it will continue. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2017, 06:26 PM)Jpoore Wrote: What about his shoulder injuries though? I'm not going anywhere near that personally. Saban has been quoted as saying that he has a shoulder injury that flares up now and then leading me to believe it will continue. 

It hasn't affected his production at all.  It doesn't' worry me.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2017, 06:30 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It hasn't affected his production at all.  It doesn't' worry me.

it hasn't affected his production correct but he has had 3 shoulder injuries allready. Interesting to see what the docs say about it. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2017, 06:08 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I would love to see the Bengals make the following trade:

I'm guessing it would take a little bit more than just a QB drafted in the 5th round, with limited game experience, to get into the top 5.  I'm just guessing, of course.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2017, 08:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm guessing it would take a little bit more than just a QB drafted in the 5th round, with limited game experience, to get into the top 5.  I'm just guessing, of course.

Doesn't matter what round he was drafted in...it's what his value is now!
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2017, 08:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm guessing it would take a little bit more than just a QB drafted in the 5th round, with limited game experience, to get into the top 5.  I'm just guessing, of course.

Well remember he was a projected second round though and u never know with qb desperate teams... 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2017, 09:12 PM)pulses Wrote: Doesn't matter what round he was drafted in...it's what his value is now!

(02-03-2017, 09:12 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Well remember he was a projected second round though and u never know with qb desperate teams... 

Don't overlook the second part of my statement, the part about limited game experience.  He never did anything spectacular in any game that he played in, was just a sound manager of the position, with a super highly skilled team around him. 

We can hope that a team like the Bears is willing to offer the #3 overall pick for McCarron, but I know that I wouldn't, if I were in charge of an NFL team's roster decisions.  And besides, unless Myles Garrett is sitting there at #3, no need to move that far up.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2017, 09:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't overlook the second part of my statement, the part about limited game experience.  He never did anything spectacular in any game that he played in, was just a sound manager of the position, with a super highly skilled team around him. 

We can hope that a team like the Bears is willing to offer the #3 overall pick for McCarron, but I know that I wouldn't, if I were in charge of an NFL team's roster decisions.  And besides, unless Myles Garrett is sitting there at #3, no need to move that far up.
I agree that unless Garrett's there no point in moving up but the bears are a qb needy team and they're have been some insanely stupid moves before...
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2017, 11:46 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I agree that unless Garrett's there no point in moving up but the bears are a qb needy team and they're have been some insanely stupid moves before...

A straight up trade for the Bears 2nd round pick would be a great deal.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

May have to give up more because of the value chart.

That's 2,200 value for the #3 pick.
The 9th pick is 1,350.

The Falcons traded up 21 spots with the Browns for Julio Jones. They gave up their 1st rounder, another 1st their next year. Their 2nd and 4th round picks. And the next year's 4th round pick.

For something more like our scenario. The Bills moved up from #9 to #4 to draft Watkins. They gave up their 1st, another 1st, and a 4th.

We would have to give up more than McCarron and our first to move up. Especially for a player with limited playing time
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2017, 02:10 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: May have to give up more because of the value chart.

That's 2,200 value for the #3 pick.
The 9th pick is 1,350.

The Falcons traded up 21 spots with the Browns for Julio Jones. They gave up their 1st rounder, another 1st their next year. Their 2nd and 4th round picks. And the next year's 4th round pick.

For something more like our scenario. The Bills moved up from #9 to #4 to draft Watkins. They gave up their 1st, another 1st, and a 4th.

We would have to give up more than McCarron and our first to move up. Especially for a player with limited playing time

Depends, teams value a "franchise" QB a lot more than draft picks.  I could see a team making a move like this because it doesn't cost them a pick in the draft, just the swap of spots. Another thing to remember - AJ is on a very cheap contract for the next 2 years (since he's a restricted FA in 18). That holds a lot of value.

I'm not too hot on Garrett.  I'd much rather have Allen.  If we go edge rusher, I want Tim Williams.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2017, 05:18 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Depends, teams value a "franchise" QB a lot more than draft picks.  I could see a team making a move like this because it doesn't cost them a pick in the draft, just the swap of spots.  Another thing to remember - AJ is on a very cheap contract for the next 2 years (since he's a restricted FA in 18).  That holds a lot of value.

I'm not too hot on Garrett.  I'd much rather have Allen.  If we go edge rusher, I want Tim Williams.

Is McCarron a "franchise" QB?

He beat Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Mallet.

Also, he's going to be 27 in September. And you get 2 years with him. Maybe. He could go the "Need guaranteed money" route.

Deshaun Watson will be 22 in September.
Kizer will be 21 until January 6th on 2018.
Trubisky will be 23.

And they will all have longer contracts.

Sure. McCarron may have more experience, but not much. And coming out of college, they're all better prospects than him.

So the Bears would want more than to switch and a possible QB.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2017, 10:47 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Is McCarron a "franchise" QB?

Also, he's going to be 27 in September. And you get 2 years with him. Maybe. He could go the "Need guaranteed money" route.

Trubisky will be 23.

Sure. McCarron may have more experience, but not much. And coming out of college, they're all better prospects than him.

That's why I put it in quotes.  I'm not sure what his value will be, but teams seem to be looking for a "vet" option rather than going with a college prospect that has limited experience in a pro-style offense.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2017, 09:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't overlook the second part of my statement, the part about limited game experience.  He never did anything spectacular in any game that he played in, was just a sound manager of the position, with a super highly skilled team around him. 

Agreed, the original trade that I proposed was a switch of picks #3 for #9 + McCarron.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2017, 10:47 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Is McCarron a "franchise" QB?

Trubisky will be 23.

It all depends on what ur value on qbs are in the draft. There is only 1 qb with a first round grade and that's a mid to late first with trubisky. Kiper and Watson are second round grades which is what mccarron was.  Also to me  Kiper also but Watson in particular is a pick machine. If a team values mccarron more than any qb in this draft as they should since its an incredibly weak draft at qb. Mccarron  would thrive in a "dink and dunk  offense" ala kc. I think teams in a win now mode like the cardinals, Texans, will take him over a rookie qb. 
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2017, 10:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A straight up trade for the Bears 2nd round pick would be a great deal.

This...I would almost expect the Bengals to try and slide back a little in Rd 1 and gain an extra 2nd already, if the top 3 DEs they covet are gone.  Really hoping the run on QBs starts early. 
Reply/Quote
People in Cincy appear to be far more interested in AJ McCaron than anyone else. The talk nationally is about Jimmy G, and that is interesting to me. We saw this before with NE in Cassell you'd think people would figure out that system can make anyone look good, but alas it seems Jimmy G will be the back up teams trade for this off season. We may have missed our chance to get a good value on AJ. We may have to wait until training camp and wait for someone to get hurt and try and pull a Bradford with McCaron.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 09:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This...I would almost expect the Bengals to try and slide back a little in Rd 1 and gain an extra 2nd already, if the top 3 DEs they covet are gone.  Really hoping the run on QBs starts early. 

They won't move out of position to land an elite prospect for a 2nd rounder.  Brown doesn't do trades unless he's raping the other team.  He will probably want two 1sts to move out of the Top 10.  With Marvin back, that means another year of bpa drafting.  They won't be so locked in on a pass rusher that they'll pass on a guy like Williams, Cook, Fournette, Hooker, Adams, or one of the top CB's if they're available.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 10:41 AM)Au165 Wrote: People in Cincy appear to be far more interested in AJ McCaron than anyone else. The talk nationally is about Jimmy G, and that is interesting to me. We saw this before with NE in Cassell you'd think people would figure out that system can make anyone look good, but alas it seems Jimmy G will be the back up teams trade for this off season. We may have missed our chance to get a good value on AJ. We may have to wait until training camp and wait for someone to get hurt and try and pull a Bradford with McCaron.

Depends on who you are listening to.  Bill Polian said that the 2 most attractive QBs on the block this year are McCarron and Garapolo.
Reply/Quote