Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Higgins or Chase…Who’s The Better Reciever
(03-18-2023, 12:07 PM)Go Cards Wrote: One game is a pretty small litmus test 

It's all we got, so we're allowed to use it. Even those Tee only missed one game and Ja'Marr missed 4 ja'Marr was still targeted more times than Tee. The fact that JB force-feeds Ja'Mar may have something to do with the stat differential you posted earlier. 

Tee Higgins finished 3rd in the NFL in Yards/target last year. How would their stats look if targets were reversed? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They each make the other better. You can’t cover man-to-man on either. There isn’t a better WR tandem that’s better in the NFL. Remove one, and the other’s stats will fall because of the way defenses can focus on one, not both, at the same time.

In their respective roles, they both exceed expectations.

I’m glad they are both on our team and hope they will be well into the future.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 12:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's all we got, so we're allowed to use it. Even those Tee only missed one game and Ja'Marr missed 4 ja'Marr was still targeted more times than Tee. The fact that JB force-feeds Ja'Mar may have something to do with the stat differential you posted earlier. 

Tee Higgins finished 3rd in the NFL in Yards/target last year. How would their stats look if targets were reversed? 

Tee did a really good job of catching the deep ball last year. He had the 10th highest catch percentage on passes that traveled 20+ yards in the air and was tied for 5th in TDs caught under that same metric. He became more of the "big-play" guy with Chase transitioning to shorter passes and doing damage with YAC. You can kind of see this transition by looking at Chase's play in the slot where he received 44 of his targets, up 62% from his 2021 numbers. 

Chase's average depth per target was 9.8 yards (30th out of 40) whereas Tee's was 12 yards (17th out of 40). It feels like they were just trying to get Chase the ball any way they could and letting him work after the catch. Both were really efficient, just in different ways. 
Reply/Quote
Tee Higgins is really good. He has developed into a very good route runner that uses his size really well but its Chase simply because Tee's nine balls are always back shoulder or a jump ball.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 08:48 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: To breakup the free agent anxiety permeating this board.  I throw out this question.

My answer was going to Higgins but as I was justifying my choice it occurred to me Chase was just as good but doesn’t have the height and Higgins tad slower.  So my answer is push and we will have a potent offense when the line is finally fixed!

Who Dey….great time to be a Bengals fan especially for the old timers like me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're joking, right?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 10:06 AM)OSUfan Wrote: They are different but complimentary receivers. I am not sure that you can say one is better than the other because they both bring different strengths to the field but both are deadly to a defense.

Yes you can.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Let's not forget. When Ja'Marr and Jefferson had Burrow throwing the ball to both of them, Ja'Marr was considered the better WR. Since they have parted ways...

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 08:48 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: To breakup the free agent anxiety permeating this board.  I throw out this question.

My answer was going to Higgins but as I was justifying my choice it occurred to me Chase was just as good but doesn’t have the height and Higgins tad slower.  So my answer is push and we will have a potent offense when the line is finally fixed!

Who Dey….great time to be a Bengals fan especially for the old timers like me.

I bet you got a lot of flack for this post Bronx lol

Chase is the best WR in the league when healthy. Tee might be the best #2 in the league when healthy.

No question who is the better WR...
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 02:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Let's not forget. When Ja'Marr and Jefferson had Burrow throwing the ball to both of them, Ja'Marr was considered the better WR. Since they have parted ways...

Jamarr was considered better than Jefferson after 2021, but 2022 Jefferson took the title back
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 02:26 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Jamarr was considered better than Jefferson after 2021, but 2022 Jefferson took the title back

He good.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 02:26 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Jamarr was considered better than Jefferson after 2021, but 2022 Jefferson took the title back

By who?

JJ had 108 receptions for 1616 yards in 21

Reply/Quote
Chase is the better receiver. He’s quicker in and out if his cuts and turns into a legit running back with elite strength and balance after the catch.
Higgins is just a huge length nightmare.

CTB did say that if a back up qb was on, Tee was the harder cover, but with Burrow, Chase was impossible.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 02:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: By who?

Possibly by those who include playoff and SB games in their equation.

Jefferson’s the best right now but Chase has had some good games when it mattered most. That is because his team and QB are better for sure but still those games have to count when comparing players. Jefferson is great but didn’t do much in their playoff game last year.

If I had to rank them then yes I would say Jefferson because of his stats. However, it’s not a reach to say that after the SB year some thought Chase was the best WR (and how would we rate them if the Bengals line could’ve held up for a second longer on the last play of that SB? Chase would most likely be a guy who caught the SB winning TD against one of the leagues top CBs).
Reply/Quote

Yes but Chase broke JJ’s rookie record, so most people factored that in after 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 10:34 AM)BengalBob Wrote: Tee is a top 10 receiver.

Chase is a generational talent.

Why can we not throw deep to Chase then if he is a generational talent, he should be able to beat double coverage consistently.
Reply/Quote

You leave out TD's on purpose I see... Wink
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 12:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's all we got, so we're allowed to use it. Even those Tee only missed one game and Ja'Marr missed 4 ja'Marr was still targeted more times than Tee. The fact that JB force-feeds Ja'Mar may have something to do with the stat differential you posted earlier. 

Didn't Tee really miss more than that? Remember the game where he played like 1 snap, and then was pulled? He also left the opener, and Ja'Marr went off. I'm definitely not knocking Higgins. The dude has stand alone value, and had a great rookie season before Ja'Marr was even in the league.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 03:12 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Why can we not throw deep to Chase then if he is a generational talent, he should be able to beat double coverage consistently.

He does, when Burrow has the time to let the play develop.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 03:12 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Why can we not throw deep to Chase then if he is a generational talent, he should be able to beat double coverage consistently.

Exactly….not a Chase hater at all here. I just like Higgins height better. In certain situations that’s a huge advantage. The both complement each very well. I hope they can play together for a long time

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 03:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You leave out TD's on purpose I see... Wink

Yeah, those are kind of a big deal aren’t they. At least the debate between 2 top 5 WR’s like JJ and Chase actually has some merit. Unlike this thread.

Reply/Quote