Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hobson Gets Red Pilled
(05-03-2018, 04:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: Just goes to show that maybe some of us "dumb fans" weren't just talking message board myths when we said Piano Man should have been gone years ago. :andy:

Ain't no mystery !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I seriously can't stand Hobson ,he just praises everything they do and he look like he belongs on bbc television not talking bengals.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 10:39 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I seriously can't stand Hobson ,he just praises everything they do and he look like he belongs on bbc television not talking bengals.

True, he loved the Piano Man while he was here. Always covering for his sorry behind.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I agree with Hobson that a new OL coach and scheme could bring more out of players already here. The good news is Price and Glenn. Im most excited about the OL battle in training camp and preseason. It will be fun to watch who emerges as the starting line. RT and G could be a battle royal. I hope Pollack fires these guys up. This is the AFCN. We need to be maulers up front.
Reply/Quote
The team I dislike most is the Cowboys. I hope he sinks that oline and they become terrible.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 12:28 AM)jorev5 Wrote: The team I dislike most is the Cowboys. I hope he sinks that oline and they become terrible.

This is unacceptable!!!

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 04:32 PM)Shady Wrote: Amen. This Oline has sunk many a good RB. 

This is a good point, and I will add that Lapham was taking him fair number of shots at the offensive line schematic for over a year.  

I think the RBs had decent production given the issues at offensive line and the predictable nature of their rushing attack.  Now, I bet they are drooling at the prospect of drive blocking and having the opportunity to hit some holes.  They (Mixon and Gio) had 100 yard rushing games the final weeks of the season last year.  And that was an in-season adjustment.  
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 04:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I was thinking the same exact thing this morning while reading CO thread, almost the same words came out of my mouth, we dumb fans don't know anything.... Maybe we don't know the exact X's and O's or what is going on inside the building, but damn, all you had to do was see what was happening on the field.

Hobson must think all the games are blacked out and the only info we get on the team is from him.

Reply/Quote
Mike Brown isnt going to let his staff writer trash a coach while they're currently employed by the team, no matter how incompetent they are. Everyone knew Paul Alexander was doing a trash job, Ogbeuhi and Fisher his picks, and his unwaivering faith in Bodine were ultimately his undoing.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I give Hobson a bit of a break. After all the NFL and the Bengals are in no way bastions of journalistic excellism nor known for their unbiased views . The guy was hired by the team to put the best possible light on even the worst season ever. He was never hired to critique the team and the decisions made by the team. He's a PR guy, period and he knows that. He's not a local guy with deep roots in the Cincinnati area, he's a transplant from New England and not a journalist of any real standing that I can see. 
Can you even imagine him writing a hit piece on the Brown family ? That's never going to happen as long as he wants to remain employed by the team and would probably never get hired by any other sports team if he did. He's no doubt a company man and every company needs a few of them anyway. 
Put yourself in his shoes. 
Yeah, you see all the flaws with the organization, the win/loss record has been pointing down for a few years and they haven't won in the post season forever. Do you point out all of those flaws and get all the fans to turn on your boss and his family or do you keep your job and only write those things that make your employer look good?  He's not superman standing for truth, justice and the American way.  
So to that end Hobson puts on his pants in the morning (I think) and writes things to attempt to put the best possible spin on a bad situation. Anything less and he's just another unemployable sports writer. 
Imagine Hobson writing for the QB merry-go-round in Cleveland . He would have had to try to make the J. Football pick as the best pick ever and he probably would have. If you're looking for a guy willing to take a bullet for the fans Hobson is not the guy you want in front of you when you hear BANG.. He has the title of Editor of Bengals.com, but even his editing skills leave something to be desired...too many spelling and punctuation errors.  
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 12:28 AM)jorev5 Wrote: The team I dislike most is the Cowboys.  I hope he sinks that oline and they become terrible.

You dislike the Cowboys more than the Steelers? That's actually surprising.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I dislike both the squeelers and the cowcrappers..for different reasons . The squeelers because of who they are and the cowcrappers for having booted people out of their homes for parking space that was and is still a very long walk to get to the stadium. They booted the people out with almost no advanced notice and no place for them to go after getting booted out. One day there were several apartment buildings , the next just empty space paved over . That was unforgivable in my book. Entire families made homeless overnight for parking space.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 07:22 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Mike Brown isnt going to let his staff writer trash a coach while they're currently employed by the team, no matter how incompetent they are. Everyone knew Paul Alexander was doing a trash job, Ogbeuhi and Fisher his picks, and his unwaivering faith in Bodine were ultimately his undoing.

This sums things up very nicely.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 09:34 AM)grampahol Wrote: I give Hobson a bit of a break. After all the NFL and the Bengals are in no way bastions of journalistic excellism nor known for their unbiased views . The guy was hired by the team to put the best possible light on even the worst season ever. He was never hired to critique the team and the decisions made by the team. He's a PR guy, period and he knows that. He's not a local guy with deep roots in the Cincinnati area, he's a transplant from New England and not a journalist of any real standing that I can see. 
Can you even imagine him writing a hit piece on the Brown family ? That's never going to happen as long as he wants to remain employed by the team and would probably never get hired by any other sports team if he did. He's no doubt a company man and every company needs a few of them anyway. 
Yeah, you see all the flaws with the organization, the win/loss record has been pointing down for a few years and they haven't won in the post season forever. Do you point out all of those flaws and get all the fans to turn on your boss and his family or do you keep your job and only write those things that make your employer look good?  He's not superman standing for truth, justice and the American way.  
So to that end Hobson puts on his pants in the morning (I think) and writes things to attempt to put the best possible spin on a bad situation. Anything less and he's just another unemployable sports writer. 
Imagine Hobson writing for the QB merry-go-round in Cleveland . He would have had to try to make the J. Football pick as the best pick ever and he probably would have. If you're looking for a guy willing to take a bullet for the fans Hobson is not the guy you want in front of you when you hear BANG.. He has the title of Editor of Bengals.com, but even his editing skills leave something to be desired...too many spelling and punctuation errors.  
Hobspin cannot bite the hand that feeds him

But thank goodness Mike Brown finally came to his senses on Alexander.

the natural bias of bengals.com is why an independent board like this one was needed.

Again and again, thanks to the founders and administrators of The Bengals Board.

This board and all of the posters are the best thing about being a Bengals fan!!!
Reply/Quote
What does getting red pilled mean?
Reply/Quote
Hobson is what he is: a paid shill by the Bengals. He now acts like he was calling out Alexander and other coaches during last year's terrible start...I can't recall a single article where he's ever come close to questioning a Bengals' coach or player. They could lose 70-0 to Cleveland and he'd write an article about the 2nd team defense getting great reps and holding Cleveland under 80.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 09:34 AM)grampahol Wrote: I give Hobson a bit of a break. After all the NFL and the Bengals are in no way bastions of journalistic excellism nor known for their unbiased views . The guy was hired by the team to put the best possible light on even the worst season ever. He was never hired to critique the team and the decisions made by the team. He's a PR guy, period and he knows that. He's not a local guy with deep roots in the Cincinnati area, he's a transplant from New England and not a journalist of any real standing that I can see. 

I think this is a good post.   I will say that I believe he believes in the team and buys into what they are trying to do for the most part.  And there is some appropriate loyalty, but there are clearly parameters he is not able to go beyond.   I cannot recall any articles that voiced disapproval about Bodine or Alexander.  And Lap, who has a little more leeway, has clearly been dressed down for his clear take on the failures of Alexander and the performance of the offensive line.

I respect the Brown family as people and truly believe that winning his their # 1 goal.   But I disagree with many of their decisions (Mr. Brown's) and remember when the team put a gag order in the contracts of players that resulted in the termination of a punter's contract years ago.

So I agree with you that there is clearly a cap on what Hobson - and all the Bengals paid employees - can discuss in private.   I think Hobson voices his opinion even when it is mildly critical of the way the team is playing.   But he is clearly hamstrung.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 11:22 AM)Beaker Wrote: What does getting red pilled mean?
Eating candy from a Vladimir Putin pez dispenser? WTF knows. Lol..

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 10:06 AM)ochocincos Wrote: You dislike the Cowboys more than the Steelers? That's actually surprising.

Actually pretty neck and neck. I hate having the boys shoved down my throat everytime I watch the NFLN or any sports show involving the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 04:50 PM)cooper Wrote: should have kept jeremy hill.. he was a good banger when the offensive line was ok 3 years ago

If Mixon stays healthy I dont think anyone is going to miss Hill this year. 
Reply/Quote