Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Hobson’s annual disappointment cap article
Meanwhile...

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 02:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Meanwhile...

"BUT IF YOU RESTRUCTURE, THAT MEANS MORE DEAD MONEY DOWN THE ROAD! NOW YOU'RE HANDCUFFED INTO KEEPING SOMEONE OR PAYING THEM TO NOT PLAY!" - Mike Brown, probably
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hmmmm

Time to ignore Hobson's FA predictions.

Talk about missing the mark, he missed the entire target.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 09:13 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Hmmmm

Time to ignore Hobson's FA predictions.

Talk about missing the mark, he missed the entire target.

He’s done this the past 3 years now. This is why you don’t read his articles
Reply/Quote
Hobson's annual cap article has comedy value, and especially over the past three years that comedy has risen as he has been completely wrong each year.
Reply/Quote
I think its sweet of Elizabeth and the media team to keep allowing Hobson to write articles. Where else is the guy gonna go?
Let him write his articles for the mothership site that not many visit, and let the real in-the-knows post on social media! Its a win-win for everyone!
Reply/Quote
Uh, Hobson was 100% correct that we would not sign more than one player with a $20+ signing bonus.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Uh, Hobson was 100% correct that we would not sign more than one player with a $20+ signing bonus.

and anticipating a $20.00+ signing bonus in professional sports isn't much of a prediction.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 02:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: "BUT IF YOU RESTRUCTURE, THAT MEANS MORE DEAD MONEY DOWN THE ROAD! NOW YOU'RE HANDCUFFED INTO KEEPING SOMEONE OR PAYING THEM TO NOT PLAY!" - Mike Brown, probably

This is correct.

Teams can juggle the books but they have to pay eventually.  Saints will be pay for this down the road.

If you go "all in" for one year and win a championship it might be worth it.  But I don't think the Saints are that close.  It is not smart to do business like they are right now.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 01:38 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: and anticipating a $20.00+ signing bonus in professional sports isn't much of a prediction.  Hilarious

I don't understand your point.

On the Podcast the guys were talking about signing multiple Top tier free agents that would have signing bonuses of $20 million.  Hobson said it would not happen and he was correct.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 01:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't understand your point.

On the Podcast the guys were talking about signing multiple Top tier free agents that would have signing bonuses of $20 million.  Hobson said it would not happen and he was correct.

I was kidding around because you typed $20+ without the million. Thus, it looked like you were saying a twenty dollar bonus. I knew you meant million though, I was just making a bad joke.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 01:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is correct.

Teams can juggle the books but they have to pay eventually.  Saints will be pay for this down the road.

If you go "all in" for one year and win a championship it might be worth it.  But I don't think the Saints are that close.  It is not smart to do business like they are right now.

Also, don't the players have to agree on the restructure? Like Cincy can't just go to Mixon and be like, "Hey, we're adding 3 years to your contract so the cap hit is less for us this year" or whatever and he has no say, right?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 02:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: "BUT IF YOU RESTRUCTURE, THAT MEANS MORE DEAD MONEY DOWN THE ROAD! NOW YOU'RE HANDCUFFED INTO KEEPING SOMEONE OR PAYING THEM TO NOT PLAY!" - Mike Brown, probably

Honestly...that's true. You push the cap hit down the road.
Reply/Quote

That’s actually accurate. The saints are digging themselves into a hole years into the future so they can keep the same non playoff team they had last year with a new coach. They dug themselves into this hole over the last few years going all in before Brees retired which was reasonable and I’d say smart, but what they are doing now isn’t.

You can restructure to make cap space now but you are literally pushing that money into future years and will end up paying guys millions of dollars that aren’t on your team or haven’t been for years. This isn’t the type of situation the bengals should consider at this time. When Burrow has a year or two before he retires and is eating $100 mil in cap space by himself? Sure, F it and go for one or two last SB’s. Gonna suck after he leaves anyway, but you have to deal with it at some point. This year? Makes no sense to hurt our future teams that will have a cap crunch even without dead money when we can improve our team drastically without restructures. You have to pick your spots and we are not in that spot now.

Saints have $30 mil in dead cap this year and that will increase in future years because of what they are doing. They HAVE to get under the cap, but it really doesn’t make much sense to do it completely this way. They lost their HC, have no decent QB and are still making cap moves like they’re trying to push for one more SB before their elite QB retires. They are going to have to suck for a few years because of this. Makes more sense to cut guys and deal with the dead cap space now than kick it down the road and be mediocre at best this year. Then find yourself in the same or worse position next year.

One other note: the bengals are sort of doing this these last few years, just not with panic restructures. Reiff last year with the void year and it sounds like maybe Collins this offseason with a possible void year. Same thing, just well thought out and planned for ahead of time. They are picking their spots, one here one there and doing it up front and planned out.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 01:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly...that's true. You push the cap hit down the road.

One of the big reasons the "stupid" Bengals front office was able to sign all the guys they did this year is that they were 28th in "dead cap" money.

So if all these other teams are so much smarter than the Bengals why do they have so much more dead cap space that they can not use to sign players this year?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 01:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly...that's true. You push the cap hit down the road.

Yep, you would in this situation.

The reason I posted what I did is because it always feels like the Bengals are worried about what's coming 3+ years from now to the extent they don't really ever try to focus on the now. This was always a big point of frustration especially in the Dalton years because fans wanted them to go that little bit extra when they were close.

I think fans might be more willing to accept "all in" windows than the FO would.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote