Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Higgins or Chase…Who’s The Better Reciever
(03-18-2023, 10:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This is why I wasn't sure about drafting Chase. Or I should say it's one reason why I was apprehensive about it. Teams just don't pay a superstar QB and a pair of star WRs. It's way too much money just on the passing game. Higgins showed a lot as a rookie, too.

That said, I definitely think Chase is the better of the two. Although it's probably a lot closer than some would like to admit.

Philly doesn’t make that Super Bowl this season without adding AJ Brown. I’m of the mindset that you give your QB as many weapons as possible, no matter how good he is. Look at Rodgers in GB. I think most would agree only one trip to the Super Bowl was a massive underachievement for a QB of his caliber. Especially in the NFC where they didn’t even have to get through Brady and the Pats all those years. They did him a massive disservice by never surrounding him with enough weapons.

Now ofc you can’t let paying the skill positions stop you from addressing other areas like the trenches. That’s the balancing act, and why GM’s (or Duke in our case) get paid the big bucks. It’s not an easy job.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 10:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This is why I wasn't sure about drafting Chase. Or I should say it's one reason why I was apprehensive about it. Teams just don't pay a superstar QB and a pair of star WRs. It's way too much money just on the passing game. Higgins showed a lot as a rookie, too.

That said, I definitely think Chase is the better of the two. Although it's probably a lot closer than some would like to admit.

It's why you go ahead and draft Chase, then shop Higgins for a bunch of picks when the time comes. Higgins is really good and i love having him on the team but Chase does a lot of things Higgins can't do and he's a legitimate elite NFL receiver.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 11:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's why you go ahead and draft Chase, then shop Higgins for a bunch of picks when the time comes. Higgins is really good and i love having him on the team but Chase does a lot of things Higgins can't do and he's a legitimate elite NFL receiver.

Like that awesome pitch-out sweep. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 10:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: *sigh*

Ofc they don’t “trump” yards and receptions. But TD’s are important, too, and you purposely omitted them. Period. I was not even the first person to call you out on it, Nate was.

The dude who stated 3 TDs trumped yards and catches? 

Of course, folks who want to counter point to TDs, but the NFL doesn't when it lists the reception leaders each year. 

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 11:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Like that awesome pitch-out sweep. 

Maybe faulk was referring to stuff like this…

[Image: FIHk2MDX0A4aJql?format=jpg&name=small]

[Image: 6278630000001-1024x576.jpg]

Just a guess.

If you showed those screenshots to someone who hadn’t watched the games would they believe you when you told them they both resulted in TD’s?

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 11:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Maybe faulk was referring to stuff like this…

[Image: FIHk2MDX0A4aJql?format=jpg&name=small]

[Image: 6278630000001-1024x576.jpg]

Just a guess.

If you showed those screenshots to someone who hadn’t watched the games would they believe you when you told them they both resulted in TD’s?
Yep, Chase is an awesome WR. 

Reply/Quote
I can't believe this is an actual thread, from the question asked to the spelling of receiver.

Only one of the two made the list of top 100 players and Pro Bowl. Only one set a Bengals record for most receiving yards in a game and most receiving yards in a season and crushed the NFL's rookie receiver records (most by rookie in game, in postseason, and season overall). Only one was named the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year. The Bengals went to the Super Bowl in Chase's first year and almost the second year. Did fans forget how transformational Chase has been? I suppose the fans who think this is an actual question are still advocating for Sewell over Chase, because, you know, we have Higgins and don't need Chase.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 11:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Like that awesome pitch-out sweep. 

The one that got them a first down in the playoff game? 

Yep.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 11:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The dude who stated 3 TDs trumped yards and catches? 

Of course, folks who want to counter point to TDs, but the NFL doesn't when it lists the reception leaders each year. 

Guys like Pierre Garcon and Josh Gordon have led the league in receptions and yards. It’s not the end-all-be-all. Obviously TD’s aren’t either. There’s been plenty of just “pretty good” players that led the league in that category as well. It just seems helpful to look at all the numbers together, and that way you have as much to compare as possible.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 11:43 PM)Nepa Wrote: I can't believe this is an actual thread, from the question asked to the spelling of receiver.

Only one of the two made the list of top 100 players and Pro Bowl. Only one set a Bengals record for most receiving yards in a game and most receiving yards in a season and crushed the NFL's rookie receiver records (most by rookie in game, in postseason, and season overall). Only one was named the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year. The Bengals went to the Super Bowl in Chase's first year and almost the second year. Did fans forget how transformational Chase has been? I suppose the fans who think this is an actual question are still advocating for Sewell over Chase, because, you know, we have Higgins and don't need Chase.

Even comparing the rookie years of Chase and Higgins isn’t legit. Chase had Burrow throwing to him for the full season. If my old man memory is correct, Mr. Burrow had a devastating knee injury around half way through Higgins rookie season. And if my old man memory is correct, Brandon Allen and Ryan Finley were the de facto starting QBs. My spelling may not be to the level of the Webster dictionary, but I would think having Ryan Finley or Brandon Allen would impact a wide RECEIVER stats unless there are people out there who think these two QB were just as good as Burrow. Also, everything slows down for a young QB in his second season which would benefit a high caliber rookie wide RECEIVER. In addition, the Covid restrictions on practices during Higgins rookie years would impact needed reps which weren’t there during Chases rookie year. Comparing rookie stats has it limitations.

These RECEIVERS complement each other very well. It is funny how some of you react to the question. Now I have to add not only never to discuss religion and politics on this board but to add never discuss who is better Chase or Higgins. I don’t believe Chase is that much better. He may be better, but not that much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 08:47 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Even comparing the rookie years of Chase and Higgins isn’t legit.  Chase had Burrow throwing to him for the full season.  If my old man memory is correct, Mr. Burrow had a devastating knee injury around half way through Higgins rookie season.  And if my old man memory is correct, Brandon Allen and Ryan Finley were the de facto starting QBs.  My spelling may not be to the level of the Webster dictionary, but I would think having Ryan Finley or Brandon Allen would impact a wide RECEIVER stats unless there are people out there who think these two QB were just as good as Burrow.  Also, everything slows down for a young QB in his second season which would benefit a high caliber rookie wide RECEIVER.  In addition, the Covid restrictions on practices during Higgins rookie years would impact needed reps which weren’t there during Chases rookie year.  Comparing rookie stats has it limitations.  

These RECEIVERS complement each other very well.  It is funny how some of you react to the question.  Now I have to add not only never to discuss religion and politics on this board but to add never discuss who is better Chase or Higgins.  I don’t believe Chase is that much better.  He may be better, but not that much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is where I'm at, This board thrives on telling others how wrong they are. I've stated in my OPINION Ja'Marr is the better receiver at this point. I simply added "context" like volume and usage. It is definitely a worthy off-season discussion and doesn't need folks chiming in with "no merit", "ridiculous", "is this serious" ect. And we damn sure don't need members personally insulting each other if their OPINION happens to differ. That's some true "Fred" stuff

Like I said IRT to the discussion and without all the angst IN MY OPINION:

Justin Jefferson is currently the best WR in the NFL and has been better than Chase since they quit receiving balls from the same QB

Ja'Marr Chase is currently a better NFL WR than Tee Higgins, but a lot of that can be attributed to usage

Tee Higgins can be elite on his own, he doesn't need to benefit from Chase "drawing coverage".

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 10:53 AM)bfine32 Wrote: This is where I'm at, This board thrives on telling others how wrong they are. I've stated in my OPINION Ja'Marr is the better receiver at this point. I simply added "context" like volume and usage. It is definitely a worthy off-season discussion and doesn't need folks chiming in with "no merit", "ridiculous", "is this serious" ect. And we damn sure don't need members personally insulting each other if their OPINION happens to differ. That's some true "Fred" stuff

Like I said IRT to the discussion and without all the angst IN MY OPINION:

Justin Jefferson is currently the best WR in the NFL and has been better than Chase since they quit receiving balls from the same QB

Ja'Marr Chase is currently a better NFL WR than Tee Higgins, but a lot of that can be attributed to usage

Tee Higgins can be elite on his own, he doesn't need to benefit from Chase "drawing coverage".

WTH didn't you just trash me in a thread for referring to the great one FredToast? And saying it is an insult to other posters lmfao  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 09:18 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: WTH didn't you just trash me in a thread for referring to the great one FredToast? And saying it is an insult to other posters lmfao  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Yes. The post you quoted was in response to someone else coming up with the same tired insult. 

You didn't think you had a monopoly on baseless insults, did you? 

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 09:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes. The post you quoted was in response to someone else coming up with the same tired insult. 

You didn't think you had a monopoly on baseless insults, did you? 

My post was 5 hours ago, and your post was 10 hours ago I just thought it might be fresh in your memory and you might backspace that comment once it clicked in your head.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 11:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Philly doesn’t make that Super Bowl this season without adding AJ Brown. I’m of the mindset that you give your QB as many weapons as possible, no matter how good he is. Look at Rodgers in GB. I think most would agree only one trip to the Super Bowl was a massive underachievement for a QB of his caliber. Especially in the NFC where they didn’t even have to get through Brady and the Pats all those years. They did him a massive disservice by never surrounding him with enough weapons.

Now ofc you can’t let paying the skill positions stop you from addressing other areas like the trenches. That’s the balancing act, and why GM’s (or Duke in our case) get paid the big bucks. It’s not an easy job.

I'm not going down this rabbit hole again but to counter the Rodgers part of it, how many titles does Brady have in New England throwing to nobodies that he made somebodies.

Remember when Brady got the generational talent at WR in Randy Moss...and then didn't win the Super Bowl. Lots of people around here like to call Chase generational and compare him to Moss. Moss broke records, but up crazy stats...and has 0 titles. I'll take titles and Troy Brown like WRs, or Deion Branch, or Julian Edelman all day every day.

Rodgers is his own worst enemy with some of that Favre like gunslinger mentality and it gets him into trouble. Burrow has the mental side like Brady does and doesn't need the flashy guys.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 10:15 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'm not going down this rabbit hole again but to counter the Rodgers part of it, how many titles does Brady have in New England throwing to nobodies that he made somebodies.

Remember when Brady got the generational talent at WR in Randy Moss...and then didn't win the Super Bowl. Lots of people around here like to call Chase generational and compare him to Moss. Moss broke records, but up crazy stats...and has 0 titles. I'll take titles and Troy Brown like WRs, or Deion Branch, or Julian Edelman all day every day.

Rodgers is his own worst enemy with some of that Favre like gunslinger mentality and it gets him into trouble. Burrow has the mental side like Bradhttp://thebengalsboard.com/newreply.php?tid=35220&replyto=1343360y does and doesn't need the flashy guys.

Expecting any QB to recreate the trajectory of Tom Brady is folly. He’s a true anomaly. From where he was drafted, to the career he ended up having.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 10:15 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Rodgers is his own worst enemy with some of that Favre like gunslinger mentality and it gets him into trouble. Burrow has the mental side like Brady does and doesn't need the flashy guys.

Also, what??

Rodgers is anything but a gunslinger. He has the lowest INT% of all time.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 11:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Expecting any QB to recreate the trajectory of Tom Brady is folly. He’s a true anomaly. From where he was drafted, to the career he ended up having.

Then compare it to Mahomes, who won with the exact same recipe. Gronk or Kelce, either way, elite TE with a WR room full of mid tier vets and rookies.

That's the current winning formula. That's been my stance since pre-drafting Chase. And unfortunately, history continues to repeat itself.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 10:15 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'm not going down this rabbit hole again but to counter the Rodgers part of it, how many titles does Brady have in New England throwing to nobodies that he made somebodies.

Rodgers is his own worst enemy with some of that Favre like gunslinger mentality and it gets him into trouble. Burrow has the mental side like Brady does and doesn't need the flashy guys.

That last sentence is odd. When has Burrow not had "flashy" guys? He wasn't all that in 2018. He had the 2 best WRs in college football in 2019. He was pretty good as a rookie with a shell of AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, and a rookie Tee Higgins. He's been really good with 2 flashy guys since. We don't have any precedent of Burrow getting the job done with a Branch and Troy Brown type as his WRs.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 11:21 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Then compare it to Mahomes, who won with the exact same recipe. Gronk or Kelce, either way, elite TE with a WR room full of mid tier vets and rookies.

That's the current winning formula. That's been my stance since pre-drafting Chase. And unfortunately, history continues to repeat itself.

I’m down to follow KC’s model. Strong OL, top QB, and at least one truly elite weapon (ours would just be Chase instead of Kelce). Is Zac Taylor the next Andy Reid though?

Reply/Quote