Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hewitt Released
(09-01-2018, 07:07 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The FB position just ain't what it used to be and in todays game it's kinda a double edged sword. When he jogs out there for his 11% of the plays the D knows there's about an 85% chance a run is coming. If you jog him out there for more plays where we don't run you're taking a play maker off the field.

Having said all of that with this O-line I'm pretty surprised.

I think we see Bengals use more 2 TE sets. If Eifert stays healthy, it is first time we can put 2 TE's that can block (Eifert just OK, but not bad) and Kroft who can both catch the football. Kroft caught 7 redzone TD's last year.

So, we can now run or pass out of 2 TE sets and we have a QB smart enough to read the defense and audible based on the defense once he gets to the line. We also have Uzomah who has progressed nicely and a 4th blocking option if he is active.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 07:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think we see Bengals use more 2 TE sets. If Eifert stays healthy, it is first time we can put 2 TE's that can block (Eifert just OK, but not bad) and Kroft who can both catch the football. Kroft caught 7 redzone TD's last year.

So, we can now run or pass out of 2 TE sets and we have a QB smart enough to read the defense and audible based on the defense once he gets to the line. We also have Uzomah who has progressed nicely and a 4th blocking option if he is active.

Kroft is not strong at blocking that actually has a been a knock on him, CJ is a better blocker
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 07:38 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Kroft is not strong at blocking that actually has a been a knock on him, CJ is a better blocker

I have heard fans knock his blocking, but never the coaches. Can you provide the links on Kroft being a bad blocker? I know he was considered a blocking TE with limited pass catching skills coming out of college. Interesting if his blocking digressed, yet his pass catching improved when he became a pro. The knock on Uzomah out of college was extremely poor blocker.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 08:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have heard fans knock his blocking, but never the coaches. Can you provide the links on Kroft being a bad blocker? I know he was considered a blocking TE with limited pass catching skills coming out of college. Interesting if his blocking digressed, yet his pass catching improved when he became a pro. The knock on Uzomah out of college was extremely poor blocker.

I don’t think Uzomah is a particularly good pass catcher either. In fact his hands look stone some of the time.

Reply/Quote
It might not be likely that we sign a FB after cutting Hewitt, but I wanted us to draft Dimitri Flowers. He played with Mixon at Oklahoma, and was just cut by the Jets.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 09:01 PM)Shady Wrote: It might not be likely that we sign a FB after cutting Hewitt, but I wanted us to draft Dimitri Flowers. He played with Mixon at Oklahoma, and was just cut by the Jets.

I was just about to ask: is there any knowledge on how Mixon performs with a FB? Didn't get many chances here, but as far as at Oklahoma, I wonder if he was a better runner.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 09:03 PM)thillan Wrote: I was just about to ask: is there any knowledge on how Mixon performs with a FB? Didn't get many chances here, but as far as at Oklahoma, I wonder if he was a better runner.

Flowers is a big (246 lbs) multipurpose back with great hands. If I remember correctly, I mocked him to us in the 6th round. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote