Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hitting the Sweet Spot in Cap Allocation: Offense
Good read on PFF about cap allocation.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-hitting-sweet-spot-cap-allocation-offense
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've been hoping they sign a vet WR especially if AJ leaves so good to see they do OK. Kinda surprised free agent guards generally don't do better ?
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 12:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've been hoping they sign a vet WR especially if AJ leaves so good to see they do OK. Kinda surprised free agent guards generally don't do better ?

Right, I'm surprised how poorly the value for tackles are in FA. 
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 12:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've been hoping they sign a vet WR especially if AJ leaves so good to see they do OK. Kinda surprised free agent guards generally don't do better ?

So basically, if you need a lineman in FA, center is the best value. Bla
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 12:51 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Right, I'm surprised how poorly the value for tackles are in FA. 

They say the units that need to operate as a whole need to develop cohesion. That's one of the reasons I thought it was stupid that the Bengals tried 157 different starting lineups on the O line in preseason last year. But what I'm getting at is it's best to draft the O line and develop it. FA D lineman have more of a chance of being successful.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 12:32 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Good read on PFF about cap allocation.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-hitting-sweet-spot-cap-allocation-offense

What PFF is saying is the generally accepted wisdom of "Build thru the draft", at least on offense.  Interestingly they didn't dissect the QB but I have to believe rookie deals will track WAR as the tackle spot.
The Bengals were winning when they drafted well and have sucked since they stopped drafting well. 
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 01:00 PM)jason Wrote: They say the units that need to operate as a whole need to develop cohesion. That's one of the reasons I thought it was stupid that the Bengals tried 157 different starting lineups on the O line in preseason last year. But what I'm getting at is it's best to draft the O line and develop it. FA D lineman have more of a chance of being successful.

Yep, and you have to wonder what the impact of the limited practice time they now have has had on that cohesion ?
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 01:04 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: What PFF is saying is the generally accepted wisdom of "Build thru the draft", at least on offense.  Interestingly they didn't dissect the QB but I have to believe rookie deals will track WAR as the tackle spot.
The Bengals were winning when they drafted well and have sucked since they stopped drafting well.

Yep, myself and many others have said they're still playing catch up from the 2015 FUBAR draft. And they've swung and missed on many since. For a team that relies so heavily on the draft you just can't miss/not get top end results from the top of the draft like they have lately !

They need a couple hits on quality free agents, now.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 01:00 PM)jason Wrote: They say the units that need to operate as a whole need to develop cohesion. That's one of the reasons I thought it was stupid that the Bengals tried 157 different starting lineups on the O line in preseason last year. But what I'm getting at is it's best to draft the O line and develop it. FA D lineman have more of a chance of being successful.

Been saying this for quite a while now.

Sign Defense, draft offense, cause offense needs more time to gel. Especially OL, they need to learn how the guys next to them and the QB/RB play styles so they know where everyone is with out Looking.

If I were GM for Bengals, I'd sign a top CB (trade Dre), LB (maybe 2) and DL (vet to put between Los and Geno). Tag Green and try to sign Cooper.

We have plenty of money, Trade Dalton, Dre, Glenn, Hart if possible, if not cut after draft. If we get Cooper, then Green can be traded as well or signed for cheap since Cooper and him with Boyd would be a strong Trio for Burrow. Then go into the draft with pretty much nothing needed but OL, and draft it hard!
Reply/Quote
These statistics are worth viewing, but I think what it hits on is to retain your good players when they are eligible to hit FA.
It looks like the best value on outside FA for offense is RB (not surprised given RB is the cheapest position cap hit wise typically).

I'm very curious to see defense, as I'm expecting/hoping the best spot for bringing in outside FA will be LB or safety.

EDIT - Nvm, I found the defense and it actually shows LB is generally bad to bring in outside FAs. It does show safety is probably best, but this also follows similar reasoning as RB. It's typically one of the cheapest positions in terms of salary cap.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-hitting-the-sweet-spot-in-cap-allocation-defense
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 02:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: These statistics are worth viewing, but I think what it hits on is to retain your good players when they are eligible to hit FA.
It looks like the best value on outside FA for offense is RB (not surprised given RB is the cheapest position cap hit wise typically).

I'm very curious to see defense, as I'm expecting/hoping the best spot for bringing in outside FA will be LB or safety.

EDIT - Nvm, I found the defense and it actually shows LB is generally bad to bring in outside FAs. It does show safety is probably best, but this also follows similar reasoning as RB. It's typically one of the cheapest positions in terms of salary cap.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-hitting-the-sweet-spot-in-cap-allocation-defense

Do you have PFF Elite? I seen that article but it wanted money. I like my free stuff! lol

But that does make sense. I'm assuming DE and CB were probably highest retained, right?
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 03:19 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Do you have PFF Elite? I seen that article but it wanted money. I like my free stuff! lol

But that does make sense. I'm assuming DE and CB were probably highest retained, right?

I pay for the low-level subscription. $40/year.
And I am able to see the article.

To your question, rookie contracts give a lot of value to the defense, and most of the outside FA signings are deemed worse than going with a rookie or extending your own.

Edge showed very clear that you should draft and retain your own vs going outside FA. However, WAR does go up for every one of them as the cap percentage increases.

CB showed to be a mix, as there were some very bad extensions/signings but also some very good ones like Aqib Talib (Broncos), AJ Bouye (Jags), and Stephon Gilmore (Pats). As such, the WAR for outside FA CBs stayed relatively flat regardless of how much the cap hit was.

LB was the only position group where the higher the cap hit, the WAR actually goes DOWN for outside FAs the higher cap hit they have.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote