Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson on Mike's reluctance to change
(10-26-2017, 11:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: In another Hobson article, from 2016, Mike talks about why he sticks with Marvin:

Lewis may have been fired from many NFL teams given the messy ending and a 0-7 post-season record. But Brown is famous for being the most patient owner in any pro sport. Yet on Tuesday he offered an excellent defense of his guy. A fundamental, pragmatic view of another century.

“If coaches were hired and fired on that account, the NFL would have a turnover rate about three times what is has now,” Brown said. “Yes, we want to win a playoff game, we want to win the Super Bowl. So do a lot of other teams, most of which have not gotten as far as we've gotten.

“It was a process for the two of us. It was his first time as a head coach and probably he was a little leery of different moments when it was not easy. And we worked through all of those and we became very comfortable. I'm quite respectful of Marvin. I think he's a good person. He's done a good job for us. I appreciate his loyalty. I feel lucky to have him, and I think the city should feel that way too.”

This is why I think Marvin gets re-signed, yet again - assuming he wants to come back. Mike is very comfortable with Marvin, and Marvin has been loyal to the Brown family. If Mike didn't think 7 playoff losses was a reason to fire him, I doubt the last couple of seasons will be much of a determining factor. 

Where in Mike's mind has he gotten ?

At the end of 2016 the MB lead Bengals had a record of 173 - 240 -3

At the end of 2016 the MB lead Bengals had a playoff record of 0 - 7

14 teams have won the Super Bowl since Mike took over. 23 different teams have been in the Super Bowl.

Every team in the NFL has won at least one playoff game since MB has been our GM. This season will mark 27 years without a playoff win.

How in the name of @#$%$@ @%#%^ has he become comfortable ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 06:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Where in Mike's mind has he gotten ?

At the end of 2016 the MB lead Bengals had a record of 173 - 240 -3

At the end of 2016 the MB lead Bengals had a playoff record of 0 - 7

14 teams have won the Super Bowl since Mike took over. 23 different teams have been in the Super Bowl.

Every team in the NFL has won at least one playoff game since MB has been our GM. This season will mark 27 years without a playoff win.

How in the name of @#$%$@ @%#%^ has he become comfortable ?

People move the target after they shoot the arrow. Making the playoffs 5 times in now 6 years to him is some sort of validation that what he's doing works.

Honestly...I'd say there is a 40% chance that we don't make the playoffs and Marvin is back.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 06:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People move the target after they shoot the arrow. Making the playoffs 5 times in now 6 years to him is some sort of validation that what he's doing works.

Honestly...I'd say there is a 40% chance that we don't make the playoffs and Marvin is back.

I'd say there's like an 80% chance we don't make the playoffs this season. I'm not sure what % to assign to Marvin coming back ?

I mean probably 5 or 6 times in the last 10 years I've thought there's now way MB is bringing Marvin back but he's still here of course. And I say/think the same thing every time - how the hell can he bring him back AGAIN ?

As sad as it is I'd probably go higher on Marvin coming back as well, 50-60% range. Or in other words it wouldn't shock me a lot !

This I can tell you for sure though. If we roll on with the same staff and little to no change next season I'll be doing other things on Sundays besides watching the Cincinnati Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 07:00 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I mean probably 5 or 6 times in the last 10 years I've thought there's now way MB is bringing Marvin back but he's still here of course. And I say/think the same thing every time - how the hell can he bring him back AGAIN ?

This is why I'm fully expecting Marv back in 2018. That and the fact that Hobspin is already in Marv defense mode.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote