Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Hobson’s annual disappointment cap article
Hobson is at it again trying to set expectations low with how the Bengals will spend in FA.

He says after the Bates tag, the Bengals only plan to spend about $20 mill in cap on FAs including internal unless they cut players like Waynes to free up more.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-to-do-list-is-all-in-on-22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 12:38 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Hobson is at it again trying to set expectations low with how the Bengals will spend in FA.

He says the Bengals only plan to spend about $20 mill in cap on FAs including internal unless they cut players like Waynes to free up more.

What. A. Joke.

20m ? same ol same ol.

Maybe they will continue to strike gold. I hope so anyway.
Reply/Quote
I will say that I do expect them to exceed the amount Hobson says, which they’ve done at least the past couple years.

I do think Hobson is smoking something if he thinks Hill, Ogunjobi, Uzomah, and multiple OL upgrades will all fit within $20 mill lol.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I don’t think there is any way in the world he’s right. They may spend 20 million on outside free agents because I know from inside sources that are golden that they are going to bring in some new OL. Definitely not to what some are ridiculously hoping for on here. I’ve constantly maintained they will upgrade with a top center and mid priced guard. I think they resign Reilly to a favorable deal and Spain. I think they get an average priced guard and draft a tackle.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 12:38 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Hobson is at it again trying to set expectations low with how the Bengals will spend in FA.

He says the Bengals only plan to spend about $20 mill in cap on FAs including internal unless they cut players like Waynes to free up more.

Well they spent 13 million today and have also signed a few others, so I guess we are done now???????  Whatever Whatever
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Here we go again the “can’t sign players in 2022 because of what we’re going to do for 2025.”
Reply/Quote
Hopefully this is just what Hobspin expects, and not what actually happens. This sounds a lot like a return to business as usual from before Zac's tenure.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'm familiar with his maddening technique, but somebody is setting that direction for him.

I think for now, we should just remember what we've accomplished in free agency in the last couple of years. Reader, Hill, Ogunjobi, Awuzie, Bell, Hendrickson. Recent draft picks, Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Logan Wilson, Bates, Williams, McPherson, Hubbard.. I'm sure I've left some important people out, but the point is that there certainly is some kind of change is our approach.

We fix that o-line, add a corner, learn how to use Evans, and we've got something serious going on.

I think they'll do it this time.
Reply/Quote
Waynes and Hopkins are as good as gone. It’s going to be way more than that.

Reply/Quote
So half of Bengals nation thinks were interested in JC Jackson presumably on top of at least 2 OL signings and Hopsin is over here saying 20m is all we're gonna spend? No one besides Duke, Mike Brown, Zac and Katie truly know what we're planning...

Cigar
Reply/Quote
For anyone that believes this clown, you're just as stuck in the Marvin era as he is. IMAGINE...

Duke, Zac, Katie, Mike, etc.:
Hey f***face, we got some juicy details for ya regarding free agency.

Hob: Oooooh yeah gimme gimme!!!

Duke, Zac, Katie, Mike, etc.: We're only spending 20M, that's it! And we have our starting OL already, so make sure those fanboys get that in their heads! We don't need upgrades!

Hob: 20M, no upgrades, got it! I won't let you guys down!
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote

Why is he talking about Burrow's contract and the cap only going up $13 million for 2023 not "cutting it".  Burrow is signed through 2024 with a 5th year option that they will likely offer the new contract before that year.  Plus the gambling money that will be coming in to the NFL by that time should "exponentially" increase the cap.  

It's like he doesn't even know about that. 

I like Hobson, but this is just ignorant. 
Reply/Quote
Are we planning on rolling over 20 million dollars? haha.
Reply/Quote
I knew this was coming. I literally was tweeting yesterday morning about how we would be hearing about the Burrow extension looming at any time and of course he never projects us to have anywhere near the amount of money that literally every other reliable source on Cap says we have...Hobson seems like a good dude but I just want to go one damn year without having to hear the same crap over and over right before FA starts.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 01:35 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well they spent 13 million today and have also signed a few others, so I guess we are done now???????  Whatever Whatever

The $20 mill was stated as in addition to the Bates extension, so Bates isn’t included in that.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 09:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Why is he talking about Burrow's contract and the cap only going up $13 million for 2023 not "cutting it".  Burrow is signed through 2024 with a 5th year option that they will likely offer the new contract before that year.  Plus the gambling money that will be coming in to the NFL by that time should "exponentially" increase the cap.  

I think Hobson is assuming/expecting the team to try to get an extension for Burrow before his 5th year, essentially removing that option.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 09:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Why is he talking about Burrow's contract and the cap only going up $13 million for 2023 not "cutting it".  Burrow is signed through 2024 with a 5th year option that they will likely offer the new contract before that year.  Plus the gambling money that will be coming in to the NFL by that time should "exponentially" increase the cap.  

I was thinking the same thing regarding Burrow's contract. These next two years of his rookie deal is the teams chance to go all in on the Super Bowl. I honestly just tune Hobson out. 

If people want to read/watch/listen to a more realistic speculation on what the team might do roster wise the next 2 months, they'd be better off finding someone other than the reporter employed by the Bengals. His job is to "under promise" the fanbase so when the Bengals "over deliver", there is more buzz (or less of a let down). It's also posturing from the team reporter/coaches/owners/etc to help with contract negotiations. 
Reply/Quote
Bengals will be fine. Cap is evident, but don't think it will cripple the Bengals. Every team has the cap. Many teams have huge contracts out there. We don't have to do Ramen noodle shopping if we don't want to.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 10:06 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think Hobson is assuming/expecting the team to try to get an extension for Burrow before his 5th year, essentially removing that option.

What would be the benefit of extending burrow earlier? Won’t bud cap hit go up significantly? He’ll definitely get 40-50M/year. Why not wait until his rookie deal is up to resign him?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 10:47 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: What would be the benefit of extending burrow earlier? Won’t bud cap hit go up significantly? He’ll definitely get 40-50M/year. Why not wait until his rookie deal is up to resign him?

I would assume it would be to show Burrow how much the Bengals value him by paying him early.
Teams have done that before with players.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote