Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Hobson back with his first propaganda piece
That's gotta be the most cushy job ever. It's easy to put a positive spin on anything if you want to. Give me a Bengals-related topic and I guarantee I can put a "Hobs" spin on it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 02:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's gotta be the most cushy job ever. It's easy to put a positive spin on anything if you want to. Give me a Bengals-related topic and I guarantee I can put a "Hobs" spin on it.

Ok, The Bengals havent won a playoff game since 1991. Spin that!!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 02:53 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Ok, The Bengals havent won a playoff game since 1991. Spin that!!!!

While the Bengals are working hard to get that monkey off their backs, I'm sure many teams would love to say they've made the playoffs 6 times in 9 years, including a franchise record 5 in a row. Bam. Done. Next?  Smirk
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 10:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I know that Hobson works for the Bengals and tries to put a positive spin on everything, but in this case I lterally think he is messing with the guy who asked this question

How is Marvin going to fix the horrible clock management? Tony Cox, Hooven, OH

TONY: The same way you fix your offense or your defense or both. Run the ball. That's always the answer when you're struggling in this league. When you know you can make 4.2 yards per carry and can hand it off on third-and-three, that makes everything easier. For your QB and your offensive line and for your thankful defense that can watch from the sidelines and limit their vulnerabilities. And it helps your coach. It helps you drain the clock and that's an easier clock to manage.

Could Hobson really be this clueless?  Even I admit that Marvin has problems with managing the clock at the end of halves.

Yes, this stood out to me as well. Really? Just run the clock out, that is the way to manage it lol

The biggest problem around here has been the lack of aggressiveness going into the half and the lack of aggressiveness in the
2nd half for heck sake! Saying just run the ball without the O-line to do so is just crazy talk and would be just what we have
seen for years, too conservative and just leads to more losses.

Sure we need to get much better at running the ball in the 2nd half so we can close out games when we have to but playing
unpredictable goes hand in hand with this. In order to be unpredictable we need to use both of our excellent pass catching RB's
in the passing game and get a FA or two more on the O-line to make this happen.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 03:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  would be just what we have seen for years, too conservative and just leads to more losses.

Marvin has never lost a game due to playing to conservative with a lead in the second half.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 04:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin has never lost a game due to playing to conservative with a lead in the second half.

Didn't we lose like 3 games just this past season where we had a lead going into the half only to see Merv go conservative int he 2nd leading to a loss? 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 04:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin has never lost a game due to playing to conservative with a lead in the second half.

Complete Bullshit Fred.

(01-17-2018, 05:39 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Didn't we lose like 3 games just this past season where we had a lead going into the half only to see Merv go conservative int he 2nd leading to a loss? 

Yes, the second Steelers game was particularly terrible when we were up 17-0 on them and ended up losing cause of it...
Reply/Quote

You're absolutely right, Marvin never lost a game due to playing conservative.  However, his coaching decisions have caused the team to lose their fair share for not being aggressive in the second half of games. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 06:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're absolutely right, Marvin never lost a game due to playing conservative.  However, his coaching decisions have caused the team to lose their fair share for not being aggressive in the second half of games. 

Before the last couple of games we were averaging under 3 points per game in the 2nd half last season...

And it goes back years on how bad of a 2nd half team we are under Marvin Lewis.

It is the worst in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Well for 1 , there was that one tackle from bama that dropped because people said he wasn't worth it. In hindsight we should of took that guy.there was als o another guy I think lamp.

2nd of all, Hobson is a insider so I do believe he's telling the truth,but our coaching and management can be fickled and not know what they want it can change by the time comes. I'm sure Marvin has no idea who they are picking .

With that said I found it interesting they said they will not throw money at eifert ,and they mentioned the need for safety which is rare I can't remember if the last time they took a safety even in round 2. I think they want to go best available besides qb in round one. And it has a good shot at being defense since we got a new d coordinator.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 06:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're absolutely right, Marvin never lost a game due to playing conservative.  However, his coaching decisions have caused the team to lose their fair share for not being aggressive in the second half of games. 

(01-17-2018, 06:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Before the last couple of games we were averaging under 3 points per game in the 2nd half last season...

And it goes back years on how bad of a 2nd half team we are under Marvin Lewis.

It is the worst in the NFL.

So let me see your examples.

I am not talking about playing poorly in the second half.  I am talking about being too conservative with a lead.

I'll wait.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 07:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So let me see your examples.

I am not talking about playing poorly in the second half.  I am talking about being too conservative with a lead.

I'll wait.

That'll go nowhere.  Too much subjectivity into what constitutes or discerns between what is conservative and what is plain poor execution.  Potentially, we could both list many examples of each, both be correct, and still not convince the other of our respective point.

I'll pass.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 05:39 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Didn't we lose like 3 games just this past season where we had a lead going into the half only to see Merv go conservative int he 2nd leading to a loss? 

No.  We lost some games in the second half because we played poorly, but not because we were too conservative

(01-17-2018, 06:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, the second Steelers game was particularly terrible when we were up 17-0 on them and ended up losing cause of it...

You mean the game we only ran the ball SIX times the entire second half while calling 18 pass plays.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 07:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That'll go nowhere.  Too much subjectivity into what constitutes or discerns between what is conservative and what is plain poor execution.  Potentially, we could both list many examples of each, both be correct, and still not convince the other of our respective point.

I'll pass.

I ask this question a lot.  Funny how no one will even TRY to give an example.  Since so many people mclaim it happens all the time you'd think someone could come up with at least ONE clear example.

The truth is this is just another message board myth with no facts to back it up.
Reply/Quote

Exactly. What motivational song is he playing in the locker room at halftime anyway, “Endless Love?”

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 07:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Exactly. What motivational song is he playing in the locker room at halftime anyway, “Endless Love?”

Whatever it is, it ain't workin'.  Maybe they should try playing Flying High Now, the theme from Rocky?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Y'all know that Geoff is an employee of the Bengals and writes for Bengals.com, right? I mean...it's going to come off a certain way because of those facts. That said, he is the most objective team writer in the entire league. Take that for what you will.

Shameless plug: for all your unfiltered Bengals news / analysis, follow Paul, Doc and I over at Cincinnati.com

Now, to the larger points in the posts: It's true that heading into year 16 of Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown, it's worth waiting to see what happens in March with free agency to see if it's "different." I believe it may "look" different because this current class of Bengals free agents aren't really a group they want to retain, or need to spend $50 million on to do so. So, theoretically, they could spend "more" outside the organization. That said, if Geno Atkins pulls a $100 million extension...that might change that up as well.

Re: The No. 12 pick. I had heard the desire for a safety from the previous defensive regime, but I'd be curious to see how real that is considering they tied up nearly $60 million in their two starters through 2020. Not saying they don't need the depth - they do - but a safety at No. 12? That would be interesting. We'd have to wait then til camp and the preseason to see if that means there is a departure from Lewis and Teryl Austin/Bill Lazor from playing highly paid veterans/starters for the "best player available" or if it would just be a take a safety at 12 and he sits for 2-3 years for his turn.

Unanswerable questions until the time comes, but such a pick (or similar picks) would be interesting in that regard.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Hobson is objective?
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 07:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So let me see your examples.

I'll wait.

Just stating a generic statistic doesn't mean you have backed up your argument; something you don't seem to understand toast. How many of those passes were over 10 yards; if you gave us SPECIFIC STATISTICAL INFORMATION  then I might believe your argument a lot more.  

The problem with you toast is you like to spew out generic stats and not back them up with specific details . The stats you squelch out of your hole should be backed up with very specific details to make your argument convincing. I'm waiting for an answer telling us how many of those passes were over 10 yards.

Throwing 18 passes where most of them are two yard dump offs to the running backs does not constitute an aggressive approach.
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
Nothing new in this article. As much as I'd like them to get a couple of good B or so grade FAs (a linebacker and center, preferably), it's never seemed likely to me that they shell out big for outside talent.

I predict a veteran linebacker signing, as they're not quite as pricey as good o-linemen these days, and starting caliber players at that position are in short supply after the not-so-dependable Burfict. Nickerson and Evans are backfill and Vigil was pretty bad last year. They have to do better than that.

If they drafted Derwin James, signed a starting LB, and drafted 2 or 3 linemen, then I could feel halfway decent about this roster come camp.

I think the biggest wildcard is how they feel about Westerman, Redmond, and Hopkins. Will they go into 2018 with one of them starting at RG? I think there's a good chance the starter at that spot is on the roster now. Will they try an in-house guy like TJ Johnson or Westerman at center if Bodine (please) is let go? Very possible, IMO.
Reply/Quote