Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historical opening game
For the first time in 55 years the Bengal will open the season against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Strange that we have been in the same division so long (53 years) and never met on opening day.  We have opened against the Browns 8 times.  

The Ravens have only existed for 26 years and we have opened against them 5 times.

The Broncos have never been in our division and we have opened against them 7 times. (We are 1-6)

The Seahawks have been in the NFC for 20 years and we have opened against them 4 times.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 02:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: For the first time in 55 years the Bengal will open the season against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Strange that we have been in the same division so long (53 years) and never met on opening day. We have opened against the Browns 8 times.

The Ravens have only existed for 26 years and we have opened against them 5 times.

The Broncos have never been in our division and we have opened against them 7 times. (We are 1-6)

The Seahawks have never been in our conference and we have opened against them 4 times.

The Seahawks used to be an AFC team, guy
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 02:39 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: The Seahawks used to be an AFC team, guy

I thought the same thing, but I went back and looked at 1976 when they started and they were in the NFC West.

Now I will have to go back and see if they switched twice or what.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 03:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I thought the same thing, but I went back and looked at 1976 when they started and they were in the NFC West.

After playing their first season ('76) in the NFC West they immediately switched to the AFC West and were there from '77-'01.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 03:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I thought the same thing, but I went back and looked at 1976 when they started and they were in the NFC West.

They were briefly in nfc the switched to AFC till early 2000s I believe when they went back to nfc
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Is a bit odd we've never opened vs Steelers. Did we open vs. Oilers ?
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 09:14 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Is a bit odd we've never opened vs Steelers. Did we open vs. Oilers ?

Yes, 1982, 1998, 1999. The last two after the move to Tennessee.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 02:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: For the first time in 55 years the Bengal will open the season against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Strange that we have been in the same division so long (53 years) and never met on opening day. We have opened against the Browns 8 times.

The Seahawks have never been in our conference and we have opened against them 4 times.

Wow. That IS crazy.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 08:07 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: They were briefly in nfc the switched to AFC till early 2000s I believe when they went back to nfc

Yes it took me a while to get used to the Seahawks being a NFC team. Didn’t realize they started in the NFC. I remember being a pup and watching them play primetime divisional games against that AFC west bunch as well as the Bengals bearing them in the 88 playoffs with everyone wearing those big ole shoulder pads.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for bringing Broncos opening weekend up. I’ll never forget that stokley TD smh
Reply/Quote
I don’t think openers should be against divisional teams. Very few teams are at their best, and one team is going to start in the hole more so than losing to another team.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 10:31 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Thanks for bringing Broncos opening weekend up. I’ll never forget that stokley TD smh

Yeah, that sucked. I'll never forget that either. Crazy play

Its hard to believe we haven't opened against the Steelers in 55 years. I'm glad we are this year.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 10:31 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Thanks for bringing Broncos opening weekend up. I’ll never forget that stokley TD smh

If there was ever an opening day loss that said "This is not going to be your season" that was it.  But we ended up in the playoffs anyway.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 09:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If there was ever an opening day loss that said "This is not going to be your season" that was it.  But we ended up in the playoffs anyway.

I actually called us making the playoffs after the end of the 08 season. Then I watched that game and everybody thought both teams sucked and I came away from that game thinking both teams were very underrated. We made the playoffs and they surprised by going 8-8.

Then there was a Ravens opener before that. 2007 maybe. We won a close game and everyone including the national media was high on us. I came away thinking both teams looked like shit but everyone thought Bal was great so if we beat them we must be too. Both teams finished under .500 in 3rd/4th in the division.

This isn’t to say I’m perfect, but I’ve been right at least twice so at minimum I’m a broken clock.

What I’m really saying is it’s best opening weekend to throw out everything we think we know or everything we expect and just watch two blank slate teams. If it looks like good football we are in luck win or lose. If it looks like shit, our team probably is.
Reply/Quote