Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High school locker rooms and transgender
(11-06-2015, 09:14 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Actually very few here has an issue with using *****.  The ones that have the issue with it are just posting like crazy.    

Out of respect for these vocal few.   I changed to transexuals after I was told that was ok....   But then pat and a couple others  had a problem with that as well.   So if I am gonna be called a homophobe either way then what's the difference or the motivation to change to another word?  

What's funny is that pat and matt were the ones who told me to use transexuals.  

Some here keep trying to make a connection to the N word.   Which is a false comparison and used purely to generate false emotion over a word.   Which is actually taking away from black peoples struggle over the years.   Not sure why you are trying to lessen their struggles.

I doubt you were called a homophobe for using the word "*****."  Whose struggle am I trying to lessen? 

So, yeah . . . you lack manners or you refuse to use your manners.  Good talk, good talk.
(11-06-2015, 09:14 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Some here keep trying to make a connection to the N word. Which is a false comparison and used purely to generate false emotion over a word. Which is actually taking away from black peoples struggle over the years. Not sure why you are trying to lessen their struggles.

If you aren't smart enough to realize that I'm only making connections using the link YOU provided, then I don't think I can help you understand much more.

You can only do so much for some. So sad.
Well hell..... now I have to spell transmission out completely when talking about automobiles.
[Image: tb2e8Tkn.jpeg]
I'm not trying to be mean, but, Lucie, but did you actually read your article? I'll sum it up for you:

The trans community uses that word as a term of endearment to take power away from those who use it as a slur, but it should not be used by those who are outside of the community. Within the trans community, there are some who disagree with trans use of it, but some high profile people suggest they are merely a minority. The author states that he has no say in the matter since he is not trans, but he wants both sides to see where the other is coming from. It's possible to be gay/trans and be conservative in this sense. It's also possible that a word can be repurposed to create an identity for a group.

It really wasn't that hard of a read... And, yes, it's a slur. As RuPaul is quoted as saying in the article you posted, he can say they word, the n word, and f** because he has lived that life. He can take power away from the hate and use the words.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-06-2015, 11:15 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm not trying to be mean, but, Lucie, but did you actually read your article? I'll sum it up for you:

The trans community uses that word as a term of endearment to take power away from those who use it as a slur, but it should not be used by those who are outside of the community. Within the trans community, there are some who disagree with trans use of it, but some high profile people suggest they are merely a minority. The author states that he has no say in the matter since he is not trans, but he wants both sides to see where the other is coming from. It's possible to be gay/trans and be conservative in this sense. It's also possible that a word can be repurposed to create an identity for a group.

It really wasn't that hard of a read... And, yes, it's a slur. As RuPaul is quoted as saying in the article you posted, he can say they word, the n word, and f** because he has lived that life. He can take power away from the hate and use the words.

So it is inappropriate to call someone a bigot unless you are one? Cause gotta take power away from the hate and use the words.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-06-2015, 11:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So it is inappropriate to call someone a bigot unless you are one? Cause gotta take power away from the hate and use the words.

Yes, exactly, spreading hate speech is obviously the exact same thing as a term used for calling people out for spreading hate speech.

Bravo. You get a gold star today.
(11-06-2015, 11:15 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm not trying to be mean, but, Lucie, but did you actually read your article? I'll sum it up for you:

The whole "only these people can use this word" thing is bullshit top to bottom. 
If it's offensive, it's offensive. It can't be not offensive just because of who says it. 

It's stupid. 

I don't use those words because to me, the risk of being label a "bigot" or "racist" is worse than my hatred for that stupid logic. 
(11-06-2015, 11:48 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Yes, exactly, spreading hate speech is obviously the exact same thing as a term used for calling people out for spreading hate speech.

Bravo. You get a gold star today.

The mantra of thee liberal: Freedom of speech is fine unless I find it offensive,

Thanks for the star.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-06-2015, 11:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The mantra of thee liberal: Freedom of speech is fine unless I find it offensive,

Thanks for the star.

No, freedom of speech is fine, but when you're on a message board that doesn't tolerate bigotry, don't use words deemed as offensive slurs.

I don't understand why it means so much to some of you to be able to use blatant hate speech on the boards. There are plenty of places on the internet that allow it, go there and have a blast. Any message board is allowed to have their own set of rules. It doesn't violate freedom of speech to abide by their rules. No one is forcing you or any of your alts to post here.

The mantra of a conservative: use zero logic when arguing, only use things like "this is my opinion because I said so" and pretend that hateful slurs only exist because people are "sensitive".

I have zero reason to even WANT to use words that black people, trans, homosexuals, or any other group have deemed offensive to them. Why? Because I'm not a complete a-hole. I'm a fan of having freedom of speech, but I'm at least bright enough to realize that some words are hateful to entire groups of people, so I really have no reason to use such terms. Honestly. why does it mean so much that you should be allowed to use slurs on this board? Such odd thought processes.
(11-06-2015, 11:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So it is inappropriate to call someone a bigot unless you are one? Cause gotta take power away from the hate and use the words.

According to the great philosophizer, bfine, it is inappropriate to call someone a bigot. Instead, he suggests you tell them they are displaying a bigoted nature. 
(11-07-2015, 12:00 AM)djs7685 Wrote: No, freedom of speech is fine, but when you're on a message board that doesn't tolerate bigotry, don't use words deemed as offensive slurs.

I don't understand why it means so much to some of you to be able to use blatant hate speech on the boards. There are plenty of places on the internet that allow it, go there and have a blast. Any message board is allowed to have their own set of rules. It doesn't violate freedom of speech to abide by their rules. No one is forcing you or any of your alts to post here.

The mantra of a conservative: use zero logic when arguing, only use things like "this is my opinion because I said so" and pretend that hateful slurs only exist because people are "sensitive".

I have zero reason to even WANT to use words that black people, trans, homosexuals, or any other group have deemed offensive to them. Why? Because I'm not a complete a-hole. I'm a fan of having freedom of speech, but I'm at least bright enough to realize that some words are hateful to entire groups of people, so I really have no reason to use such terms. Honestly. why does it mean so much that you should be allowed to use slurs on this board? Such odd thought processes.

I do my best to avoid slurs/hate speech, and provide valid reasons/links why I feel the way I do about certain topics,  yet I routinely get called Homophobe, bigot etc just cause I'm not agreeing with certain view points? In fact, it happens enough, that I just outright ignore and/or don't respond to people that only attack. 
Which I do find amusing that one of them is upset with Lucie's use of a particular word that offends them, and yet the tell us to grow thicker skin...... funny how that works.
(11-07-2015, 02:20 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I do my best to avoid slurs/hate speech, and provide valid reasons/links why I feel the way I do about certain topics,  yet I routinely get called Homophobe, bigot etc just cause I'm not agreeing with certain view points? In fact, it happens enough, that I just outright ignore and/or don't respond to people that only attack. 
Which I do find amusing that one of them is upset with Lucie's use of a particular word that offends them, and yet the tell us to grow thicker skin...... funny how that works.

the old do as I say not do as I do ....

There are loads of those types here.

Now For the complainers..... Hey for anyone who thinks I am offensive. Just ignore my posts..... If this bothers you that much then do yourself a favor and erase me. You have proven that if its not transmission talk it will another word. I doubt they will block out the words he, she, him, or her.... You all just need something to complain about. If it's not transmission then it will something else ....
(11-07-2015, 02:14 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: According to the great philosophizer, bfine, it is inappropriate to call someone a bigot. Instead, he suggests you tell them they are displaying a bigoted nature. 

How many times do you think they need to be told what your opinion is..... 1 time should be enough. Not 100.

I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion unless you believe that "bigot" is a slur the same way that "tr***y", the n-word, and "f**" are. 

(11-06-2015, 11:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The mantra of thee liberal: Freedom of speech is fine unless I find it offensive,

Thanks for the star.

Your freedom of speech isn't protected from message board posters and moderators, so I'm not sure why you even mentioned that. All anyone is saying is you shouldn't use slurs. It's just part of being a decent human being. I'm not going to only refer to gay people as "f**s", or black people as the n-word, or trans people as "tr***y", or Asians as "ch***s". If I did, I would not going to act like a child and question why it is so inappropriate for me to use these words. 

And before you go on, I am not referring to you.

(11-06-2015, 11:50 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The whole "only these people can use this word" thing is bullshit top to bottom. 
If it's offensive, it's offensive. It can't be not offensive just because of who says it. 

It's stupid. 

Count me in.
Double standards are horseshit.
(11-06-2015, 11:50 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The whole "only these people can use this word" thing is bullshit top to bottom. 

It's stupid. 

I don't use those words because to me, the risk of being label a "bigot" or "racist" is worse than my hatred for that stupid logic. 

(11-07-2015, 08:24 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Count me in.
Double standards are horseshit.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/speech-and-harm/?_r=0

In case you wanted to read more on the reappropriation of slurs and how that can be one of the most effective tools we have to destroy the power of a slur. 

(11-07-2015, 09:45 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/speech-and-harm/?_r=0

In case you wanted to read more on the reappropriation of slurs and how that can be one of the most effective tools we have to destroy the power of a slur. 
I totally understand that it is more of the intent/context/tone of the situation.
I also understand the idea of removing power from certain words.
I don't even care to use the words in question.
But if I'm told I cannot, yet another group does (regardless of context) it pisses me off. 
Niggardly was a fantastic example in the article of what a milk-toast society we have become. 
They are words and just because some dumbasses bastardized them doesn't mean they should be erased from history to save hurt feelings.

(11-07-2015, 11:43 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: They are words and just because some dumbasses bastardized them doesn't mean they should be erased from history to save hurt feelings.

I don't think I am following you. What bastardized words are you referring to?

(11-07-2015, 11:48 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I don't think I am following you. What bastardized words are you referring to?

The word "********" would be the first to jump to mind.

By bastardize, I mean add negative connotation to.