Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson - only $15 million of cap to work with?
Every year people get mad at the math, yet every year we spend above the floor. We spent within 5 million of the cap last season, and I am sure we will be close again.
Reply/Quote
We keep rolling over money for future extensions, then the year comes and those players need extended and we hear that we can't afford them (big 3) because we......... you guessed it, need to roll over money for future extensions.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
So let's cut Adam Jones.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 12:20 PM)jj22 Wrote: We keep rolling over money for future extensions, then the year comes and those players need extended and we hear that we can't afford them (big 3) because we......... you guessed it, need to roll over money for future extensions.

As I said we spent up to within 5 million last year and rolled over most to this year, so where is that money not getting used? Everyone's argument falls apart when you realize we are ending seasons right at the cap, we are not sitting around at the end of the year with $20 million in cap space.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 12:23 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: So let's cut Adam Jones.

.....and not re-sign Peko, cut Hockaloogie, let Hunt walk, etc.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 12:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: As I said we spent up to within 5 million last year and rolled over most to this year, so where is that money not getting used? Everyone's argument falls apart when you realize we are ending seasons right at the cap, we are not sitting around at the end of the year with $20 million in cap space.

Just keep watching these teams with 10m in cap space get it done. I guess they don't have rookies, injuries etc...

Steelers have already done more with their "cap space" then we can "afford" with our 43M. How's that possible? Watch Baltimore. So much for "model model". Who are we modeling ourselves after again?

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 12:23 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: So let's cut Adam Jones.

I agree and think that could be an option if we have a good number set with a couple of these guys and need the cash to do it.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 12:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: Every year people get mad at the math, yet every year we spend above the floor. We spent within 5 million of the cap last season, and I am sure we will be close again.
Spending the money and spending it well are two different things.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Steelers just spent 100 mil in FA on 2 dudes

and we have 15 mil total?

Hobspin at it again lol
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 12:27 PM)jj22 Wrote: Just keep watching these teams with 10m in cap space get it done. I guess they don't have rookies, injuries etc...

Steelers have already done more with their "cap space" then we can "afford" with our 43M. How's that possible?

Are you arguing with the math? NFLPA monitors this closely and the numbers reported are correct. The argument it is being rolled over for nothing is simply false. You can argue they spend the money better, but you simply can't argue we aren't spending our cap.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 12:30 PM)McC Wrote: Spending the money and spending it well are two different things.

I agree, but many people's argument is it's not being spent which is false.
Reply/Quote
We all expect it every year, no sense in trying to do m
Ath or figure it out. They are cheap and give guys big money who don't deserve it too. Like Leon hall making like what was it 9 million his last year. It's just excuse not to get anybody in free agency. You know Mike brown is pocketing millions still.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 12:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: I agree, but many people's argument is it's not being spent which is false.

It's just all part of the charade about wanting to win a SB.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 12:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: Are you arguing with the math? NFLPA monitors this closely and the numbers reported are correct. The argument it is being rolled over for nothing is simply false. You can argue they spend the money better, but you simply can't argue we aren't spending our cap.

I'm arguing that I don't believe Hobspin.

Reply/Quote
You guys are forgetting the Mike Brown oersonal sandwhich maker fund we have to keep at around 10 million

So instead of the 43 mil we have, it went to 15 because of........reasons

and when you factor in the executive sandwhich maker position we actiually have about 78 dollars to spend in free agency.

Gotta keep that 20 mil for the draft right?

So when we actually do get stars we can let them walk like Zeitler lol

I love this team

Just for the record Steelers had no cap space either and spent close to 100 million dollars on 2 players

We wouldve picked Brown OR Bell. If you think this franchise wouldve kept both your lying to yourself.

Theres a reason other teams have success and we dont
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 12:38 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm arguing that I don't believe Hobspin.

Okay, but if every year he does his math (and you don't believe him) and every year we end up close to being even with cap where is the disconnect? The money isn't vanishing, it is getting spent, so then what did he lie about? I agree we could do better jobs at freeing cap, or doing an occasional restructure, but the free cap gets spent.
Reply/Quote
Here are the numbers compared to the champs for entertainment purpose:
Bengals:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/
Patriots:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/

Pacman needs to come off the books immediately and as I mentioned before in another thread I would shop Green if we don't plan on improving the o' line. At this point not sure Eifert is worth it either due to injury problems and again, the 'suspect' line. MJ gone as well.

Use that money to build the line with a great coach. Andy will be fine throwing to decent receivers with protection.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 12:39 PM)Housh Wrote: You guys are forgetting the Mike Brown oersonal sandwhich maker fund we have to keep at around 10 million

So instead of the 43 mil we have, it went to 15 because of........reasons

and when you factor in the executive sandwhich maker position we actiually have about 78 dollars to spend in free agency.

Gotta keep that 20 mil for the draft right?

So when we actually do get stars we can let them walk like Zeitler lol

I love this team

Yep.   How awesome it is to follow up a bad season with a horrible off season.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 12:41 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Here are the numbers compared to the champs for entertainment purpose:
Bengals:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/
Patriots:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/

Pacman needs to come off the books immediately and as I mentioned before in another thread I would shop Green if we don't plan on improving the o' line. At this point not sure Eifert is worth it either due to injury problems and again, the suspect line. MJ gone as well.

Use that money to build the lines with a great coach.

That is misleading that is cap space coming up. Look at cap space last year at the end of the season, we had less. We actually spent 7 million more than the Patriots.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 12:40 PM)Au165 Wrote: Okay, but if every year he does his math (and you don't believe him) and every year we end up close to being even with cap where is the disconnect? The money isn't vanishing, it is getting spent, so then what did he lie about? I agree we could do better jobs at freeing cap, or doing an occasional restructure, but the free cap gets spent.

No way we re-sign 2 out of the 3 with just 15M. So when/if we do, you'll see he was downplaying how much we can spend.

Reply/Quote