Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Comp Picks
(03-20-2023, 06:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: In fairness to Marvin he was never allowed to greatly participate in FA, let alone sign an Orlando Brown. So he had to rely on drafting players with a 4 person scouting "department". A lot easier when you operate like an actual NFL franchise and can just go out and sign an Orlando Brown, Ted Karras, Alex Cappa, DJ Reader, Trey Hendrickson, Chidobe Awuzie, etc.

I think Marvin had more say in personnel during his 2.0 Era. That Athletic article mentioned Mike Brown favored going after "Ferrari" players while Marvin liked blue collar lunch pail types of players. Rapien mentioned on LOB that James Harrison was brought in against Mike Zimmer's wishes. That signing screamed Marvin. I believe during the Bodine PC, after he was drafted, Marvin made it seem that Duke's job during the draft is to be the trade guy.

I know Marvin and Duke seemed to be clashing a little bit towards the end of Marvin's time here. The 2019 offseason was just a cluster with Zac's late hiring, but it's amazing how fast things changed starting with 2020. I'm not dismissing the Burrow effect, but I wouldn't be surprised if Duke, Steve Radicevic, and Zac decided that sitting out FA was a terrible philosophy. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 01:28 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I think Marvin had more say in personnel during his 2.0 Era. That Athletic article mentioned Mike Brown favored going after "Ferrari" players while Marvin liked blue collar lunch pail types of players. Rapien mentioned on LOB that James Harrison was brought in against Mike Zimmer's wishes. That signing screamed Marvin. I believe during the Bodine PC, after he was drafted, Marvin made it seem that Duke's job during the draft is to be the trade guy.

I know Marvin and Duke seemed to be clashing a little bit towards the end of Marvin's time here. The 2019 offseason was just a cluster with Zac's late hiring, but it's amazing how fast things changed starting with 2020. I'm not dismissing the Burrow effect, but I wouldn't be surprised if Duke, Steve Radicevic, and Zac decided that sitting out FA was a terrible philosophy. 

Even before then, 2019...
BW Webb: 3yr/$10.5m
John Miller: 3yr/$16.5m

That's not DJ Reader and Trey Hendrickson, but it was already way more than we were used to seeing from the Bengals. From a quick search it looks like the only >$1m outside FA signings in 2018 were Preston Brown for 1yr/$4m and Matt Barkley for 2yr/$3.1m. In 2017 it was bringing back Andre Smith at 1yr/$3.25m and signing Kevin Minter to 1yr/$4.25m. In 2016 it was Brandon LaFell for 1yr/$2.5m and Karlos Dansby for 1yr/$2m.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote