Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hit to Ja'Marr Chase penalized with 3-game ban
"The NFL has suspended Texans linebacker Denzel Perryman for three games for repeated violation of player safety rules.

Perryman's latest infraction was a helmet-to-helmet hit to Bengals star wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase with 4:07 remaining in Sunday's game, for which he received an unnecessary roughness penalty.

"You lowered your head and delivered a forcible blow to the shoulder and then the head/neck area of the receiver. You had unobstructed path to your opponent and the illegal contact could have been avoided," NFL vice president of football operations Jon Runyan wrote in his letter to Perryman."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38896602/nfl-suspends-texans-denzel-perryman-3-games-illegal-hits

I'm happy to see this. It was so egregious. I tried to google the hit after the game because I thought it should be publicized, but couldn't find it. Chase had given himself up, only to be slammed in the head by Perryman. Chase easily could have received a concussion.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 02:21 PM)Nepa Wrote: "The NFL has suspended Texans linebacker Denzel Perryman for three games for repeated violation of player safety rules.

Perryman's latest infraction was a helmet-to-helmet hit to Bengals star wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase with 4:07 remaining in Sunday's game, for which he received an unnecessary roughness penalty.

"You lowered your head and delivered a forcible blow to the shoulder and then the head/neck area of the receiver. You had unobstructed path to your opponent and the illegal contact could have been avoided," NFL vice president of football operations Jon Runyan wrote in his letter to Perryman."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38896602/nfl-suspends-texans-denzel-perryman-3-games-illegal-hits

I'm happy to see this. It was so egregious. I tried to google the hit after the game because I thought it should be publicized, but couldn't find it. Chase had given himself up, only to be slammed in the head by Perryman. Chase easily could have received a concussion.

The worst part was Chase slid....all he had to do was touch him. Glad the league addressed it.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes, good job suspending Perryman for that hit, it was egregious for sure.
Reply/Quote
I'm actually a bit torn on that. It was a penalty, but that is so hard on defensive players. If you're already trying to go low to avoid hitting a guy high, and then he goes lower after you've already committed to the hit, what are you supposed to do? It's too late to stop.

Penalty, yes. I don't know how you get a 3 game suspension for it, though. Sure seems like they're making it impossible to play defense.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 03:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm actually a bit torn on that. It was a penalty, but that is so hard on defensive players. If you're already trying to go low to avoid hitting a guy high, and then he goes lower after you've already committed to the hit, what are you supposed to do? It's too late to stop.

Penalty, yes. I don't know how you get a 3 game suspension for it, though. Sure seems like they're making it impossible to play defense.

from the article

Quote:Runyan also noted that Perryman has six such violations in his career, including in Week 2 against the Colts, for which he received a fine for violating the same rule.

"When players violate the rules intended to protect player safety on a repeated basis, and particularly when the violations carry with them a significant risk of injury to an opposing player, it is appropriate to impose substantially greater penalties," Runyan wrote in his letter.

granted, Perryman will appeal and the suspension is likely to be dropped to 1 or 2 games

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 03:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm actually a bit torn on that. It was a penalty, but that is so hard on defensive players. If you're already trying to go low to avoid hitting a guy high, and then he goes lower after you've already committed to the hit, what are you supposed to do? It's too late to stop.

Maybe stop sticking his helmet out to spear people. All he has to do is turn his body. But like Ron White said "you can't fix stupid".
Reply/Quote
True story. Denzel Perryman follows me on Instagram.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 02:21 PM)Nepa Wrote: "The NFL has suspended Texans linebacker Denzel Perryman for three games for repeated violation of player safety rules.

It was the definition of targeting. The refs and officials in NY blew it, he should have been tossed.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 03:48 PM)pally Wrote: from the article

granted, Perryman will appeal and the suspension is likely to be dropped to 1 or 2 games

he appealed as expected and the suspension was reduced to 2 games

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 05:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: True story. Denzel Perryman follows me on Instagram.

why would he follow you  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 10:24 PM)pally Wrote: he appealed as expected and the suspension was reduced to 2 games

NFL should have stuck firm with the 3 game. He's gonna Shazier himself or someone else.
Reply/Quote
2 or 3 more max and he will get the Burfict treatment
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 03:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Penalty, yes. I don't know how you get a 3 game suspension for it, though. Sure seems like they're making it impossible to play defense.

Pattern of behavior.

He didn't get suspended for this hit but the pattern of hits he keeps committing.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2023, 03:29 PM)Stewy Wrote: Pattern of behavior.

He didn't get suspended for this hit but the pattern of hits he keeps committing.

He's trying out to be a Stealer.
Reply/Quote