Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's the question that led an Iowa congressman to storm out of an interview
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/05/09/ridiculousiowa-congressman-storms-out-interview/314009001/

Quote:Iowa Rep. Rod Blum's Monday sit-down interview with a local television station was going well, until he got a question he didn’t like.

The Republican was in his hometown of Dubuque chatting with TV9 investigative reporter Josh Scheinblum ahead of a town hall at a local high school gymnasium.

There was about a minute of cordial conversation about the congressman’s town hall tour, until Scheinblum asked why Blum required attendees to show their IDs.

Blum explained he wanted to ensure only people from his district attended. He doesn’t represent all Iowans, he said, just those in his northeast district.

“That’d be like saying, ‘Shouldn’t I be able to, even though I live in Dubuque, go vote in Iowa City during the election?’” the congressman argued.

Scheinblum then asked: “Would you still take donations from a Republican in Iowa City?”

Blum, surrounded by school children, stood up, took off his microphone, and said, "This is ridiculous. This is ridiculous. He's going to sit here and just badger me."

He walked out, setting the tone for a feisty town hall. Later, the Washington Post reported, Blum said Scheinblum ambushed him.

It was very apparent that he had an agenda,” he said. “It’s my right to say that this interview is over.”

The Post reports two of Blum’s top contributors during his 2016 re-election efforts were from out of state.

At the event, the about 1,000 attendees were checked in by volunteers, who were accompanied by police officers, the Post reported. TV9 noted Blum did not permit hand-written signs, so people held up red papers for when they disagreed and green for when they agreed.

Many asked about Blum's vote last week to repeal the Affordable Care Act. Blum, the Post reported, said the change affects about 12,000 people in his district and for most people nothing will change. The statement was followed by boos and shouts.

Blum later tweeted thanks to the group for a "great discussion."

Such snowflakes.

(Did I do that right?)
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Not every Republican from Iowa is like Steve King.......but this guy is pretty close. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

(05-09-2017, 02:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/05/09/ridiculousiowa-congressman-storms-out-interview/314009001/

Such snowflakes.

(Did I do that right?)

This is probably about the the third time I've read a Republican state the AHCA affects very little people since it passed the House. Yet, during Trump's campaign he claimed all of his employees are suffering because of the ACA.

How is it so many people are affected by the ACA, but very little are affected by the AHCA?

Didn't Trump claim everyone would have cheaper, better health care with the repeal and replacement plan?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-vows-insurance-for-everybody-in-obamacare-replacement-plan/2017/01/15/5f2b1e18-db5d-11e6-ad42-f3375f271c9c_story.html?utm_term=.bb3e9c9e92bd

Uh, yeah. He did claim that. So why is the AHCA only affecting a small number of people instead of everyone?
(05-09-2017, 03:13 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: This is probably about the the third time I've read a Republican state the AHCA affects very little people since it passed the House. Yet, during Trump's campaign he claimed all of his employees are suffering because of the ACA.

How is it so many people are affected by the ACA, but very little are affected by the AHCA?

Didn't Trump claim everyone would have cheaper, better health care with the repeal and replacement plan?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-vows-insurance-for-everybody-in-obamacare-replacement-plan/2017/01/15/5f2b1e18-db5d-11e6-ad42-f3375f271c9c_story.html?utm_term=.bb3e9c9e92bd

Uh, yeah. He did claim that. So why is the AHCA only affecting a small number of people instead of everyone?

Same reason they say the version they passed (and celebrated) will be changed in the Senate.  They HAD to pass SOMETHING to give the POTUS a win.  They don't know what's in it, they don't know what it will cost, and they say it won't be the same bill when it passes he senate.

But hey, they are tired of winning I guess.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-09-2017, 03:13 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Didn't Trump claim everyone would have cheaper, better health care with the repeal and replacement plan?

This is one of those policy goals/statements, like the wall and the Muslim ban, regarding which I think Trump is sincere. I believe he genuinely would like cheaper, better health care for EVERYONE--no one left behind. If he could waive a magic wand and get it, he would.

It is just that given his lack of knowledge and inability to read and understand bills--the whole healthcare and finance problem, really--he cannot do anything about it.  His healtchcare bill belongs to Ryan and the Freedom Caucus. Their goal will never be to leave no one behind/uncovered.
Going back to the OP.

1. Asking for ID at the door was legit if he really just did want his constituents to attend. As long as he was not pre-selecting specific people he knew would agree with him.

2. The question the reporter asked about accepting donations from outside his district was also legit. Blum can't have it both ways. if the concerns of people outside his district do not matter then their money should not matter either.
(05-09-2017, 05:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Going back to the OP.

1.  Asking for ID at the door was legit if he really just did want his constituents to attend.  As long as he was not pre-selecting specific people he knew would agree with him.

2.  The question the reporter asked about accepting donations from outside his district was also legit.  Blum can't have it both ways.  if the concerns of people outside his district do not matter then their money should not matter either.

I  confess that I would accept donations outside of my district, were I a Congressman.
(05-10-2017, 02:17 AM)Dill Wrote: I  confess that I would accept donations outside of my district, were I a Congressman.

I assume all of them do.
(05-10-2017, 08:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I assume all of them do.

and seeing his reaction, he probably does too
People suck