Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High school locker rooms and transgender
(11-07-2015, 05:05 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: the old do as I say not do as I do ....

There are loads of those types here.

Now For the complainers..... Hey for anyone who thinks I am offensive. Just ignore my posts..... If this bothers you that much then do yourself a favor and erase me. You have proven that if its not transmission talk it will another word. I doubt they will block out the words he, she, him, or her.... You all just need something to complain about. If it's not transmission then it will something else ....

Those are a bunch of words you posted there, that's for sure. It shows a severe lack of intelligence when you write the way you do. Also, it's funny that you broke character when you blatantly insulted me in your neg rep message. Aren't you supposed to be the guy that doesn't personally attack people? Good job breaking character, that's a sign of a bad troll.

Why does it mean so much to you to use words that are obviously hate speech? No one seems to want to answer that question for me.

There is plenty of stupid shit that you're allowed to say on here, slurs aren't appropriate though. If it means THAT much to you to be able to talk like a bigot, go to a different board that allows it. There are many out there.

I've never seen a guy that constantly contradicts his own logic and makes up rules as he goes as much as you. You need to take some of your own advice here and ignore me if I bother you so much. Stop crying, "baby".
(11-07-2015, 11:58 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: The word "********" would be the first to jump to mind.

By bastardize, I mean add negative connotation to.

I just don't get why certain people want to use those words so badly that they'll sit here and complain when anyone asks them to stop.

What does anyone get out of saying these things outside of looking like a loser bigot? Honestly. I don't get it.

No one will answer this and I've asked it a few times now. What's the big deal? If there was a term that became extremely offensive and considered a slur by a bunch of old, disgruntled white guys, I'd stop using it too. Why? Because I'd rather not insult entire groups of people with hate speech and it's not a huge deal to me to stop using any word in the language.

What benefit do I get out of calling a black guy the n word? Absolutely nothing. So why even want to use it? It just doesn't make sense to me. It seems like some people on here really want to use this kind of language so badly, why else fight it so much??? It's a message board with a code of conduct, no one is losing their rights by being barred from using hate speech.

I know you specifically don't use the terms we're talking about here, but this is just a general response to what you're talking about.
(11-07-2015, 12:37 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I just don't get why certain people want to use those words so badly that they'll sit here and complain when anyone asks them to stop.

What does anyone get out of saying these things outside of looking like a loser bigot? Honestly. I don't get it.

No one will answer this and I've asked it a few times now. What's the big deal? If there was a term that became extremely offensive and considered a slur by a bunch of old, disgruntled white guys, I'd stop using it too. Why? Because I'd rather not insult entire groups of people with hate speech and it's not a huge deal to me to stop using any word in the language.

What benefit do I get out of calling a black guy the n word? Absolutely nothing. So why even want to use it? It just doesn't make sense to me. It seems like some people on here really want to use this kind of language so badly, why else fight it so much??? It's a message board with a code of conduct, no one is losing their rights by being barred from using hate speech.

I know you specifically don't use the terms we're talking about here, but this is just a general response to what you're talking about.

Allow me to answer: They enjoy the rise they get out of the crusaders.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-07-2015, 11:58 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: The word "********" would be the first to jump to mind.

By bastardize, I mean add negative connotation to.

But no one is telling anyone to stop using it in the delayed sense. It no longer is used by professional to refer to someone with a cognitive disability, so people are being asked to stop using it in that sense, both as an insult and as a description of someone with an actual cognitive disability. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(11-07-2015, 12:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Allow me to answer: They enjoy the rise they get out of the crusaders.

Oh okay, so they're intentionally trolling then? Good to know. Hopefully they'll be dealt with like trolls get dealt with on here in that case.

I also think it's a bit ridiculous to insinuate that there's something wrong with standing up to hate speech. Kind of silly if you ask me.
(11-07-2015, 12:46 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Oh okay, so they're intentionally trolling then? Good to know. Hopefully they'll be dealt with like trolls get dealt with on here in that case.

I also think it's a bit ridiculous to insinuate that there's something wrong with standing up to hate speech. Kind of silly if you ask me.

Of course they are trolling and doing so successfully.

Who gets to decide what is hate speech?

If I call someone stupid is that hate speech?

(11-07-2015, 12:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who gets to decide what is hate speech?

When we're discussing individual slurs, society tends to. If we're discussing speech used during a hate crime, the law determines that. 

An easy test for an informal setting like this is: Did they either use a slur or speak in a way that degrades a whole class of people? If the answer is "yes", then it's hate speech. 

(11-07-2015, 01:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: When we're discussing individual slurs, society tends to. If we're discussing speech used during a hate crime, the law determines that. 

An easy test for an informal setting like this is: Did they either use a slur or speak in a way that degrades a whole class of people? If the answer is "yes", then it's hate speech. 

Is stupid degrading to those with low IQs?

(11-07-2015, 01:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Is stupid degrading to those with low IQs?

If you're using that word to describe a person, it is an insult, sure, but it doesn't degrade a whole class of people.

If you called someone the r-word then that would be very different. The connotation is that they are akin to this whole class of people and that it is an insult to be like them. 

(11-07-2015, 12:40 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: But no one is telling anyone to stop using it in the delayed sense. It no longer is used by professional to refer to someone with a cognitive disability, so people are being asked to stop using it in that sense, both as an insult and as a description of someone with an actual cognitive disability. 

And I'm totally onboard, in that respect
My step-son is autistic and my wife yells at me for saying something is ********.
My usage suggests that the thought process used was below logical/baseline/standard, but society has become so overly sensitive that they jump to images of children who were unfortunately dumped into a catch-all diagnosis forgot about.
Hey DJS good job spamming me with 24 negative reps.

Glad you are not petty or anything.
The word 'tr***y' has been added to the filter list and will remain there. There is no benefit to this board by allowing it's use, and honestly the word isn't even needed when you can simply type transgender instead.

On another note, giving consecutive, multiple neg rep over and over and over, is considered spamming.
(11-07-2015, 01:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The word 'tr***y' has been added to the filter list and will remain there. There is no benefit to this board by allowing it's use, and honestly the word it isn't even needed when you can simply type transgender instead.

On another note, giving consecutive, multiple neg rep over and over and over, is considered spamming.

Great! Now I will have to type out transmission when talking about the thing that shifts the gears in my car. Thanks a lot.

(11-07-2015, 01:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: When we're discussing individual slurs, society tends to. If we're discussing speech used during a hate crime, the law determines that. 

Or maybe since this is an informal setting. Not letting a word ruin your day.

I guess it's going to be hate speech when someone tosses out anti conservative language. Since that is a group of people .
(11-07-2015, 01:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I guess it's going to be hate speech when someone tosses out anti conservative language.   Since that is a group of people .

It certainly could be. However, as I was saying in the reset thread, there is a difference between insulting a religion/political ideology and discussing why you disagree with it.  

If I said "religious conservatives are acting bigoted when they try to ban gay marriage", that wouldn't be hate speech. If I said "religious conservatives are uncivilized garbage", I would consider that hateful. 

(11-07-2015, 01:55 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It certainly could be. However, as I was saying in the reset thread, there is a difference between insulting a religion/political ideology and discussing why you disagree with it.  

If I said "religious conservatives are acting bigoted when they try to ban gay marriage", that wouldn't be hate speech. If I said "religious conservatives are uncivilized garbage", I would consider that hateful. 

Great I will be sure to point that out when you guys throw that out

You all are going to eventually censor everyone to the point that we can't talk about anything but puppy dogs and rainbows.
(11-07-2015, 02:10 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You all are going to eventually censor everyone to the point that we can't talk about anything but puppy dogs and rainbows.

Yes, telling people that it's wrong to use slurs is going to lead to heavy censorship in our society. 

(11-07-2015, 02:10 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You all are going to eventually censor everyone to the point that we can't talk about anything but puppy dogs and rainbows.

Here's the issue with words we have chosen to filter, which aren't many by way...

Does not having the ability to use the word 'tr***y', or something like the N word, somehow limit your ability to communicate or get your point across? Does not allowing such words make conversation somehow more difficult? Does using words like transgender or African-American limit your thought process? 

Of course not. You can choose to focus on a few words that are not permitted, or instead, just make use with the rest of the English language.  :snark:
(11-07-2015, 12:37 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I just don't get why certain people want to use those words so badly that they'll sit here and complain when anyone asks them to stop.

FWIW... I had a nice post typed out, but my phone decided that I hit a link  (which I did not), erasing the whole thing. 
Needless to say,  the phone took a trip across the room to the opposing wall.

In short,  I agee and I'm not pitching for usage here.
I just had a problem with only certain people being allowed to use a specific word. Rock On
(11-07-2015, 09:45 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/speech-and-harm/?_r=0

In case you wanted to read more on the reappropriation of slurs and how that can be one of the most effective tools we have to destroy the power of a slur. 

I get all that, but it's the saying "one group can, but one can't" thing I hate. 
It essentially just reinforces the word. 

Because you have the one can-one can't thing going, you essentially just lay a trap for people to get called bigoted or racist. 

I had this problem in college. At a house party "Changes" came on and everyone was going on with it. I know every word of it, I said every word of it. A few people were "OMG He said that!" My buddy (then co-chair of the college Democrats) told them grow the **** up and move on, luckily he is also black. 

Innocuous use of the words are deemed bad if you aren't a certain race or lifestyle. That leaves the negative connotation there and glaring. If you truly want to "reappropriate" the words, just open the use of them. So when the actual bigots and racists use them you can laugh at them instead of getting mad.