Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Comedy from Hobson
(02-24-2021, 12:45 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd scratch Mack off your list. He's getting up there in age and has been slowly trending down in a lot of metrics the last 3 years. He's the kind of guy the Bengals would pick up in the past, past their prime and a year or two too late to get any good production out of. 

Still, we need some type of insurance in case Hopkins isn't ready to go. Price has been a bust so far.

I think many are ignoring Center on here. Hopkins is coming off of injury.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 02:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But what if Lawson, Atkins, and Daniels aren't on the team this year?  Ninja

Lawson is getting tagged most likely, I didn't mention Atkins and I figure we can bring Daniels back for even cheaper than last seasons contract.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 05:55 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Lawson is getting tagged most likely, I didn't mention Atkins and I figure we can bring Daniels back for even cheaper than last seasons contract.

I thought Mike Daniels took a cheap prove-it deal because the Packers cut him. He only made $1.25 mill in 2020. I would expect he'd want at least that much again, if not more.

I hope Lawson does not get tagged, or at least doesn't play on the tag. Tags are too expensive, and the Bengals usually use them on players who should not have been tagged. The Tag for DE is $17 mill. If the Bengals have Lawson make that much, it might limit what other player(s) they could get in FA. Hopefully, the tag would be a temporary thing while they work out a long-term (3-4 year) deal that's less APY.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 05:55 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Lawson is getting tagged most likely

God, let's hope not.

The tag amount for a defensive end in 2021 is close to 20 million dollars. 
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 04:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Still, we need some type of insurance in case Hopkins isn't ready to go. Price has been a bust so far.

I think many are ignoring Center on here. Hopkins is coming off of injury.

It might not be a bad sign if he comes in knowing he's only starting until Hopkins comes back and then he's backup #1 at C, and he's paid accordingly. He could probably do that for a couple more years. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 08:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I thought Mike Daniels took a cheap prove-it deal because the Packers cut him. He only made $1.25 mill in 2020. I would expect he'd want at least that much again, if not more.

I hope Lawson does not get tagged, or at least doesn't play on the tag. Tags are too expensive, and the Bengals usually use them on players who should not have been tagged. The Tag for DE is $17 mill. If the Bengals have Lawson make that much, it might limit what other player(s) they could get in FA. Hopefully, the tag would be a temporary thing while they work out a long-term (3-4 year) deal that's less APY.
He did and he proved very little, granted he was injured a third of the season and had Kung Flu. 
(02-25-2021, 08:35 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: God, let's hope not.

I don't want him tagged either, I want an extension. But regardless, my point was the D-Line is less of a priority than the O-Line. 

Even if they lose Lawson and Daniels in FA, our D-Line is still better than our O-Line. Reader and Hubbard alone are twice as good as any of our front six. Perhaps Jonah will be up there, but he's yet to prove it, which is understandable since he was basically a rookie last season.

Our top needs on offense are line and tight end. Our tops needs on defense are line and backers equally, then corners.
Reply/Quote

It's estimated just over $17 mill.
Quite a lot.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

(02-26-2021, 10:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It's estimated just over $17 mill.
Quite a lot.

In Lou Anarumo's 34 defense Carl Lawson is an Outside Linebacker... Linebacker tag is only 15.6 mil.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2021, 10:52 AM)Synric Wrote: In Lou Anarumo's 34 defense Carl Lawson is an Outside Linebacker... Linebacker tag is only 15.6 mil.

Carl Lawson is listed as a DE on the Bengals website. If they try to put him as a 3-4 OLB to get his tag down, he can turn around and say they themselves label him as a DE.
https://www.bengals.com/team/players-roster/carl-lawson/
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2021, 11:16 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Carl Lawson is listed as a DE on the Bengals website. If they try to put him as a 3-4 OLB to get his tag down, he can turn around and say they themselves label him as a DE.
https://www.bengals.com/team/players-roster/carl-lawson/

That website matters very little they rarely update that besides to add new players. Lawson has played more 34 OLB than any other position over the last two years.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2021, 12:55 PM)Synric Wrote: That website matters very little they rarely update that besides to add new players. Lawson has played more 34 OLB than any other position over the last two years.

If he can be tagged as OLB to save a couple mill, I'm all for it. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if he's tagged as a DE.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2021, 12:55 PM)Synric Wrote: That website matters very little they rarely update that besides to add new players. Lawson has played more 34 OLB than any other position over the last two years.

I think the base nickel defense that this team runs would probably make most of those snaps as a DE.  I don't think the Bengals lined up in a traditional 3-4 very often last year.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 11:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It might not be a bad sign if he comes in knowing he's only starting until Hopkins comes back and then he's backup #1 at C, and he's paid accordingly. He could probably do that for a couple more years. 

That is what I am thinking. Mack is smart #1, even in old age I like him better than what I have seen of Price so far.
Reply/Quote