Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hill And Gio Run For A Combined 39 Yards Today
Hill ran for 22 yards after 11 attempts and Gio ran for 17 yards and 5 attempts. So let me ask the few guys last week who were defending the offensive line, is it Gio and Hill collectively that need replacing because they don't know how to run? Should we get a new QB because our current one is getting some very hard shots after two games because he isn't moving fast enough? Or maybe...just maybe..is it because this offensive line really needs to get its act together if we want to go far this season?

That Denver front line will decimate our offensive line this coming week and all we need is Dalton to get hurt with the lack of protection from the line. And no we aren't going to beat Denver if that line doesn't allow for a run game or passing plays to develop.

Or maybe it was just because it rained today and that was the reason the front line couldn't get its footing to block...
Reply/Quote
Hard to argue with the plain truth
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Plenty of blame to go around for the run game. Some blame for Zampese, for not committing to the run when it was a monsoon, on Hill for running with the ferocity of a ballerina, Gio actually wasn't too bad but not many opportunities, and mostly on the Oline for getting their manhood trampled by the Steelers front 7.
Reply/Quote
Anyone else feel like a lot of their runs seem to go to the left side? I don't understand why you're running to the weakest side of the line? I didn't actually look up to see which side the runs have gone to but that's what it seemed like the past 2 games.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 08:23 PM)treee Wrote: Plenty of blame to go around for the run game. Some blame for Zampese, for not committing to the run when it was a monsoon, on Hill for running with the ferocity of a ballerina, Gio actually wasn't too bad but not many opportunities, and mostly on the Oline for getting their manhood trampled by the Steelers front 7.

[Image: 55821641.jpg]
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 08:04 PM)GodFather Wrote: Hill ran for 22 yards after 11 attempts and Gio ran for 17 yards and 5 attempts. So let me ask the few guys last week who were defending the offensive line, is it Gio and Hill collectively that need replacing because they don't know how to run? Should we get a new QB because our current one is getting some very hard shots after two games because he isn't moving fast enough? Or maybe...just maybe..is it because this offensive line really needs to get its act together if we want to go far this season?

That Denver front line will decimate our offensive line this coming week and all we need is Dalton to get hurt with the lack of protection from the line. And no we aren't going to beat Denver if that line doesn't allow for a run game or passing plays to develop.

Or maybe it was just because it rained today and that was the reason the front line couldn't get its footing to block...

I have said it before, and I will say it again:  This offensive line is good at pass blocking (zero sacks today) and below average at run blocking.  That being said, the steelers don't abandon the run as quickly as the Bengals.  So, maybe you should ask Marvin while he was making shirts and telling anyone that would listen that this year, they just have to POUND THE ROCK, and you just KEEP POUNDING until it breaks.  

How would I solve the issue?  Thanks for asking   Whatever   !  I would start early with a lot of short passes with a minimum of four receivers in the pattern, usually five.  I would have AJ, Boyd, Lafell, a TE, and a back slide out after a chip on the outside and spread a team out.  Once they start closing to the line of scrimmage, I would take a shot...on something like a 3rd and 2.  Then, after having some success with that, I would run the back out of the SAME formations, but keep the TE in to block and have a WR crash the side of the defensive line while in motion.  Let's see how our run game works with some creativity.

The painful thing is having it first and goal at the 1 and getting a FG, and nearly an INT.  I would practice short yardage situations for half of the entire week of practice.  
Reply/Quote
[Image: uthh3.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I thought 54 pass attempts for Dalton in the pooring down rain made sense. While 33 year old Dill weed ran the ball for the steelers all day
Reply/Quote
Marvins offseason mantra was pound the rock. In a rainy, defensive, afc north battle we ran the ball 16 times with our RBs... .....
Reply/Quote
The whole running game and offensive line looked uninspired today. The Bengals need to look and get hungry for a win. Otherwise, we may be looking at a 6-10 season.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 08:04 PM)GodFather Wrote: Hill ran for 22 yards after 11 attempts and Gio ran for 17 yards and 5 attempts. So let me ask the few guys last week who were defending the offensive line, is it Gio and Hill collectively that need replacing because they don't know how to run? Should we get a new QB because our current one is getting some very hard shots after two games because he isn't moving fast enough? Or maybe...just maybe..is it because this offensive line really needs to get its act together if we want to go far this season?

Von Miller might put Dalton in the hospital. Let's all take a moment to give thanks that he's at least not on 14's blind side. 
Reply/Quote
Personally, I would like to see Gio getting the bulk of the snaps. Not only does he seem like a slightly more decisive runner, he is much better at catching the ball out of the backfield and much more dynamic after he has it in his hands. I would love to be proven wrong, but think that rookie Hill performance was an anomaly... not something that we should think is going to repeat itself.

Every off season we hear that this is going to be a power running team. It's not, and has not been for a couple years. They were better at running behind Andre, especially with help on that side, but he is gone. I almost feel like we have to accept where we are. As for the next couple weeks, Dalton has a real chance of getting crushed... Ware and Miller next week, followed by Suh, Williams, and Wake. They need to get something fixed fast.
Reply/Quote
This is the issue. We can't run and we can't stop the run. We have basically given up back to back 100 yard rushers, and haven't even gotten 50 yards a game rushing ourselves.
Reply/Quote
I was hoping I was wrong when I made that post about the right side of the line losing us games. This will not get better anytime soon. Bodine and Obegui aren't just gonna wake up one day and be good. We can probably makeshift some stuff to make our pass blocking good enough to help Andy but we probably wont have a consistent run game all year
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 12:38 PM)Housh Wrote: I was hoping I was wrong when I made that post about the right side of the line losing us games. This will not get better anytime soon. Bodine and Obegui aren't just gonna wake up one day and be good. We can probably makeshift some stuff to make our pass blocking good enough to help Andy but we probably wont have a consistent run game all year

Cedrick just started his second game, he is basically a rookie. I expect it to take him some time.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 12:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: Cedrick just started his second game, he is basically a rookie. I expect it to take him some time.

Am I mistaken that he was known as a better pass blocker in college?  For some reason I seem to remember that.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 12:40 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Am I mistaken that he was known as a better pass blocker in college?  For some reason I seem to remember that.

I think he was actually a better run blocker they thought they could teach to pass protect.
Reply/Quote