Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Higgins Mock Trade. Would you?
Nope
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 12:27 AM)tms Wrote: You'd like to think so but it's a fair question. There's only so much pie. Just last summer KC parted ways with Tyreek, presumably because he and Mahomes couldn't co-exist on the same payroll. Adams-Rodgers, same thing. At this point in history QB1s and WR1s are arguably the most overpaid of all positions. 

I'm no capologist but I do know it'll be tough to juggle those two contracts (Burrow and Chase). To say nothing of keeping Tee Higgins as well. Not saying it can't be done, just that it'll be tough. It's why I personally find a deal like this (for Will Anderson Jr) so intriguing. It partly gets us out from under the weight of extending all these guys at the same time. But it also presupposes that Anderson will be a star- which is a gamble. Whereas we already know what Tee is.

Either way, if this team wants to compete on a sustainable basis they'll need to stagger the deals- one way or the other... and sooner than later. 

Well, and if we do keep Burrow, Tee, and Chase...guys like Reader, Hendrickson, and Wilson are likely gone.

It sucks. But, we'll have a dominant offense and mediocre defense.

These last 2 years and next year really are a golden opportunity at a SB.
Reply/Quote
I can’t get that drunk anymore, not as drunk as the guy who wrote that must have been.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 03:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well, and if we do keep Burrow, Tee, and Chase...guys like Reader, Hendrickson, and Wilson are likely gone.

It sucks. But, we'll have a dominant offense and mediocre defense.

These last 2 years and next year really are a golden opportunity at a SB.

Yeah... it's a good problem to have, though. I think they'll be alright. For one, creative accounting has become the norm in this league. If there's a way to do it, I'm sure they will. But even so, Burrow- if he's the guy we think he is- he'll soon start grooming receivers the way that Manning, Brady, Rodgers and all the greats have done. That's kinda part of the job. You'd love to give him weapons long-term like Tee and Uno and bona fide stars who'd be productive anywhere. But great quarterbacks are elevators. I see it as a good sign that even in limited snaps, players like Irwin, Taylor, heck even Hurst and Uzomah last year... they've all been quite serviceable. I expect that trend to continue. 

I totally agree that the next year or two are the most convenient window. But I also agree with Burrow that the window is open for the duration of his career. It'll just be a little trickier. I'm stoked for whatever happens because the quarterback is king in the NFL. As long as we have him, we'll be fine imo.
Reply/Quote
How bout this scenario?

Bears recieve:
Higgins
28th overall pick

Bengals recieve:
1st or 2nd overall (as long as they don't drop past 2)
Bears 3rd or 4th round pick

...we grab Will Anderson and get our playmaker on defense. We also add an extra 3rd or 4th round pick in a deep class. Instead of going for Tee's replacement this year we wait until next year and in the meantime sign a ring chasing vet like OBJ to a one year deal. Or go the KC route and bring in a couple B+ guys and spread it out. Then they are off the books as we extend Chase and we target a WR stud next years draft.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 01:52 AM)Esc33 Wrote: How bout this scenario?

Bears recieve:
Higgins
28th overall pick

Bengals recieve:
1st or 2nd overall (as long as they don't drop past 2)
Bears 3rd or 4th round pick

...we grab Will Anderson and get our playmaker on defense. We also add an extra 3rd or 4th round pick in a deep class. Instead of going for Tee's replacement this year we wait until next year and in the meantime sign a ring chasing vet like OBJ to a one year deal. Or go the KC route and bring in a couple B+ guys and spread it out. Then they are off the books as we extend Chase and we target a WR stud next years draft.

I'm starting to geek out over Anderson's potential so maybe a Tee for Anderson deal would be a good move for the Bengals?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
While I like the idea of getting a great pass rusher, I don't think it should come at this cost.
The Bengals would be able to find a really good rotational pass rusher who could develop into a starter in a year or two, but take that player at 28 or later.

Heck, trade Higgins for an early 2nd rounder so you don't have to give up nearly as much (or anything). There's always great talent that falls out of the 1st round and is available in the mid-late 30's, just like Higgins was in 2020 draft. CHI, HOU, and IND all have picks early in the 2nd round and might be willing to trade that pick for Higgins straight up.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 07:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Trading Tee and GETTING picks makes sense.
Trading tee and GIVING picks makes no sense.

The Bengals need more cheap controllable talent with an extension for Burrow and next year Chase looming, not less. Using a 1st, 2nd, AND 3rd round pick on a player doesn't make sense. I don't like anyone in this draft nearly that much and that's even before you also add in trading away Tee. You're turning 4 players into 1.

Well said TLL, big NO to this Mock trade idea.... Mellow
Reply/Quote