Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Higgins toe tap from other angle
(09-26-2022, 01:15 AM)TKUHL Wrote: As for this play, I thought if you have possession as soon as the other toe taps down it’s a TD. What’s the difference between that play and running towards the sideline in the endzone getting both toes down before immediately going out.

It's hard enough to tell in real time on the field whether the receiver got his feet in bounds.  Now we're expecting refs to sit there and try to determine if the part of the foot that was in bounds landed just a millisecond before the part that landed out of bounds?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hence, why refs usually call the td on close plays and let the review sort it out. On this play the only ref who has a clear view of the back line is all the way on the other side of the field. This should have been called a td and gone to auto review.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 01:27 AM)Whatever Wrote: It's hard enough to tell in real time on the field whether the receiver got his feet in bounds.  Now we're expecting refs to sit there and try to determine if the part of the foot that was in bounds landed just a millisecond before the part that landed out of bounds?  

Yes that’s exactly what I expect on potential scoring plays.
Reply/Quote
He looked to stay inbounds to me but it was very close and maybe he does not.

Either way it was a crazy good catch and toe tap by Higgins.

Will add that I don't like that the refs have to call TD to get the review on these types of plays. It just seems to me that any play that is that close to being a TD or not a TD should automatically be reviewed.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
If a player is on the sideline in the endzone ( not running towards the sideline) jumps up or reaches for the catch and taps his toes while falling out of bounds that’s a catch. So what is the difference.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 02:04 AM)TKUHL Wrote: If a player is on the sideline in the endzone ( not running towards the sideline) jumps up or reaches for the catch and taps his toes while falling out of bounds that’s a catch. So what is the difference.

I agree. Awhile back there was another one similar to this where Chad came down with it and his toes clearly tapped first, then his heal came down out of bounds after he already had both feet in. Was ruled not a catch for the same reason and it doesn't make sense. Hopefully they change the rule at some point.
Reply/Quote
I gotta say, I'm getting fed up with all the head shots Tee is taking. Both hits (Steelers and Jets) should really garner suspensions or fines at the least.

I was also thinking hits like his should result in more than 15 yards. If teams are going to be able to trade taking Tee out of the game for a 15 yard penalty and no suspension, most teams would take that gamble. The NFL needs to make the punishment more severe--or at least start suspending players for these kinds of hits. If it were Burfict he'd be suspended for the season. We need a more fair and balanced approach by the NFL to these dirty plays.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 11:32 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I think it’s close, but you’re full of shit if you say that his heels definitely didn’t touch. You just can’t tell. People are looking at this one through orange tinted glasses, thus the complaining.

If the refs would have initially called it a TD, it would have stayed that way. Unfortunately, it went the other way.

Yep and, again, AS YOU MENTION, it's all based off the initial ruling on the field. Had it been ruled a TD then it stays a TD.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 10:05 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I gotta say, I'm getting fed up with all the head shots Tee is taking. Both hits (Steelers and Jets) should really garner suspensions or fines at the least.

I noticed the jets were playing a somewhat dirty style of football like the Steelers do

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the defensive strategies was to take out Higgins. Because Higgins is really that X factor.

Teams are gonna double Jamarr, and Tee is an elite receiver getting one on one match ups
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 02:04 AM)TKUHL Wrote: If a player is on the sideline in the endzone ( not running towards the sideline) jumps up or reaches for the catch and taps his toes while falling out of bounds that’s a catch. So what is the difference.

The simplest explanation is that if your foot comes down at any point during the catch, your entire foot has to stay in bounds. If the heels come down at any point during the catch, they have to stay in bounds. A simple toe drag counts as a catch because the toes are the only thing to come down. 

It's a dumb rule, but the correct interpretation of the rule. 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 10:08 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: I noticed the jets were playing a somewhat dirty style of football like the Steelers do

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the defensive strategies was to take out Higgins. Because Higgins is really that X factor.

Teams are gonna double Jamarr, and Tee is an elite receiver getting one on one match ups

I thought the Jets played a really good game in terms of taking both Mixon and Chase out of the game and forcing us to throw to everyone else. 

But you're right, I think they took it too far in terms of targeting Higgins to take him off the field as an option.

Tee's been targeted 2/3 games so far. I expect more of it as the season goes along. Sad that the NFL is doing nothing about it.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 10:13 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I thought the Jets played a really good game in terms of taking both Mixon and Chase out of the game and forcing us to throw to everyone else. 

But you're right, I think they took it too far in terms of targeting Higgins to take him off the field as an option.

Tee's been targeted 2/3 games so far. I expect more of it as the season goes along. Sad that the NFL is doing nothing about it.

I think teams know that Tee isn’t the superstar chase is, so they figure they can get away with cheap shotting Tee
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 01:15 AM)TKUHL Wrote: As for this play, I thought if you have possession as soon as the other toe taps down it’s a TD. What’s the difference between that play and running towards the sideline in the endzone getting both toes down before immediately going out.

When I asked this question in GD thread someone informed me it's the angle, if you're falling out forward, the toes count, if you're falling out backwards the heels have to touch. Either way if this was in the super bowl and we lost because of it, a rule change needs to occur lol. Actually I think if Tee kept walking on tip toes though (and nevr put his heel down) it would have counted, it's because his heel came down out of bounds I guess, if his next step was another tip toe out of bounds it would have counted lol. It definitely looked like Tee tried to not get his heel down out of bounds but barely failed, cleats too long lol.

It made me think of someone running tip toes into the endzone and it doesn't count because they never landed their heel lol, or if they jumped with one leg the whole way, they don't have possession because 2 feet are not down.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 10:05 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I gotta say, I'm getting fed up with all the head shots Tee is taking. Both hits (Steelers and Jets) should really garner suspensions or fines at the least.

I was also thinking hits like his should result in more than 15 yards. If teams are going to be able to trade taking Tee out of the game for a 15 yard penalty and no suspension, most teams would take that gamble. The NFL needs to make the punishment more severe--or at least start suspending players for these kinds of hits. If it were Burfict he'd be suspended for the season. We need a more fair and balanced approach by the NFL to these dirty plays.

I agree... losing a player potentially for the season and the max punishment is 15 yards?  Hell I haven't even seen the Burrow low hit be mentioned yet and IMO that was just as dirty. Somehow not flagged.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2021%20-%20Rule%20Book%20%20Case%20Book.pdf
Quote:A.R. 15.104    Heel/toe
Third-and-10 on A30. A2 controls a pass and gets his left foot down in bounds at the 50. As his right foot comes down, the heel hits in bounds and in the normal motion of taking a step, his toes hit out of bounds. Officials rule complete. Ruling: Reviewable. A’s ball fourth-and-10 on A30. Incomplete. Adjust clock if wound before review. If any part of the foot hits out of bounds during the normal process of taking a step (no drag or delay), then the foot is out of bounds. 
The most important part of that is the final sentence. If your toe tap is part of taking a step, and part of your foot goes out, it's out of bounds. It's the difference between a step and a toe drag.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s such a weird rule that it’s a catch if you’re falling forward and only get your toes  in.

Tee and Chase have had 2 of the nicest non-TD’s you will see all season.

Because that is all that touches.  The equivalent would be getting your heels down and then your toes touch out of bounds. Nobody would argue with that.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 01:39 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Because that is all that touches.  The equivalent would be getting your heels down and then your toes touch out of bounds. Nobody would argue with that.

Well, I don’t see many “heel tap” catches (Tongue) but I get what you’re saying.

Reply/Quote
Wasn’t this ruled a TD?

[Image: FdhJTYOWYAAmTPJ?format=jpg&name=medium]

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 11:02 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: The thing is Zack had to challenge to get the review. The play should have been called a td on the field and then gone to automatic review. Could have been insufficient evidence to overturn. Instead Bengals lose a time out.

Well if the Bengals Lost the Challenge it should NOT have been called a TD then correct?
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 02:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well if the Bengals Lost the Challenge it should NOT have been called a TD then correct?

The point that is being ignored is the fact that Zach had to use a challenge and subsequently lost a time out. If the call on the field is td, as is the norm on close plays, then review is automatic. Ultimately, it did not matter in the outcome of the game, but still cost us a time out unnecessarily. 
Reply/Quote