Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hits on Lamar during his carries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB3R7Ae1at8&t=2s

Posted to get some objective feedback if possible.

Couple of questions also... Should PFF or other analytic sites attempt to grade the type of contact a ball carrier takes? Do you think it could be useful for determining how much tread the player has left, especially for RBs? Some players are more likely to end up going out of bounds because of play design and speed while others run between the Tackles more often. For me it seems like in the age of analytics, this type of evaluation could be done. I've never seen it so I decided to put this video together. Would really like to get some honest thoughts from Bengals nation.
Reply/Quote
For sure. There are a few different stats you could keep track of:

- The angle they are hit from, 0° to 180°. 0° could be a tackle from directly behind the runner, 180° from directly in front of the runner (or vise versa).

- How high the tackle begins (Head, chest, stomach, waist, thigh, calves, feet) and also how low the tackler ends up by the end of the tackling motion.

- The combined speed of the hitter and the runner

- The weight difference between the tackler and runner.

One that I think could be really good is whether the runner is aware of the tackler. I bet injuries are way higher when they are not aware.

I think all of those could be relatively easy to keep track of.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the thoughtful response. Two of your suggestions really stick out to me. First being the impact of the hits. I know they have GPS trackers that measure speed. How they'd be able to measure how much force a player takes (ie: clean hit vs glancing blow) I'm not sure but I think it may be worthwhile. Also I love the idea of tracking "blindsided hits" or however you'd term it. I mean that's why they outlawed the crack back block. Unseen hits are dangerous especially for head injuries.

Also I realize freak injuries can happen on any play so it wouldn't be a perfect science. But some data may be useful and semi predictive.
Reply/Quote
Lamar is a fine individual and I wish him the very best, but there just isn't anyway he can continue to play the way he does without a significant injury at some point. I hate to say it, but I see him following the same path as RGIII
Reply/Quote
Thanks Sled, appreciate you. Respect your opinion and the only thing I'd push back on is that his vision and elusiveness is much better than RGIII. He's also much more in control whereas RGIII seemed full speed all the time. He takes more chances than a guy like Russell Wilson but isn't lowering his shoulder into LBs like Cam or Josh Allen. Time will tell
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 09:05 AM)Bmore Birds Wrote: Thanks Sled, appreciate you. Respect your opinion and the only thing I'd push back on is that his vision and elusiveness is much better than RGIII. He's also much more in control whereas RGIII seemed full speed all the time. He takes more chances than a guy like Russell Wilson but isn't lowering his shoulder into LBs like Cam or Josh Allen. Time will tell

He's an elite athlete, that's for sure. I loved watching him in Louisville. He's just electric.
Reply/Quote