Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hillary Clinton.... not a role model
(08-01-2016, 07:40 PM)McC Wrote: You might be confusing role model with "idol."

You may be right. I may have to adjust my position. After looking at some other information I would say that too many people make idols out of role models. For example: a professional athlete that tops the charts on the field but has a domestic violence charge. Theoretically he could still be a role model for his athletic prowess, but you wouldn't want to idolize him because of his moral failings with regards to domestic violence.

I think the problem is that so many people expect role models to be good idols, but no one is really a good idol. Still, I would probably say that I admire people, but I don't know if I would call any of them a role model.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(08-01-2016, 07:48 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You may be right. I may have to adjust my position. After looking at some other information I would say that too many people make idols out of role models. For example: a professional athlete that tops the charts on the field but has a domestic violence charge. Theoretically he could still be a role model for his athletic prowess, but you wouldn't want to idolize him because of his moral failings with regards to domestic violence.

I think the problem is that so many people expect role models to be good idols, but no one is really a good idol. Still, I would probably say that I admire people, but I don't know if I would call any of them a role model.
What about Jesus ?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(08-01-2016, 09:06 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: What about Jesus ?

What about him? I'm a Christian that appreciates the lessons of Jesus and those that followed him but understands the difference between the historical Jesus the man and the Jesus of the Bible.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(08-01-2016, 09:49 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What about him? I'm a Christian that appreciates the lessons of Jesus and those that followed him but understands the difference between the historical Jesus the man and the Jesus of the Bible.

So, the historical figure was not worthy of being a role model ?

I have honestly not read of the differences.

Any preferred links on the topic ?

(08-01-2016, 09:06 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: What about Jesus ?

What about Superman and Goku. True role models.
(08-01-2016, 11:46 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: What about Superman and Goku. True role models.
Superman stares through my undies and I just can't look up to a guy with a monkey tail.

(08-01-2016, 11:18 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: So, the historical figure was not worthy of being a role model ?

I have honestly not read of the differences.

Any preferred links on the topic ?

I am not going to say he wasn't worthy of being a role model. As I have said, I admire his teachings. But I think it has already been discovered that what I admire about someone would qualify them as a role model for most people. One of my favorite books on the subject is Zealot. That is the most recent that I have read, but there have been others over the years saying similar things. Aslan just does a very good job of making it accessible to a normal person. The book does a good job of providing context. The reason the Hebrew Bible is important to Christians still is because it helps us understand the world in which Jesus lived. This does the same sort of thing.

A lot of people have problems with it because it can challenge their faith, and that makes them fearful. So I don't necessarily recommend it unless you aren't Christian or you can handle a more scholarly bent. Those who believe the gospels to be the gospel truth may be disappointed.

(08-02-2016, 07:47 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I am not going to say he wasn't worthy of being a role model. As I have said, I admire his teachings. But I think it has already been discovered that what I admire about someone would qualify them as a role model for most people. One of my favorite books on the subject is Zealot. That is the most recent that I have read, but there have been others over the years saying similar things. Aslan just does a very good job of making it accessible to a normal person. The book does a good job of providing context. The reason the Hebrew Bible is important to Christians still is because it helps us understand the world in which Jesus lived. This does the same sort of thing.

A lot of people have problems with it because it can challenge their faith, and that makes them fearful. So I don't necessarily recommend it unless you aren't Christian or you can handle a more scholarly bent. Those who believe the gospels to be the gospel truth may be disappointed.

The Gospel of Jesus of Nazareth gives Jesus' teachings a new spin and covers his life from his early years on.  It is supposedly a first hand account given by Jesus to the author.  You don't really have to believe that to get something out of the book.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-02-2016, 11:30 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The Gospel of Jesus of Nazareth gives Jesus' teachings a new spin and covers his life from his early years on.  It is supposedly a first hand account given by Jesus to the author.  You don't really have to believe that to get something out of the book.  

That's one I'm not actually familiar with. Any link to information on it?

Nevermind. Found it.

(08-01-2016, 09:49 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What about him? I'm a Christian that appreciates the lessons of Jesus and those that followed him but understands the difference between the historical Jesus the man and the Jesus of the Bible.

Historical jesus? any actual evidence he ever existed outside of storys written hundreds of years after he supposedly lived.

during a time only the elite few knew how to read or write.?
(08-02-2016, 01:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Historical jesus? any actual evidence he ever existed outside of storys written hundreds of years after he supposedly lived.

during a time only the elite few knew how to read or write.?

Hundreds of years? No, a few decades. And why do you think they were originally written in Greek, which was not the language of the peasant class which Jesus was a part of?

Was there a Jesus of Nazareth? The answer is very likely that there was a man by that name who was one of many people roaming Galilee at the time and preaching to his fellow Jews and was crucified by the Roman state for the crime of sedition.

This is a Christian website so it will be biased.

http://www.bethinking.org/jesus/ancient-evidence-for-jesus-from-non-christian-sources
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(08-02-2016, 07:47 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I am not going to say he wasn't worthy of being a role model. As I have said, I admire his teachings. But I think it has already been discovered that what I admire about someone would qualify them as a role model for most people. One of my favorite books on the subject is Zealot. That is the most recent that I have read, but there have been others over the years saying similar things. Aslan just does a very good job of making it accessible to a normal person. The book does a good job of providing context. The reason the Hebrew Bible is important to Christians still is because it helps us understand the world in which Jesus lived. This does the same sort of thing.

Thanks !
I'll check it out.
I'm Christian based, but very open minded.

On topic.... Does Hilldog believe in either Jesus ?
Ninja

(08-02-2016, 02:34 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Thanks !
I'll check it out.
I'm Christian based, but very open minded.

On topic.... Does Hilldog believe in either Jesus ?
Ninja

All I know is Obama is  Muslim atheist.  Somehow....   Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-02-2016, 02:37 PM)GMDino Wrote: All I know is Obama is  Muslim atheist.  Somehow....   Mellow

Obama is a Christian, Muslim, Athiest, Kenyan, Communist, Liberal, Democrat, Center Left, white, black, Constitutional Scholor, idiot, dumbass.

At least act like you know...man

Do I have to put an emoji?
(08-02-2016, 02:37 PM)GMDino Wrote: All I know is Obama is  Muslim atheist.  Somehow....   Mellow
You know....
I've heard that, somewhere....
Ninja

(08-02-2016, 02:48 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Obama is a Christian, Muslim, Athiest, Kenyan, Communist, Liberal, Democrat, Center Left, white, black, Constitutional Scholor, idiot, dumbass.

At least act like you know...man

Do I have to put an emoji?

Yes.

Excited
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.