Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson Article on Chris Carter
(08-22-2015, 04:33 PM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: There is a good chance that Burfict is on PUP.

Maualuga, Vinnie Rey
Hawk, Dawson
Lamur

It is probably between Nico Johnson & Flowers.

Whichever the 6th LB it is will probably be cut when Burfict comes back after the PUP.  

The Bengals won't keep a tweener.

Agreed that Burfict will most likely PUP, and it is possible (I sure hope it doesn't sound like I'm rooting for this) that there is another injury that pushes another player out of the mix. 

I think because of the title of the article that everyone is labeling Carter a tweener because he isn't good at either LB or DE.  I think if he can prove himself as a capable SAM backup, then he sticks due to the importance of a unique pass rusher.  Every playoff game under Lewis, I would see opposing teams go max protection, our secondary would cover for something ridiculous like 5 seconds, and then the opposing QB would check it down for an easy 8 yard gain.  No pressure at all from the front four against opposing max protection schemes.  Carter might be useful in such situations. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 06:01 PM)Beaker Wrote: Flowers >>>>>> Johnson.

That is all.

Maybe that was a lot of our beliefs coming in to the season, but a healthy Johnson looked like the most active MLB this team has had for some time in preseason game #1.  Knocking down passes, having great drops, making solid reads and tackles?  I was impressed, albeit in the preseason.  I have not seen much at all from Flowers except I keep hearing about his athleticism.  Great.  When will it translate to the field?

And I was not a fan of Nico's at all after last year, but hearing his story and understanding more about his injury and his lack of preparation with the team made me much more forgiving.  And MLB seems to face more durability concerns than our SAM position. 

Either way, I am rooting for Carter if he can shine against some #1s.  I really, really like his hand work and speed off the edge.  Having seen so many patty-cake wars with our front four against maximum protection, I am willing to do about anything to find a unique skill set to get to the QB. 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 04:33 PM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: There is a good chance that Burfict is on PUP.

Maualuga, Vinnie Rey
Hawk, Dawson
Lamur

It is probably between Nico Johnson & Flowers.

Yes

(08-22-2015, 04:33 PM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: Whichever the 6th LB it is will probably be cut when Burfict comes back after the PUP.  
(08-22-2015, 04:33 PM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: The Bengals won't keep a tweener.

Yes

And Yes.
Reply/Quote
I think if Johnson and Flowers keep having a good Preseason it will be hard to keep Vinny Rey.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Chirs Carter stood out again in last nights game.

With the complete lack of pass rush, keeping this guy is looking more and more enticing.

We will probably never use him how he should be and it is saddening cuz he has some good rush potential, I want to see what he can do against starting tackles. 
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 03:17 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Chirs Carter stood out again in last nights game.

With the complete lack of pass rush, keeping this guy is looking more and more enticing.

We will probably never use him how he should be and it is saddening cuz he has some good rush potential, I want to see what he can do against starting tackles. 

He plays LB and DE.
He's valuable there.

He's the only pass rusher who can bend other than Dunlap.
He's valuable there.

He should absolutely make this team.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 03:17 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Chirs Carter stood out again in last nights game.

(08-25-2015, 03:19 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He plays LB and DE.
He's valuable there.

He's the only pass rusher who can bend other than Dunlap.
He's valuable there.

He should absolutely make this team.

Yep!!!  He certainly looks like he has earned a spot on this team.  You constantly see him in there getting pressure, even if he isn't getting the sack.  I really want to see him stick around.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 03:22 PM)PApinhead Wrote: Yep!!!  He certainly looks like he has earned a spot on this team.  You constantly see him in there getting pressure, even if he isn't getting the sack.  I really want to see him stick around.

Yep! I barely watched the backups play and he stood out 2 times in about 4 plays. The guy has a motor on him! I like him a lot... but its easy for him to look good in a game where everything else is so ugly lol
Reply/Quote
Carter has looked good in practice and looked good in game action. The guy has made the team.

I thought he was nothing than camp fodder, but he's really surprised me.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 03:25 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Yep! I barely watched the backups play and he stood out 2 times in about 4 plays. The guy has a motor on him! I like him a lot... but its easy for him to look good in a game where everything else is so ugly lol

Haha!!!  True!!  But at least he has looked good in both games and really seems to be busting his butt!!!

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2015, 01:22 PM)Synric Wrote: I think if Johnson and Flowers keep having a good Preseason it will be hard to keep Vinny Rey.

Vincent Rey led the team in combined tackles last season with 121.   
http://www.nfl.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/statistics?season=2014&team=CIN&seasonType=
If I'm not mistaken, Rey was also rated as the team's most efficient tackler by PFF last season.  I know that stats and PFF rankings aren't everything but c'mon, the guy has made a case for being the second best LB on the team last year.

As far as the OP goes: it'd be pretty disappointing to watch the team find this dude who can pass rush decently, do well with 1st team reps, and then get kicked to the curb.  The pass rush last season simply was not getting it done and held the rest of the defense back.  Why not take a flier on a dude who may be able to help in that department?  I'd say that a guy like Carter would be way more valuable than a big dude who can't pass rush at this point. Plus it opens the door to some exotic formations/blitzes if he can prove his worth in the regular season.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 05:26 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: As far as the OP goes: it'd be pretty disappointing to watch the team find this dude who can pass rush decently, do well with 1st team reps, and then get kicked to the curb.  The pass rush last season simply was not getting it done and held the rest of the defense back.  Why not take a flier on a dude who may be able to help in that department?  I'd say that a guy like Carter would be way more valuable than a big dude who can't pass rush at this point.  Plus it opens the door to some exotic formations/blitzes if he can prove his worth in the regular season.

But this is the Bengals we're talking about.  I wouldn't put it past them to let him go.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 07:17 PM)PApinhead Wrote: But this is the Bengals we're talking about.  I wouldn't put it past them to let him go.

Right, because we have released so many guys over the last few years that went on to be good players like,.  .  . er,.  .  .  um,.  .  .  you know, like all those guys.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 07:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right, because we have released so many guys over the last few years that went on to be good players like,.  .  . er,.  .  .  um,.  .  .  you know, like all those guys.

Whatever Fred.  I'm not just referring to that.  I'm talking about the overall decisions and how they do things.  Until they can figure out how to win a playoff game or two, I will continue to do so, no matter how much you try to belittle me or my opinions. 

But go ahead, carry on.... ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
Carter makes this team.
Reply/Quote
I like Carter for no other reason than he's a change of pace. Our other pass rushers rely pretty much on brute strength. Carter is speed and smaller and showed he can handle a TE in pass rushing duties. I'd put him in a lot on Sat. against #1 & #2 OTs and see what he can do.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Experience wise, Carter is not much different than the Bengals backups from last season.  Why not shuffle the deck?

I thought I saw him in on a pass play, as well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He and Hunt were two visibly superior players against Tampa...out of about 60.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:39 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I like Carter for no other reason than he's a change of pace. Our other pass rushers rely pretty much on brute strength. Carter is speed and smaller and showed he can handle a TE in pass rushing duties. I'd put him in a lot on Sat. against #1 & #2 OTs and see what he can do.

i liked what i saw even the plays he didnt get there he at least looked fast.

Im not sure who doesnt make the roster... to keep carter. As would he be a LB or a DE.

If hes a DE then do we just got 3 DTs with guys like gilberry &Hardison able to slide inside (this assuming hardison is lsited as a DE) but then theres that williams kid
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:23 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Carter makes this team.

Marvin has been looking for this very kind of guy since he got here.  Seems like he may have finally found one.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote