Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Hey, the Bengals drafted a Center!
Welcome to the team, Trey Hill!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Coming off of 2 knee surgeries. He and Carman can be star candidates for the All-IR Team!

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 05:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Welcome to the team, Trey Hill!

It's ok bro, you will be rewarded one day for your fandom. Get that negativity out of you. Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 05:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Coming off of 2 knee surgeries.  He and Carman can be star candidates for the All-IR Team!

did u say TWO???? Shocked Shocked
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 05:42 PM)bamseventy1 Wrote: It's ok bro, you will be rewarded one day for your fandom. Get that negativity out of you. Tiger

Well, I apologize if I'm coming off as negative during this draft class, as I'm typically one of the more optimistic personalities on this board.  I've been a fan since I was old enough to understand what football was.  I was blessed with a couple of Superbowl teams put together by Paul Brown in my youth, and have been ever disappointed since controlling ownership passed onto Mike.

I survived the dismal 90's, fully embraced the transition to the Marvin Lewis era, along with it's two complete cycles of highs and lows.  I've always held onto hope that once Katie assumed the controlling nod that things would change for the better.  I even got excited about the uptick in free agency play in the past two years.  However, one relic remains, Duke Tobin.  It's time for him to be relieved of his duty, and a proper GM installed.

Duke's drafts, particularly at the top end, have really been lacking in the past 5-8 years.  I'm tired of it.  We don't need a VP over player personnel that needs to call a former player that's been retired for 14 years to get his opinion on taking a Tackle that just had back surgery..  Enough already, let's just hire a true NFL GM to manage the roster and partner with Katie on making the deals happen.

This draft?  I wanted Sewell, as I thought it would make a definitive statement on the direction the team wants to go, as well as affirm their commitment to protecting the franchise QB.  That didn't happen, but I'm totally fine with Ja'Marr Chase.  He's going to be a super star in the league, and I love that he's now a Bengal.

Now, taking Jackson freakin' Carman at least a round early, after trading 8 spots back and watching really good OL get swooped up?  That is one of those "only the Bengals" moments.  I mean, I could have almost gotten on board with taking the overweight big man with short arms, until I learned about the recent back surgery.  Egad!  I know that many on here are enamored with him, and I suspect it's because he's a "local product" more than anything.

I'm completely fine with the skinny Tackle taken from ECU in the 4th.  He's going to grow and develop into a fine player, in two to three years.

I started to get excited about taking the big Center from Georgia, until I realized that he's coming off of double knee surgeries.  He also has weight issues, and needs intense work on flexibility once he's healed up.  I hope he regains the confidence to go hard in the next couple years.

Noticing a trend here?  The unit responsible for Joe Burrows demise last season, gets bolstered with two IR guys and a developmental guy.  After the lack of OL action in free agency, I'm not very convinced about the Bengals commitment to protecting Joe Burrow, and developing a rushing attack to take some of the load off of his shoulders.

This team needs a true, football GM.  It's about 30 years past time.  THAT, is why I seem pissy during this year's draft.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 06:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Now, taking Jackson freakin' Carman at least a round early, 

Please not this crap again.

Every year there are players that get drafted at least a round or two later than all the "experts" predicted, but fans never say "All 32 NFL teams were wrong and the draft 'experts' are right."  But when a guy gets drafted a round earlier than all the "experts" predict everyone sya the NFL team was wron and the experts were right.

The fact is that if if we don't take Carmen he could have been taken by the very next team in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 06:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Noticing a trend here?  The unit responsible for Joe Burrows demise last season, gets bolstered with two IR guys and a developmental guy.  After the lack of OL action in free agency, I'm not very convinced about the Bengals commitment to protecting Joe Burrow, and developing a rushing attack to take some of the load off of his shoulders.

Carman is not on IR an we added a starting O-lineman in free agency.

Stop making stuff up just to whine about.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 06:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, I apologize if I'm coming off as negative during this draft class, as I'm typically one of the more optimistic personalities on this board.  I've been a fan since I was old enough to understand what football was.  I was blessed with a couple of Superbowl teams put together by Paul Brown in my youth, and have been ever disappointed since controlling ownership passed onto Mike.

I survived the dismal 90's, fully embraced the transition to the Marvin Lewis era, along with it's two complete cycles of highs and lows.  I've always held onto hope that once Katie assumed the controlling nod that things would change for the better.  I even got excited about the uptick in free agency play in the past two years.  However, one relic remains, Duke Tobin.  It's time for him to be relieved of his duty, and a proper GM installed.

Duke's drafts, particularly at the top end, have really been lacking in the past 5-8 years.  I'm tired of it.  We don't need a VP over player personnel that needs to call a former player that's been retired for 14 years to get his opinion on taking a Tackle that just had back surgery..  Enough already, let's just hire a true NFL GM to manage the roster and partner with Katie on making the deals happen.

This draft?  I wanted Sewell, as I thought it would make a definitive statement on the direction the team wants to go, as well as affirm their commitment to protecting the franchise QB.  That didn't happen, but I'm totally fine with Ja'Marr Chase.  He's going to be a super star in the league, and I love that he's now a Bengal.

Now, taking Jackson freakin' Carman at least a round early, after trading 8 spots back and watching really good OL get swooped up?  That is one of those "only the Bengals" moments.  I mean, I could have almost gotten on board with taking the overweight big man with short arms, until I learned about the recent back surgery.  Egad!  I know that many on here are enamored with him, and I suspect it's because he's a "local product" more than anything.

I'm completely fine with the skinny Tackle taken from ECU in the 4th.  He's going to grow and develop into a fine player, in two to three years.

I started to get excited about taking the big Center from Georgia, until I realized that he's coming off of double knee surgeries.  He also has weight issues, and needs intense work on flexibility once he's healed up.  I hope he regains the confidence to go hard in the next couple years.

Noticing a trend here?  The unit responsible for Joe Burrows demise last season, gets bolstered with two IR guys and a developmental guy.  After the lack of OL action in free agency, I'm not very convinced about the Bengals commitment to protecting Joe Burrow, and developing a rushing attack to take some of the load off of his shoulders.

This team needs a true, football GM.  It's about 30 years past time.  THAT, is why I seem pissy during this year's draft.

The 49ers took Aaron Banks 2 picks later. Both he and Carman were projected around the 3rd by most (although PFF had him at 48th overall), but both went in the 2nd. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 06:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Carman is not on IR an we added a starting O-lineman in free agency.

Stop making stuff up just to whine about.

Ok, then why did he not participate in the team's Pro Day, but later scheduled a "private" workout for teams?  Sounds like he's significantly less than 100% to me.

That starting OL we added?  That's an old player, on a one year, bargain deal.  You really think that he's any sort of long term solution?  Reilly Reiff isn't the solution, he's a bandaid on a shotgun blast..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 06:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ok, then why did he not participate in the team's Pro Day, but later scheduled a "private" workout for teams?  Sounds like he's significantly less than 100% to me.

Like I said.  He is not on IR.  Stop making stuff up.

(05-01-2021, 06:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That starting OL we added?  That's an old player, on a one year, bargain deal.  You really think that he's any sort of long term solution?  Reilly Reiff isn't the solution, he's a bandaid on a shotgun blast..

All I am saying is that we added a started who is an upgrade.

You were the one pretending it never happened.

So, again, stop making stuff up.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 07:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Like I said.  He is not on IR.  Stop making stuff up.

All I am saying is that we added a started who is an upgrade.

You were the one pretending it never happened.

So, again, stop making stuff up.

A one year stopgap does not constitute a solution to the problem.  Perhaps you are the one who should "stop"?

Drafting a pair of guys, fresh off of a collective 3 surgeries is not very reassuring, when it comes to retooling the OL that got your franchise QB's knee destroyed last season.  Again, maybe you should just "stop"?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Carman only missed Pro Day because he was still in recovery from the injury. Four weeks later he did a private Pro Day and showed he was 100%. Hill's "surgeries" were one meniscus scope cleanup on each knee. Let's not overstate things. They need fresh blood on the OL and between three picks and Reiff there are 4 new OL from where we were at the end of last season.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 05:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Coming off of 2 knee surgeries.  He and Carman can be star candidates for the All-IR Team!

XSF will be there with them, no doubt.
Reply/Quote
The funny thing is that I saw a lot of people in the draft thread creaming their jeans wanting Jenkins...even though he has very real medical concerns of his own.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 07:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A one year stopgap does not constitute a solution to the problem.

Of course it does.  This argument is comical.  

Only in the Bengal message board world does signing a better starter in free agency not help a problem.  It is amazing the mental gymnastics some fans will go through in order to shit on their own team.

Haters around here praise the Ravens, Browns, and Steelers for making "bold moves" to sign Sammy Watkins, Jadeveon Clowney, and JuJu Smith-Schuster but when the Bengals sign a guy to a one-year dal we are supposed to pretend it never even happened.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 07:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The funny thing is that I saw a lot of people in the draft thread creaming their jeans wanting Jenkins...even though he has very real medical concerns of his own.  Mellow

Browns were stupid to draft Myles Garrett because he will obviously just be on IR.  Same when the Panthers drafted Christian Mcaffrey.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 05:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Coming off of 2 knee surgeries. He and Carman can be star candidates for the All-IR Team!

Us o-line guys can't catch a break.

We've watched busts like Ogbuehi, Fisher, etc.

We finally trade up and take...Bodine. We finally take a Center in first round...bust. We make a trade...bust (Glenn).

The team treats the line like a red headed step child in free agency. We finally sign someone semi-decent (Reiff) and it's a 1 year deal. Yet he's used as an excuse to pass on an amazing line prospect that fell in our laps.

I mean, congrats to all the Chase guys. I get it. He looks really nice. I'm excited to recreate the LSU offense (no sarcasm) too.

But to act like you don't understand where the o-line guys are coming from is kiiiiinda ridiculous. For the 5th off-season in a row, we made a couple moves, but really didn't go "all-in" on the line.

Its been our #1 problem BY FAR for 5 seasons now, yet it's never treated as our #1 priority in the offseason. Signing Reiff to a one year deal and nabbing a couple in rounds 2-4 is nice, but let's be honest...that level of focus doesn't match the level of the problem.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 07:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Of course it does.  This argument is comical.  

Only in the Bengal message board world does signing a better starter in free agency not help a problem.  It is amazing the mental gymnastics some fans will go through in order to shit on their own team.

Haters around here praise the Ravens, Browns, and Steelers for making "bold moves" to sign Sammy Watkins, Jadeveon Clowney, and JuJu Smith-Schuster but when the Bengals sign a guy to a one-year dal we are supposed to pretend it never even happened.

I never said that Reiff won't help, I said he's no solution.  

To bolded, not sure who you're speaking to, but it certainly isn't me.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 07:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Us o-line guys can't catch a break.

We've watched busts like Ogbuehi, Fisher, etc.

We finally trade up and take...Bodine. We finally take a Center in first round...bust. We make a trade...bust (Glenn).

The team treats the line like a red headed step child in free agency. We finally sign someone semi-decent (Reiff) and it's a 1 year deal. Yet he's used as an excuse to pass on an amazing line prospect that fell in our laps.

I mean, congrats to all the Chase guys. I get it. He looks really nice. I'm excited to recreate the LSU offense (no sarcasm) too.

But to act like you don't understand where the o-line guys are coming from is kiiiiinda ridiculous. For the 5th off-season in a row, we made a couple moves, but really didn't go "all-in" on the line.

Its been our #1 problem BY FAR for 5 seasons now, yet it's never treated as our #1 priority in the offseason. Signing Reiff to a one year deal and nabbing a couple in rounds 2-4 is nice, but let's be honest...that level of focus doesn't match the level of the problem.

Reiff's contract is already spread over 2 years, so if he plays well, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bengals bring him back for 2022. Then you add Carman, who is extremely talented and should be better suited at G. Also don't forget about Spain. He came in last year and was forced to play RG and even RT, even though his natural position is LG. I thought he did pretty damn well for the situation he was thrown into.

Also, I've also said before, and I'll say it again, you have to take into account how stubborn and poor of a teacher that Turner was. Replacing him will be a huge factor, IMO. That's not even including the effect that Chase should have on defense. As Pollack said yesterday, he will help the run game as well as the pass game because he will dictate coverages.

I've done my fair damn share of complaining about the o-line over the years, but I honestly feel better about things going into this year...and if you've read my posts about the o-line issues for the past 5 years, you'll know that doesn't come easy for me. LOL
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:11 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Reiff's contract is already spread over 2 years, so if he plays well, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bengals bring him back for 2022. Then you add Carman, who is extremely talented and should be better suited at G. Also don't forget about Spain. He came in last year and was forced to play RG and even RT, even though his natural position is LG. I thought he did pretty damn well for the situation he was thrown into.

Also, I've also said before, and I'll say it again, you have to take into account how stubborn and poor of a teacher that Turner was. Replacing him will be a huge factor, IMO. That's not even including the effect that Chase should have on defense. As Pollack said yesterday, he will help the run game as well as the pass game because he will dictate coverages.

I've done my fair damn share of complaining about the o-line over the years, but I honestly feel better about things going into this year...and if you've read my posts about the o-line issues for the past 5 years, you'll know that doesn't come easy for me. LOL

I wish I could share your optimism, but as it stands, most of the improvement we'll see this year will be due to Pollack, who I do feel is an amazing coach. I'm not as sold on the bodies we added though. It was barely above a standard issue offseason for us, as far as free agency/draft.

Is there a 2nd year option for Reiff? Gotta admit I haven't really looked into that...I just keep hearing he's on a 1 year deal.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote