Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey Bengals, Learn A Bit
Here's the words of a 4-time SB winning Coach/QB duo who has a 3 game lead in their division after beating a terrible team:

“We’re playing for a lot here. I don’t think it’s ever right to take your foot off the gas pedal.” - Brady
"I’ve seen a few games in this league, seen those double-digit leads evaporate in a minute or two." -Belichick

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/05/bill-belichick-never-considered-pulling-tom-brady-with-late-lead/

Novel concept. Don't play to not lose, play to win, always, at all times. Is the team crap? Have a big lead? Doesn't matter. Crush them. If you can, shut them out. If you can, blow them out.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 02:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Here's the words of a 4-time SB winning Coach/QB duo who has a 3 game lead in their division after beating a terrible team:

“We’re playing for a lot here. I don’t think it’s ever right to take your foot off the gas pedal.” - Brady
"I’ve seen a few games in this league, seen those double-digit leads evaporate in a minute or two." -Belichick

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/05/bill-belichick-never-considered-pulling-tom-brady-with-late-lead/

Novel concept. Don't play to not lose, play to win, always, at all times. Is the team crap? Have a big lead? Doesn't matter. Crush them. If you can, shut them out. If you can, blow them out.

While i agree, that's not Marvball and you will never change his mind or approach. It's just not in his makeup.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Marvin is just too nice to be an elite HC.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Marvin is no more conservative with a lead than most other coaches in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Then why do people crack jokes when he talks about still being in the playoff hunt?
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 03:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin is no more conservative with a lead than most other coaches in the NFL.

I credit his outstanding clapping ability and game management for the sterling prime time and post season records of his. 
Reply/Quote
Dusty Baker always had a saying when he was managing the Reds about being up by at least five runs. If the Reds were up by five runs not even a grand slam home run would change the lead. I liked that saying and I'm trying to think of conveying this into football scores. Being up by 29 points -- almost 30, Nuge -- is a substantial lead but I remember the Bengals scoring 31 points against Cleveland in a single quarter a few seasons ago. With modern NFL rules written to favor wide open offense, it's lots easier to come back from a significant deficit.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 02:37 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: While i agree, that's not Marvball and you will never change his mind or approach. It's just not in his makeup.

(12-05-2016, 03:01 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Marvin is just too nice to be an elite HC.

(12-05-2016, 03:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin is no more conservative with a lead than most other coaches in the NFL.

Exactly the point that I also took from the OP.  Just to add my own input:  Football is competitive, fierce, and unforgiving.  The basic premise is to dominate one's opponent.  If you have a talented team, let them romp, just as you should expect your opponent to do in a reverse scenario.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

This I agree with.

Marvin expects too much from his defense, and not enough from his offense. 

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 03:24 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Then why do people crack jokes when he talks about still being in the playoff hunt?

(12-05-2016, 06:56 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I credit his outstanding clapping ability and game management for the sterling prime time and post season records of his. 

What does any of this have to do with the fact that Marvin is no more conservative with a lead than most other NFL coaches.  How many prime time losses were do to teams coming from behind while Marvin played it too conservative.

You guys don't even think about what you are saying anymore.  You just keep repeating the same things over and over again even when they have nothing to do with what is being discussed.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2016, 12:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What does any of this have to do with the fact that Marvin is no more conservative with a lead than most other NFL coaches.  How many prime time losses were do to teams coming from behind while Marvin played it too conservative.

You guys don't even think about what you are saying anymore.  You just keep repeating the same things over and over again even when they have nothing to do with what is being discussed.

I had to go all the way back to week 9 of last year to find a win where we scored more than 3 points in the 4th quarter.

Terrible playoff record. Terrible primetime record. Right around .500 vs rookie QBs. This is what being a conservative coach looks like. He plays not to lose. He doesnt have the edge necessary to get us any further. 
Reply/Quote
This is why I don't want them to tank the season, regardless of draft position.  You don't just wind up being an elite team without trying.   
Reply/Quote
Tell it to the "stop going to games", "I hope we lose out" fans also.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2016, 03:38 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: This is why I don't want them to tank the season, regardless of draft position.  You don't just wind up being an elite team without trying.   

I could never root against them just for draft position.

High draft picks don't guarantee success either. Just look at Cleveland. Sure, we hit a home run with AJ Green, but how often do players like him come along?

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2016, 12:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What does any of this have to do with the fact that Marvin is no more conservative with a lead than most other NFL coaches.  How many prime time losses were do to teams coming from behind while Marvin played it too conservative.

(12-06-2016, 01:54 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I had to go all the way back to week 9 of last year to find a win where we scored more than 3 points in the 4th quarter.

Terrible playoff record. Terrible primetime record. Right around .500 vs rookie QBs. This is what being a conservative coach looks like. He plays not to lose. He doesnt have the edge necessary to get us any further. 

You still don't get it.  When you are trying to explain why a team loses the fact that they lose does not prove your point.

It would be like if someone claimed Marvin could not win because he was black and then to prove it say "Terrible playoff record.  Terrible Prime time record.  Right around .500 vs rookie QBs.  That is what happens when you have a black head coach."

The fact is that Marvin is no more conservative than most other coaches in the NFL, but he does make the playoffs more often that most other coaches in the league.

We are certainly struggling in the fourth quarter this year, but it has nothing to do with being too conservative with a lead.  Last year the Bengals were 8th in the league in fourth quarter scoring despite having a lead in most games.  Since Dalton arrived in '11 the Bengals have finished in the top half of the league in second half scoring every year except 2014 when they barely missed (19th).  Pretty amazing since most people claim that the Bengals are incapable of making half time adjustments.
Reply/Quote
I was watching a game back early in the season, forget who, the Titans maybe ? But they were up like 21 - 0, big lead and under two minutes until halftime. They had the ball at like their own 20, and low and behold they came out gunning, going for it and pushed down and got a FG.

You think Marvin Lewis would have done that ? Not only no - hell no ! He doesn't have that killer instinct. He's stuck in 1980 and like Cin said relies to much on his defense. You can't sit on a lead in today's NFL. Every possession matters.

We were damn lucky to score before the half against the Eagles last game. There's no doubt in my mind Marvin was trying to run the clock out. But the players overcame his incompetent coaching !
Reply/Quote

What you posted has absolutely zero to do with what I posted. So you tell me.

Do you even know what you're arguing about anymore? The hypocrisy is astounding though you calling out people for posting the same thing over and over again because you're truly the definition of a broken record.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2016, 01:13 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: What you posted has absolutely zero to do with what I posted. So you tell me.

Do you even know what you're arguing about anymore? 

Yes.  I am talking about Marvin not being any more conservative than most other coaches in the NFL.  You know, the topic of this thread.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2016, 11:11 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I was watching a game back early in the season, forget who, the Titans maybe ? But they were up like 21 - 0, big lead and under two minutes until halftime. They had the ball at like their own 20, and low and behold they came out gunning, going for it and pushed down and got a FG.

You think Marvin Lewis would have done that ? Not only no - hell no ! He doesn't have that killer instinct. He's stuck in 1980 and like Cin said relies to much on his defense. You can't sit on a lead in today's NFL. Every possession matters.

We were damn lucky to score before the half against the Eagles last game. There's no doubt in my mind Marvin was trying to run the clock out. But the players overcame his incompetent coaching !

The damn truth. If we play aggressive it is the players trying to overcome Marv and the coaches.

This is a big problem and is extremely frustrating for not only the players but us fans.

BTW, would like the Titans OC for our next HC. Like his style.
Reply/Quote

Most other NFL coaches aren't going to win a superbowl either. 
Reply/Quote