Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andrew Whitworth - Ready to Move On?
I was listening to the PFF Pro Podcast (Link: https://www.profootballfocus.com/pff-podcast/) this morning, and they began discussing Andrew Whitworth for a few minutes(right around the 7 minute mark for those interested in listening). This particular podcast was actually published before the franchise tag deadline (I'm a little behind) but they mentioned on their they thought Whitworth was a candidate for the franchise tag. Obviously the time for this has passed, and the Bengals did not tag him.

What I found most interesting was their reasoning. They said that Cincy simply couldn't let him slip away and they didn't think we would be able to get him to agree to contract to stay. They said Cincy treated him so badly when they decided to move on from him with the draft picks that he is ready to leave.

Quite frankly, this is the first time I've heard of Whitworth being treated badly by the organization, in addition to hearing that he wants to leave. Everything else I've heard indicates he wants to stay if possible. Anybody else heard anything along these lines?

Nonetheless, our local beat writer Paul Dehner Jr. had this to say yesterday:

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 11:21 AM)NKYRob Wrote: I was listening to the PFF Pro Podcast (Link: https://www.profootballfocus.com/pff-podcast/) this morning, and they began discussing Andrew Whitworth for a few minutes(right around the 7 minute mark for those interested in listening).  This particular podcast was actually published before the franchise tag deadline (I'm a little behind) but they mentioned on their they thought Whitworth was a candidate for the franchise tag.  Obviously the time for this has passed, and the Bengals did not tag him.  

What I found most interesting was their reasoning.  They said that Cincy simply couldn't let him slip away and they didn't think we would be able to get him to agree to contract to stay.  They said Cincy treated him so badly when they decided to move on from him with the draft picks that he is ready to leave.

Quite frankly, this is the first time I've heard of Whitworth being treated badly by the organization, in addition to hearing that he wants to leave.  Everything else I've heard indicates he wants to stay if possible.  Anybody else heard anything along these lines?

Nonetheless, our local beat writer Paul Dehner Jr. had this to say yesterday:

Before his last contract the Bengals tried to low ball him after drafting two Tackles.  This is when he really started talking to media about contracts and it was obvious that he felt underappreciated.  The fact is big Whit is one of the best players to put on the stripes and even at 35 he seems to be getting better.

Paul Dehner Jr is simply wrong and when he hits free agency not only will he be offered more money, but it will be with win now teams.  My prediction is that our big 3 hit free agency and leave.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 11:38 AM)Okeana Wrote: Before his last contract the Bengals tried to low ball him after drafting two Tackles.  This is when he really started talking to media about contracts and it was obvious that he felt underappreciated.  The fact is big Whit is one of the best players to put on the stripes and even at 35 he seems to be getting better.

Paul Dehner Jr is simply wrong and when he hits free agency not only will he be offered more money, but it will be with win now teams.  My prediction is that our big 3 hit free agency and leave.

for a 35 year old even one that just went to a probowl its a hard investment.. Whit could play till 40 maybe who knows... Or he could break down game 2 next year.  Do you invest in him or try to invest in a guy that will be around for the next 4-6 years potentially.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 06:39 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: for a 35 year old even one that just went to a probowl its a hard investment.. Whit could play till 40 maybe who knows... Or he could break down game 2 next year.  Do you invest in him or try to invest in a guy that will be around for the next 4-6 years potentially.

They said this two years ago when he was 33 and he put up two of the best years of his career.  Whitworth takes care of himself and hasn't had the injuries others have had over their careers.  Sign him to a two year deal.  If he declines even the slightest than rotate him in to guard to finish his career.  I have no doubt that if we don't someone else will because he simply isn't declining.  Lastly I will say that Whitworth has never dominated with being a superior athlete, but he wins with superior technique and power which are two of the last things to go with age.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 11:38 AM)Okeana Wrote: Before his last contract the Bengals tried to low ball him after drafting two Tackles.  This is when he really started talking to media about contracts and it was obvious that he felt underappreciated.  The fact is big Whit is one of the best players to put on the stripes and even at 35 he seems to be getting better.

Yeah I can't remember exactly how it played out, but Whit didn't seem happy after the 2 tackles were drafted. I think he or his wife hinted at his unhappiness on Twitter and later tried to play it off like it was a joke or something. Anybody remember what I'm talking about?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 06:39 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: for a 35 year old even one that just went to a probowl its a hard investment.. Whit could play till 40 maybe who knows... Or he could break down game 2 next year.  Do you invest in him or try to invest in a guy that will be around for the next 4-6 years potentially.

The problem is that we have the worst LT in the league if he leaves.  You can't really roll the dice just yet on Ced.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 06:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah I can't remember exactly how it played out, but Whit didn't seem happy after the 2 tackles were drafted. I think he or his wife hinted at his unhappiness on Twitter and later tried to play it off like it was a joke or something. Anybody remember what I'm talking about?

Yeah, and some other quotes from him during that time:

"Mess up and draft somebody at my position because you are going to sit around and watch him sit the bench."

"I wish that there had been [conversations with myself and the Bengals about drafting tackles], but I'm a big boy, I can handle it. This is my football team, I'm the captain of it. I've been the leader of it for a long time and don't plan on letting that change."

"[When the team says] we'd like you to be the leader of our football team, but we'd also like the best situation possible for us to talk to you when we want to, that's a one-way street and not really top-of-the-line in customer service. But it is what it is. Hopefully one day that conversation will be had and I'll be here."
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 06:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah I can't remember exactly how it played out, but Whit didn't seem happy after the 2 tackles were drafted. I think he or his wife hinted at his unhappiness on Twitter and later tried to play it off like it was a joke or something. Anybody remember what I'm talking about?

Yep, here's a link

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/17067/bengals-andrew-whitworth-mike-brown-twitter-tweet-accident
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

I don't think he's wrong,  If he tweets that and he's wrong, he looks like a giant idiot.  Why would he jeopardize his credibility like that?  Why do you think he's lying?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 07:46 PM)McC Wrote: I don't think he's wrong,  If he tweets that and he's wrong, he looks like a giant idiot.  Why would he jeopardize his credibility like that?  Why do you think he's lying?

What would be the benefit for Whitworth.  He's the number 1 OT in this Free agency and hes drawing interest from contenders.  He has been more and more jaded by the Bengals and now he's 6 days away from free agency.  He may be a patriot or a Bronco next year.

Reply/Quote
Well yesterday it looked like he was gonna be resigned soon, now it appears Miley boy is willing to let him test the market to establish his value. Playing with fire if you ask me. Not shocked if Whit and Zeitler both walk now. Oh well what's new, another shrewd Bengals offseason. Let's see if we can protect Andy with the scrubs we have already and whatever turds end up in the garbage heap.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Great point! He's the oldest starting Tackle in the NFL and there is a reason for that...it's a position that doesn't really age well.
Reply/Quote
the Bengals are totally crazy if they let Whit and Z both leave.

Both are far more important to the team than Dre K who cannot tackle and is a penalty machine.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 07:46 PM)McC Wrote: I don't think he's wrong,  If he tweets that and he's wrong, he looks like a giant idiot.  Why would he jeopardize his credibility like that?  Why do you think he's lying?

Not saying he's wrong, but being wrong in the Twitter age doesn't matter anymore. Just getting it out first is the most important thing. Sadly.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 08:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not saying he's wrong, but being wrong in the Twitter age doesn't matter anymore. Just getting it out first is the most important thing. Sadly.

Somebody must have told him something.  I'm thinking the Bengals beat writer would be more in the know than Florio's Bengal haters.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Letting Whit walk will be like letting Nelson go in the secondary.

Old? check.

Still playing at a good level and highly knowledgeable... yup.

Let's just hope they don't take him for granted. It could get ugly here.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 07:54 PM)Okeana Wrote: What would be the benefit for Whitworth.  He's the number 1 OT in this Free agency and hes drawing interest from contenders.  He has been more and more jaded by the Bengals and now he's 6 days away from free agency.  He may be a patriot or a Bronco next year.

He'll be a Giant if not a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
I don't get how we treated him badly? He got an extension worth a lot of money.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I just really wish Ced wasn't such trash. Then it would be such an easy decision to sink full resources into resigning Zeitler and not be hung up on if Whit walked or not.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 08:36 PM)McC Wrote: Somebody must have told him something.  I'm thinking the Bengals beat writer would be more in the know than Florio's Bengal haters.

I dunno man...ESPN is now reporting he will test the FA market as well.  This FO is one giant turd circling the drain.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote