Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hindsight Re-Draft For Fun
I do one of these after every single draft just for fun. I really thought this years draft was actually harder to come up with a re-draft that didn't have me taking over half the same players the Bengals did. This is what I could come up with...what would you have done?

#11 - Jonah Williams - I could consider Haskins in this spot but I thought Jonah was an excellent pick and his versatility along the Offensive Line makes me stick with him here. I think the Bengals have not done Dalton any favors this year and now they have a chance to really evaluate him at his current best ability to see if next year they want to draft a QB or give Dalton an extension.

#52 - D.K. Metcalf - This was by far the hardest pick to select. There were 4 players I would have been fine with if they stayed at the original selection of #42 before trading down. Those guys were Greedy Williams, AJ Brown, Drew Lock, and Irv Smith. Since we did make the trade I went with Metcalf. I know he is a boom or bust pick and can understand exactly why he fell in this draft but I will take the talent.

#72 - Will Grier - Another tough choice because I actually really like Pratt. Since we took a QB in the 4th I will go with Grier just because I had him rated a little higher than Finley and their are still some Linebackers that I will take after this choice and have been happy.

#104 - Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - Still not sure why this guy fell so far. I like his ability as an excellent cover guy in the slot. I know he is listed as a Safety but he could be the replacement for Dennard after this year easily.

#125 - Ben Burr-Kirven - I would have taken Cashman over Burr-Kirven but knowing how the board falls now then I take BBK before him so that I will land both in this scenario.

#136 - Blake Cashman - Had shoulder issues but tape wise he was my #2 Linebacker in this draft.

#182 - David Long - Keep throwing darts at the draft board at Linebacker to ensure you are upgrading that position. This would have been 3 of my favorite linebackers in the whole draft back to back to back.

#210 - Kris Boyd - A Cornerback I thought would go in the 3rd or 4th round. Good value at this point.

#211 - Mike Weber - I actually really like the Running backs we picked in Williams and Anderson. However, since I went Linebacker instead of Trayveon then I would take Weber over Anderson here because of how often Anderson has been injured at Oklahoma.

#223 - Isaac Nauta - I know the Bengals are high on Sample but I was not that high on him. I would have loved Irv Smith at #42 but they traded down and he was gone. Nauta in the 7th would be a great pick. Thought he was a 3rd or 4th round talent which would be fine as our 3rd tight end for now.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 12:49 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I do one of these after every single draft just for fun. I really thought this years draft was actually harder to come up with a re-draft that didn't have me taking over half the same players the Bengals did. This is what I could come up with...what would you have done?

#11 - Jonah Williams - I could consider Haskins in this spot but I thought Jonah was an excellent pick and his versatility along the Offensive Line makes me stick with him here. I think the Bengals have not done Dalton any favors this year and now they have a chance to really evaluate him at his current best ability to see if next year they want to draft a QB or give Dalton an extension.

#52 - D.K. Metcalf - This was by far the hardest pick to select. There were 4 players I would have been fine with if they stayed at the original selection of #42 before trading down. Those guys were Greedy Williams, AJ Brown, Drew Lock, and Irv Smith. Since we did make the trade I went with Metcalf. I know he is a boom or bust pick and can understand exactly why he fell in this draft but I will take the talent.

#72 - Will Grier - Another tough choice because I actually really like Pratt. Since we took a QB in the 4th I will go with Grier just because I had him rated a little higher than Finley and their are still some Linebackers that I will take after this choice and have been happy.

#104 - Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - Still not sure why this guy fell so far. I like his ability as an excellent cover guy in the slot. I know he is listed as a Safety but he could be the replacement for Dennard after this year easily.

#125 - Ben Burr-Kirven - I would have taken Cashman over Burr-Kirven but knowing how the board falls now then I take BBK before him so that I will land both in this scenario.

#136 - Blake Cashman - Had shoulder issues but tape wise he was my #2 Linebacker in this draft.

#182 - David Long - Keep throwing darts at the draft board at Linebacker to ensure you are upgrading that position. This would have been 3 of my favorite linebackers in the whole draft back to back to back.

#210 - Kris Boyd - A Cornerback I thought would go in the 3rd or 4th round. Good value at this point.

#211 - Mike Weber - I actually really like the Running backs we picked in Williams and Anderson. However, since I went Linebacker instead of Trayveon then I would take Weber over Anderson here because of how often Anderson has been injured at Oklahoma.

#223 - Isaac Nauta - I know the Bengals are high on Sample but I was not that high on him. I would have loved Irv Smith at #42 but they traded down and he was gone. Nauta in the 7th would be a great pick. Thought he was a 3rd or 4th round talent which would be fine as our 3rd tight end for now.

I wished they snag Burr-Kirven.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 12:49 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I do one of these after every single draft just for fun. I really thought this years draft was actually harder to come up with a re-draft that didn't have me taking over half the same players the Bengals did. This is what I could come up with...what would you have done?

11) Jonah Williams, OT Alabama - He was BPA and I would have taken him over Devin Bush if Bush had been available too.

52) Dre'Mont Jones, DT Ohio St - I think the Bengals needed a better interior pass rusher than the project they got in Wren.

72) Germaine Pratt, LB NC St - I really like Pratt as a prospect, so keep him.

104) Maxx Crosby or Anthony Nelson, DE - I think the Bengals could have used another outside pass rusher.

125) Mack Wilson, Ben Burr-Kiven, or Blake Cashman, LB - I think any of these guys would have been better than Davis.

136) Isaiah Prince, OT Ohio St - I was fine with Michael Jordan here, but I think another OL who actually has OT experience would have been better given all of the IOL the Bengals have on the roster.

182) Trayveon Williams, RB TAMU - Good RB selection.

210) Brett Rypien, QB Boise St - Very accurate, poised QB who is similar to Finley but didn't get drafted. I would have drafted him this late.

211) Caleb Wilson or Isaac Nauta, TE - I liked Wilson as a pass catcher, but I'd take Nauta if looking for more of a well-rounded TE. Either would have been a solid selection this late in the draft.

223) Jordan Brown, CB SD St
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Went through and did one last one with a few changes from the first....

#11 - Jonah Williams (OT) - easy choice to keep him again

#52 - Dre'Mont Jones (DT) - tackle is more important to address early than wide receiver

#72 - Chase Winovich (DE) - big fan of this guys ability and thought he would go a lot higher

#104 - Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (S) - shouldn't have made it past the second IMO

#125 - Jarrett Stidham (QB) - liked this guy a lot more than Finley personally

#136 - Blake Cashman (LB) - one of my favorite linebackers in the draft

#182 - Kelvin Harmon (WR) - after watching more Finley it makes me want Harmon so much more

#210 - Kris Boyd (CB) - by far best CB available late in the draft

#211 - Mike Weber (RB) - like our Rb's we drafted but without Williams I can't go Anderson

#223 - Isaac Nauta (TE) - liked him a lot but he tested poorly so he fell

5 UDFA Targets I Wanted

1. Beau Benschawel (OG)
2. Te'Von Coney (LB)
3. Gerald Willis (DT)
4. Terrill Hanks (LB)
5. David Sills (WR)
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
1st round - Jonah Williams OT, love this pick, wouldn't ever change it.

2nd round - Dremont Jones DT, if they didn't trade back, still think since they did Sample is a great pick. Irv Smith is too small to be a good blocker for us let alone a great blocker like Sample is.

3rd round - Germaine Pratt LB, wouldn't change this pick for anything, best pick of the Draft.

4th round - Zach Gentry TE, better pass catcher than Sample atleast numbers wise.

5th round - David Long Jr. I like Burr Kirven here as well, i think teams will learn they made a grave mistake passing on Long so much though. He is better in coverage than Davis and much more gifted athletically.

6th round - Isiaah Prince OT, liked the Jordan selection but i think we need an OT more than a Guard for depth, Jordan just seems so tall and long for a Guard but he played well there too so i still like the Jordan pick but this is just if we went another direction.

6th round - Trayveon Williams RB, great pick wouldn't change it for anything.

6th round - Brett Rypien QB, i like Ocho's thought here this late, might be as good as Finley, don't know though of course.

6th round - Tevon Coney LB, i know he is an UDFA but i don't think he should of been.

6th round - Mike Weber RB, i agree, like him over Anderson just cause of the injuries, Anderson is a great talent though and understand why they took him if it works out and he can stay healthy, dude could be very good.

7th round - Jordan Brown CB, the more i see with this guy the more i like. Great pick for Simmons with a high ceiling. I might take Benschawel over him but we all know this is Simmons pick, he needs his ST'er with the last pick.
Reply/Quote
RD 1- Jonah Williams
RD 2- Trade for Josh Rosen
RD 3- Germaine Pratt
RD 4- Benny Snell
RD 4- Greg Gaines
RD 4- Michael Jordan
RD 6- Kelvin Harmon
RD 6- Kris Boyd
RD 6- Tommy Sweeney
RD 7- Jalen Jenks
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
#11 - Jonah Williams (OT) - I would have preferred one of the Linebackers, but given the options at 11, Williams is easily the best choice left for our needs.

#52 - Zach Allen (DE/DT) - I'm going to be honest here. Looking at the players selected between our 2nd and 3rd picks, there really isn't a player I see and think "we gotta have this guy." There's a lot of safeties and slot receivers. Maybe you can go with a Parris Campbell or Andy Isabella, but each had their own concerns and our coaches didn't select a single WR this draft, which tells me they're confident they can resign both Green and Boyd. So instead I went with Zach Allen. The only player I actually felt would get a fair amount of playing time in 2019 or 2020. And even then, I'm not sure. Sternberger or Oliver would have been options at TE, but neither of them is any good at blocking...Ugh. The second round was so weak this year.

#72 - Germaine Pratt (LB) - Nothing to change here. Probably the 3rd or 4th best overall LB in the draft (as pathetic as that may be). The main reason I changed our 2nd round pick because I didn't want to draft the exact same 3 players in the first 3 rounds haha.

#104 - Dru Samia (OG) - I personally like him more than Michael Jordan, but it's close.

#125 - Foster Moreau (TE) - A run blocking tight end at the slot where you'd expect a run blocking TE to be selected.

#136 - Blake Cashman (LB) - I think we needed to double up on LB with players that are more likely to make an immediate impact. Deshaun Davis seems like more of a special teams player to me, as he does not have ideal athletic numbers, whereas Cashman projects as a player that play on defense. Getting him here is a great deal.

#182 - Trayveon Williams (RB) - I personally loved both RB picks in this draft. Williams is Gio's back up and Rodney Anderson is Mixon's back up. They both have their specific roles which they fill very well.

#210 - Kris Boyd (CB) - Between him and Jordan Brown, you can go either way and be fine. I'm only changing it for the sake of not going with the same picks as the Bengals on draft day.

#211 - Rodney Anderson (RB) - Like I said with Williams, I love theses RB picks. I agree with this article: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/5/1/18523739/bengals-draft-rodney-anderson-oklahoma-sooners-football-texas-am-aggies11

#223 - Derwin Gray (OT) - Practice Squad fodder that has potential to be a back up in the future.

Honestly, with the exception of the 2nd round (which, even now, knowing what was available then and what was available later, doesn't even seem that bad), I gotta say I'm pretty stoked with how our draft turned out. Almost half of the picks I changed, I did it purely for the sake of not repeating what the Bengals did (and, honestly, I may yet prefer our actual draft to my own hindsight draft).

I'm essentially sacrificing Finley to upgrade Wren to Allen and side-grading Sample to Moreau, Jordan to Samia, Davis to Cashman and Brown to Boyd.

Good job Bengals!
Reply/Quote
The one player I really wanted that I didn't get was David Long, Jr. He went about 5 picks after our selection in Rd 6. Although I think DeShaun Davis may have a huge chip on his shoulder and played at a very high level in the toughest conference, I would have loved to have grabbed Long instead of the RB (which is also a big pick, but I thought he could possibly start soon at MLB. That RB won't be starting any time soon.

I really have no complaints outside of that at all. Love the character and "football first" mentality of every pick. About damn time.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 02:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: 1st round - Jonah Williams OT, love this pick, wouldn't ever change it.

2nd round - Dremont Jones DT, if they didn't trade back, still think since they did Sample is a great pick. Irv Smith is too small to be a good blocker for us let alone a great blocker like Sample is.

3rd round - Germaine Pratt LB, wouldn't change this pick for anything, best pick of the Draft.

4th round - Zach Gentry TE, better pass catcher than Sample atleast numbers wise.

5th round - David Long Jr. I like Burr Kirven here as well, i think teams will learn they made a grave mistake passing on Long so much though. He is better in coverage than Davis and much more gifted athletically.

6th round - Isiaah Prince OT, liked the Jordan selection but i think we need an OT more than a Guard for depth, Jordan just seems so tall and long for a Guard but he played well there too so i still like the Jordan pick but this is just if we went another direction.

6th round - Trayveon Williams RB, great pick wouldn't change it for anything.

6th round - Brett Rypien QB, i like Ocho's thought here this late, might be as good as Finley, don't know though of course.

6th round - Tevon Coney LB, i know he is an UDFA but i don't think he should of been.

6th round - Mike Weber RB, i agree, like him over Anderson just cause of the injuries, Anderson is a great talent though and understand why they took him if it works out and he can stay healthy, dude could be very good.

7th round - Jordan Brown CB, the more i see with this guy the more i like. Great pick for Simmons with a high ceiling. I might take Benschawel over him but we all know this is Simmons pick, he needs his ST'er with the last pick.

nice!
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 08:43 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: #11 - Jonah Williams (OT) - I would have preferred one of the Linebackers, but given the options at 11, Williams is easily the best choice left for our needs.

#52 - Zach Allen (DE/DT) - I'm going to be honest here. Looking at the players selected between our 2nd and 3rd picks, there really isn't a player I see and think "we gotta have this guy." There's a lot of safeties and slot receivers. Maybe you can go with a Parris Campbell or Andy Isabella, but each had their own concerns and our coaches didn't select a single WR this draft, which tells me they're confident they can resign both Green and Boyd. So instead I went with Zach Allen. The only player I actually felt would get a fair amount of playing time in 2019 or 2020. And even then, I'm not sure.  Sternberger or Oliver would have been options at TE, but neither of them is any good at blocking...Ugh. The second round was so weak this year.

#72 - Germaine Pratt (LB) - Nothing to change here. Probably the 3rd or 4th best overall LB in the draft (as pathetic as that may be). The main reason I changed our 2nd round pick because I didn't want to draft the exact same 3 players in the first 3 rounds haha.

#104 - Dru Samia (OG) - I personally like him more than Michael Jordan, but it's close.

#125 - Foster Moreau (TE) - A run blocking tight end at the slot where you'd expect a run blocking TE to be selected.

#136 - Blake Cashman (LB) - I think we needed to double up on LB with players that are more likely to make an immediate impact. Deshaun Davis seems like more of a special teams player to me, as he does not have ideal athletic numbers, whereas Cashman projects as a player that play on defense. Getting him here is a great deal.

#182 - Trayveon Williams (RB) - I personally loved both RB picks in this draft. Williams is Gio's back up and Rodney Anderson is Mixon's back up. They both have their specific roles which they fill very well.

#210 - Kris Boyd (CB) - Between him and Jordan Brown, you can go either way and be fine. I'm only changing it for the sake of not going with the same picks as the Bengals on draft day.

#211 - Rodney Anderson (RB) - Like I said with Williams, I love theses RB picks. I agree with this article: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/5/1/18523739/bengals-draft-rodney-anderson-oklahoma-sooners-football-texas-am-aggies11

#223 - Derwin Gray (OT) - Practice Squad fodder that has potential to be a back up in the future.

Honestly, with the exception of the 2nd round (which, even now, knowing what was available then and what was available later, doesn't even seem that bad), I gotta say I'm pretty stoked with how our draft turned out. Almost half of the picks I changed, I did it purely for the sake of not repeating what the Bengals did (and, honestly, I may yet prefer our actual draft to my own hindsight draft).

I'm essentially sacrificing Finley to upgrade Wren to Allen and side-grading Sample to Moreau, Jordan to Samia, Davis to Cashman and Brown to Boyd.

Good job Bengals!

I like it but Bengals needed a QB.  I wanted Zach Allen.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 06:30 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I wished they snag Burr-Kirven.  

This.

He's the only thing I would have done differently in this draft.   I would have taken BK in the 4th instead of Wren.   Wren was too inconsistent.   BK was consistent.  Good measurable, great production and was characterized as being great at shedding blocks.  And a very smart player.
Reply/Quote