Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highest Scoring First Pick Mock
Thought I would post my highest scoring First Pick Mock. Let me preface this with my philosophy on this years draft. First of all while this draft my not have some of the absolute superstar talent in some past drafts I do feel that this draft is loaded with high caliber talent that you can build an outstanding core for a team. I feel the strongest rounds of this draft (which have better value talent than in many other drafts) are rounds 3-5. I see talent in these rounds that you use to solidify a foundation of a team for many years.

Round 1 - 21st Selection:

Vita Vea -DT- Washington - 6'4" 347:

I find it unlikely that Vea falls to us but if he does you sprint to the podium with the selection. He is a mountain of a man with outstanding athleticism for his size. While not a great pass rusher he is a guy that collapses a pocket and allows others to clean up. I feel he would be an outstanding player to pair with Atkins and a guy that you could see get more sacks with teams focused on stopping the machine that is Atkins. Very good run stuffer that plays the run in the backfield on many occasions.

Round 2: There was not a player in round 2 that I was in love with but with the players available I felt very confident I could land a second round talent in the third so I used a couple of opportunities to trade down and out of the second to acquire selections in the 3rd, 4th, and 6th rounds.....and it worked out very well.

Round 3 - 4th Selection:

Josh Jackson -CB- Iowa - 6'1" 192:

This kid is just solid. He reminds me a lot of Leon Hall only with better size and he has drawn comparisons to Josh Norman. There have been some questions about his long speed but if there is a weakness here he hides it well with instincts, anticipation, and football IQ. Outstanding ball skills. Many of his best games seemed to be Iowa's bigger games so he appears to be a crunch time performer.

Round 3 - 13th Selection:

Kemoko Turay -OLB- Stanford - 6'5" 253:

Much has been made about the likes of Tremaine Edmunds and Vander Esch and their freakish size and athleticism and I feel Turay fits right there with them. Very good lateral quickness and an outstanding tackler. Shows very good awareness when dropping into coverage and plays well in space. High motor with some ability to rush the passer as well. According to the Stanford staff he is a very coachable young man.

Round 3 - 16th Selection:

Hayden Hurst -TE- South Carolina - 6'4" 250:

This was not a selection I anticipated at all but when he slid to this spot in the draft it was not a selection I could pass on. His age could concern some being a rookie but you know that he has grown into what he is going to be physically so it is all football development from this point on. Hurst has drawn comparisons to Dallas Clark. Outstanding hands. Is able to separate from linebackers and is a threat at all three levels of the field. Not a great inline blocker but has shown the ability and mean streak to certainly improve that segment of his game. Only credited with one dropped ball in 100 attempts.

Round 3 - 17th Selection:

Braden Smith -OG- Auburn - 6'6" 315:

I am sure by this point many have been looking at this draft and screaming about the O line and I understand that. However, this draft is loaded with extremely high O line talent all the way down the line (pun intended). In Smith you get a kid that has drawn comparisons to the one and only Kevin Zeitler. Very strong upper body putting up 35 reps at the combine. Evaluators say he does not have great initial punch but is a mauler and a grind blocker. Shows good instincts for the position and even shows the ability to play outside if needed to. Stands up very well against bullrushers.

Round 3 - 36th Selection:

Jmon Moore -WR- Missouri - 6'3" 207:

Moore is still learning many aspects of the game and needs to improve his pass catching focus but has the size and speed combination to be a very good NFL wide out. As with most young receivers needs to improve his route running but has the things you cannot coach and his weaknesses should all be coachable.

Round 4 - 3rd Selection:

Jamarco Jones -OT- Ohio State - 6'4" 299:

Meet the next RT for the Cincinnati Bengals. While Jones does not have that single talent that stands out he has been very efficient and reliable with his all around game. He has drawn comparisons to Michael Oher while not as dynamic. Jones anchors well and slides very well. Able to stay with targets and is a good second level blocker. Would like to see him add some more mass and has a frame that should carry it without hindering his game. Extremely coachable player that is just solid in his game.

Round 4 - 12th Selection:

Mason Cole -C- Michigan - 6'4" 307:

I can hear it already......waiting until the 4th round for a center? By the 12th selection in the second round Wynn and Price were gone. Yep Ragnow was still out there but I saw higher value that was going to fall to the 3rd. So that is what influenced my decision to trade down. Cole was the first true freshmen to every start a season opener for Michigan. Started 13 games at LT as a sophomore and moved inside to center when Glasgow went to the NFL. Cole has drawn comparisons to Ryan Jensen who has developed into one of the better and most consistent centers in the NFL. Has shown very good anchor and a high motor with great football IQ. Has not missed a single game do to injury....dating all the way back to his high school career. Probably needs to bulk up some at the next level. This is a kid that I would really like to see what Pollack could do with him.

Round 5 - 14th Selection:

Luke Falk -QB- Washington State - 6'4" 225:

Falk has good NFL size and has shown very good ability. Many will fault him for his lack of production last season but I would tell those people to look inside the numbers and watch some film and see that Falk was beat up badly by a poor Washington State offensive line. Extremely accurate passer with a quick release. Goes thru his progressions and reads the field well. Does not have a cannon but has the arm to make every NFL throw. I feel he is a kid that just needs his confidence restored and should benefit greatly from working with a guy like Van Pelt. I do not see him only as a backup but as a kid having the talent to start in the NFL.

Round 5 - 21st Selection:

Michael Dickson -P- Texas - 6'2' 208:

Very strong leg with great touch. Makes a living pinning opponents inside their 20. His leg gives him the ability to change field position drastically. Yes Huber has been an outstanding punter and we just re-signed him, but if Dickson can beat him out then we win all the way around. With the money spent in the offseason if we could get younger and better at a lower price tag then you don't lose in anyway. Yes Huber is a local kid but at the end of the day it is a business.

Round 6 - 4th Selection:

Scott Jaleel -WR- New Mexico State - 6'5" 218:

Great size and ran a very respectable 4.5 40. Showed a large catch radius and really competes for the ball in the air. Does not seem to get off route when he is jammed despite his slight build. Showed a knack for working himself open when the QB is under pressure. Needs to really work on blocking as a WR. Is a strider that does not accelerate quickly. Many evaluators feel he is just beginning to ascend as a WR prospect.

Round 6 - 36th selection:

Siran Neal -SS- Jacksonville State - 6'0" 206:

Despite being a small school DB Neal has drawn comparisons to Eric Rowe. Played CB and S. Does not have top shelf coverage ability but could probably play emergency Nickel duty if needed to. Solid tackler who plays extremely strong in run support. Good lateral ability and range. Will need to continue to improve his technique in coverage but should benefit greatly from NFL coaching.

Round 7 - 31st Selection:

Brandon Facyson -CB- Virginia Tech - 6'1" 203:

I was extremely surprised to see Facyson available at this point and had no hesitation in making the selection. Outstanding size and length. Virginia Techs all time leader in passes defensed. Challenges the catch without playing thru the receiver. Good tackler who is strong in run support. His long speed is average and he needs to learn to anticipate routes better than he has shown. Dealt with some leg injuries. Could as well be a candidate for either safety position.

Round 7 - 34th Selection:

Eddie Pineiro -K- Florida - 6'0" 185:

We must improve in the kicking game. We gave up last season on Elliott and it turned out great for him but not so much for us. Pineiro was the nations most accurate collegiate kicker last season who hit all 5 of his attempts from beyond 50 yards. 75% of his career kickoffs went for touchbacks. Hit 91% of his kicks from within 40 yards over the last 2 seasons. Not great mechanics but that can be improved.

Round 7 - 35th Selection:

Aaron Stinnie -OT- James Madison - 6'5" 309:

Small school prospect that earned a combine invite. Listed as an OT but most likely will move inside to OG. He was a team captain and a three years starter. Has shown good feet and quickness and solid as a run blocker and pass protector. Will have to get stronger to play at the NFL level and show that he can play to the NFL level of competition. However, looks to be a good prospect to develop on the practice squad. Having OT experience is a bonus.

Of course these are just dreams and our opinions on what we would like to do but still fun,
Reply/Quote
I’d be happy with Vea in one.

I’d be very happy with Jackson and Hurst in the 3rd

I’d be happy with Jones and Cole in the 4th and Falk in the 5th.

Also liked Neal and Jaleel in the 6th.

But I’d prefer to have higher rated tackle and center in the 2nd and 3rd than your scenario.

Interesting draft though.  Certainly creative.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote