Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlighting the positives of the last 4 seasons
It easy (and understandable) to focus on the negatives of the last 4 seasons. Marvin Lewis has extended his playoff record to 0-6, which has never been done by an NFL head coach with a single team. The QB play has continued to be abysmal. The rest of the team hasn't been much better. It seems like the best this group can accomplish is a 10-6 record (.500 in the division) with little hope that they'll win a playoff game.

That said, there's been plenty of positives in the regular season that really don't get the attention they deserve, thanks to the epic post season failures. So what were some of your favorite moments?

1. Favorite regular season win?

Possible candidates:
2012 - beat defending champion Giants 31-10. Defense was incredible, Dalton threw 4 TD's
2012 - beat Palmer's Raiders 34-10
2012 - beat Steelers 13-10 on last minute FG, knocking Steelers out of the playoffs on their own field
2013 - beat Packers 34-30. Came back from a 30-14 deficit late in the 3rd quarter
2013 - beat the Patriots 13-6
2013 - beat the Jets 49-9. The most embarrassing beat down a Marvin team has dished out.
2014 - beat the Ravens 23-16 on opening day. Dalton finally played well against the Ravens with 301 yards and a 98.7 rating
2014 - beat the Ravens 27-24 to complete the sweep. Dalton connected with Sanu for 53 yards and ran for the game winning TD.
2014 - beat the Broncos 37-28 on MNF. This game just had too much good stuff to list.

2. Best rookie season?

Possible candidates:
2011 - AJ Green - 1057 yards and 7 TD's
2011 - Andy Dalton - 3398 yards, 20 TD's and 13 INT's, 80.3 passer rating
2012 - Kevin Zeitler
2013 - Tyler Eifert - 445 yards and 2 TD's
2013 - Gio Bernard - 1209 yards from scrimmage and 8 TD's
2014 - Jeremy Hill - 1339 yards from scrimmage and 9 TD's

3. Best offensive season?

Possible candidates:
2013 - AJ Green - 1426 yards and 11 TD's
2013 - Andy Dalton - 4293 yards, 35 total TD's and 20 INT's, 88.8 passer rating
2013 - Gio Bernard - 1209 yards from scrimmage and 8 TD's
2014 - Andrew Whitworth - O sacks

4. Best defensive season?

Possible candidates:
2012 - Geno Atkins - 54 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles
2013 - Vontaze Burfict - 177 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 INT, 8 pass deflections
2014 - Carlos Dunlap - 68 tackles, 8.0 sacks
2014 - Reggie Nelson - 99 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 4 INT's, 12 pass deflections
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Favorite win had to be the Broncos. That gave me more confidence we could go deep into January, even though Peyton wasn't quite Peyton.

Hill had the best rookie season, not starting most of the games and taking over like he did was impressive.

Whit had the best offensive season, and it can't be understated. He was on top of the LT position.

Geno had the best defensive season, such a rarity for a 3T with 12.5 sacks.
Reply/Quote
I'm all for a positive thread....I suppose all things considered it's nice to have the Bengals competing for the division and getting into the playoffs. When you finally get the sweet sense of success it is only human nature to want more. I suppose I fall victim to that.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2015, 01:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Favorite regular season win?

It was tough to choose from your list, so I'm going to choose a game you didn't mention (all the ones you mentioned were amazing games). I really enjoyed the beatdown of the browns when Vontaze had the strip fumble on Obgy for the TD. That was a beautiful beatdown of our rivals.

2. Best rookie season?

This is also a tough one. I want to pick Andy or AJ because no one expected them to do what they did their rookie years. Jeremy Hill probably had the best rookie season given limited playing time early in the season. My personal favorite was Gio's tho. He was our golden child until Jeremy came along.

Andy Dalton. He squashed franchise records and had 4000+ yards and 30+ TDs. Sure he flopped in the playoffs, but it was a damn good season for all involved.

Geno's big year. But Vontaze is a close second with the way he played 2 years ago.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2015, 02:23 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I'm all for a positive thread....I suppose all things considered it's nice to have the Bengals competing for the division and getting into the playoffs.  When you finally get the sweet sense of success it is only human nature to want more. I suppose I fall victim to that.

We all do. So what were your favorite moments and performances of the last 4 years?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Favorite regular season win:
Either the Steelers game in 2012 or the Packers game. Packers game felt a lot more exciting and showed how great that 2013 was and could have been. Steelers game, just knocked that team out of the playoffs and secured a playoff berth.

Best rookie season:
Jeremy Hill, but really Dalton, Green, Gio, and Zeitler all had tremendous rookie seasons. Dalton and Green did well without OTAs and not having a full offseason. Zeitler should have been a Pro Bowler his rookie season. And Gio showed a ton of versatility as a weapon. One that I hope he continues to develop.

Best offensive season:
Statistically I'd say Dalton, but he also had some very down games. AJ Green was more consistent with his big year. As was Whitworth. I'd say it's a toss up between those two.

Best defensive season:
Atkins. Although I believe Nelson had one of the biggest underrated seasons for a defensive player last year.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2015, 04:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We all do. So what were your favorite moments and performances of the last 4 years?

Last year at 3-0 and looking like a Super Bowl contender was pretty nice.  I believed the hype and was all in at that point.
Reply/Quote
Rather than look at individual game wins or losses, I'd like to look at the highlight of the past 4 years in the sense of how the team has built an awesome roster. 

For example, the OL is now considered one of the top two of their position group, in the NFL.  Those young picks have developed into mature veterans, worthy of their rank, as a group.

The DL, which has had some setbacks, is now back in force.  Geno Atkins looks to be 100%, MJ is back, Dunlap has shown that he is star quality.  Peko, well we just hope that Peko can gain some adrenalin from the hype of things, kids love Peko..

The skill position groups of this team I will take with the lines that we have, against any team in the NFL.  Only group that I still have any reservations about.... LB
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
After being a fan since 1979, and witnessing two Super Bowls where we came so close, I was definitely excited with the 2005 team. I still hold them close to my heart, after having been a fan of the 'Bungles'.

It was so fun to watch that team win games when nobody thought they would, compete in the division when I had given up hope.

My favorite game ever, and I hope can be totally erased by a playoff win, is our game in 2005 where we went into Heinz Field and defeated the Stealers for the AFC North crown.

It was the first year in forever that we didn't have a losing season.

Pollock was a driving force in that win.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2015, 08:52 PM)Harmening Wrote: After being a fan since 1979, and witnessing two Super Bowls where we came so close, I was definitely excited with the 2005 team.  I still hold them close to my heart, after having been a fan of the 'Bungles'.  

It was so fun to watch that team win games when nobody thought they would, compete in the division when I had given up hope.  

My favorite game ever, and I hope can be totally erased by a playoff win, is our game in 2005 where we went into Heinz Field and defeated the Stealers for the AFC North crown.  

It was the first year in forever that we didn't have a losing season.

Pollock was a driving force in that win.

Not really relevant to the past 4 years, but still a good Bengals testimonial.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2015, 08:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not really relevant to the past 4 years, but still a good Bengals testimonial.

Yeah, sorry.  I was reminiscing…
Reply/Quote

2012 - beat Palmer's Raiders 34-10

2. Best rookie season?

2011 - AJ Green - 1057 yards and 7 TD's

Possible candidates:

2013 - Vontaze Burfict - 177 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 INT, 8 pass deflections
Reply/Quote
1. Favorite regular season win - 2012 Steelers, I love beating the Steelers anytime soooooooo. 2nd place - The Prime time win over the Broncos. I believe this is the one and only time a ML lead team has actually shown up for a game under the lights - loved it !

2. Best rookie season - Had to go J. Hill, don't think they had a ton of confidence in him and he fought through it.

3. Best Offensive season - A. Dalton

4. Best Defensive season - G. Atkins
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2015, 01:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It easy (and understandable) to focus on the negatives of the last 4 seasons. Marvin Lewis has extended his playoff record to 0-6, which has never been done by an NFL head coach with a single team. The QB play has continued to be abysmal. The rest of the team hasn't been much better. It seems like the best this group can accomplish is a 10-6 record (.500 in the division) with little hope that they'll win a playoff game.

That said, there's been plenty of positives in the regular season that really don't get the attention they deserve, thanks to the epic post season failures. So what were some of your favorite moments?

2013 - beat the Jets 49-9. The most embarrassing beat down a Marvin team has dished out.

Went to this game and had one of the best times I've ever had. It was so fun seeing a total team effort for one of the more dominate performances I have witnessed @ PBS. 

2. Best rookie season?

Possible candidates:

Only because he could of had 1500 yards and 10 or 11 TDs had he got more touches early IMO. AD rookie season is so close because we thought we would stink and he turned out to be better than expected. 

Give AD some love! Had a pretty good season and pretty much looked like a top 10(ish) QB. 

12.5 sacks and 4 FF for a DT? Need I say more? Crazy.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Best game
Packers 2013- Showed toughness and rattled the best QB in the game
Best Rookie
Andy Dalton 2011- to lead a team to the playoffs in the first season as a Qb during a lockout is pretty impressive.
Best offensive Season
AJ Green 2013- 11 touchdowns, 1,426 yards, and 98 receptions
Best defensive season
Geno Atkins I am not sure how many people on this board realize how hard it is to get 12.5 sacks from the defensive tackle position dude was amazing that year. His PFF rating that season is still the highest they have ever given a DT.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2015, 11:27 PM)J24 Wrote: Best game
Packers 2013- Showed toughness and rattled the best QB in the game
Best Rookie
Andy Dalton 2011- to lead a team to the playoffs in the first season as a Qb during a lockout is pretty impressive.
Best offensive Season
AJ Green 2013- 11 touchdowns, 1,426 yards, and 98 interceptions
Best defensive season
Geno Atkins I am not sure how many people on this board realize how hard it is to get 12.5 sacks from the defensive tackle position dude was amazing that year. His PFF rating that season is still the highest they have ever given a DT.

Green is the best defensive player ever. Extend him. Now.
Reply/Quote
2012 - beat defending champion Giants 31-10. Defense was incredible, Dalton threw 4 TD's
This. (showed for the first time what we were truly capable of, dominant in all facets of game.)

This. (Reminded me a lot of my avatar and that's a good thing. "What if" he started the whole year like a lot of us were clamoring for?)

This. (Hopefully Andy can get back to this, minus 5 int's or so, with some new and old weapons returning this year.)

This. (Hopefully the knee has healed and he is back to being GENO again.)

Reply/Quote
Denver prime time win is my choice. It was exciting to watch. Unfortunately, it showed a talent pool that basically went untouched after that game. I dont brlieve we played up to 80% to the abilities we showed we were capable of after that game. Bitter-sweet.

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 04:12 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Green is the best defensive player ever. Extend him. Now.

Lol he is a beast.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2015, 01:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Favorite regular season win?

Possible candidates:

2. Best rookie season?

Possible candidates:
2011 - Andy Dalton - 3398 yards, 20 TD's and 13 Ints

Possible candidates:
2013 - AJ Green - 1426 yards and 11 TD's

Possible candidates:

My choices are above. 

Jets game, we dominated the Jets both offensively and defensively. We made Geno Smith our *****. Marvin Jones and Andy Dalton abused Dee Milliner. I thought that's the team we should be.

Dalton's rookie season was the best for me because he came into a horrible situation, 4-12 the previous season our starting QB wanted nothing to do with us our coach was seemingly broken and yet he still played very well (imo he was snubbed for OROY).

Andy's record breaking year was nice but 20 picks was way too many. I chose AJ because he was very close to getting the record for most consecutive games with a receiving TD.

The other defensive years were good, but Geno straight up abused his competition. He's the heart and soul of this defense, if you want proof look no further than his 2012.

Reply/Quote