Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hobson's Choice High Comedy
(03-22-2018, 08:12 AM)dnkw Wrote: I see that Hobson suggests that if McGlinchey's there at 21 we take him first, and center in R2.

Are the three centers we are likely to pick from that much different in quality? Only for me (and this is probably due to having endured Bodine being forced into Dalton's lap/RB's being tackled behind the LOS), I want the biggest, best and meanest b*stard anchoring the middle of the line as a top priority. It would just be so nice for that part of the line to be rock solid and productive.

McGlinchey and then Price or Ragnow in the 2nd sure sounds the way to go to me.

Those are two big, mean, nasty bastids that can anchor the middle for us.

Daniels? Not so much as he is an athletic technician. Young though and could bulk up but core strength is still a concern with Daniels.

To the OP, ole Hobspin's choice always gives me a chuckle. Whatever

Does look like he picked out the nice guys, i mean clueless ones for the most part. No offense Neefus. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 08:12 AM)dnkw Wrote: I see that Hobson suggests that if McGlinchey's there at 21 we take him first, and center in R2.

Are the three centers we are likely to pick from that much different in quality? Only for me (and this is probably due to having endured Bodine being forced into Dalton's lap/RB's being tackled behind the LOS), I want the biggest, best and meanest b*stard anchoring the middle of the line as a top priority. It would just be so nice for that part of the line to be rock solid and productive.

I email a question a few years ago about dumping Maulaluga. I said he had no reason to be taking cap space and Hobby got a little bent. Never printed anymore of my questions again...
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 08:16 AM)dnkw Wrote: That particular quote reminds me of some of the obviously dodgy product reviews you see on Amazon that are clearly posted by the seller under a false name. :)

I always assumed Hobspin wrote the questions and made up the names of the questioners. Has anyone on here had a question answered or know of someone who has?
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
BTW, Neefus didn't ask a dumb question even nor did he say anything dumb. He actually had a good one.

Just the name makes me laugh. Neefus.

Pownall, now that guy just sounded like a suck up to ole Hobs, Marv and MB. No wonder why Hobs picked that one out.

I did like hearing about taking Center like Price in round 1 or McGlinchey, if we got McG, go Price or Ragnow at 46.

Hobs is saying Price won't fall to 46 but i don't believe it, one of the two will and Ragnow will be ready before Price and
Daniels may be the first Center taken with his skillset. Not many times do 3 Centers go before pick 46...
Reply/Quote
"Gee Geoff, thanks for all your hard work to keep us sooo well informed.." seems to be the magic words to get your question answered..  How about "Gee thanks for touting the company line each and every time and skipping over the really important issues .."  We just never see the later in those letters to the editor now do we? I wonder why . I guess it'll remain a mystery forever and ever and ever and ever and ever....
I've already crossed Price off the list. He played college ball at Ohio State.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 04:35 PM)grampahol Wrote: "Gee Geoff, thanks for all your hard work to keep us sooo well informed.." seems to be the magic words to get your question answered..  How about "Gee thanks for touting the company line each and every time and skipping over the really important issues .."  We just never see the later in those letters to the editor now do we? I wonder why . I guess it'll remain a mystery forever and ever and ever and ever and ever....
I've already crossed Price off the list. He played college ball at Ohio State.  

Dude, cut Hobs some slack. It takes an enormous amount of time, energy, and mental gymnastics to make the front office and all of its moves/non-moves seem like good things. :andy:
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 04:35 PM)grampahol Wrote: I've already crossed Price off the list. He played college ball at Ohio State.  

You mean like Reid Fragel?

Fragel and Sanzenbacher were teammates at OSU weren't they?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 07:16 PM)Joelist Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-whats-next-after-the-take/0c5cef32-1cc1-456a-bc94-e71fd1cb21f6

It's like Hobson looked for the worst informed questions he could for answering.

Just doing his job........mouthpiece for the Browns.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 02:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No offense Neefus. Ninja

Rodney Dangerfield lines are classic!
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 03:14 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: I always assumed Hobspin wrote the questions and made up the names of the questioners.  Has anyone on here had a question answered or know of someone who has?

I've emailed in quite a few questions over the years and not had any answered, I thought it was just down to me living in Scotland and not the USA and maybe the questions not getting through so I eventually gave up
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 03:14 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: I always assumed Hobspin wrote the questions and made up the names of the questioners.  Has anyone on here had a question answered or know of someone who has?

I know one of the guys that Hobspin answers questions to because I recognize the name. It's not all made up. But I have my suspicions that some of them either are, and/or he selectively ignores any questions that are intense in their criticism of the franchise. He'll cherry pick a few questions which are critical, but either answer them by ignoring the point, or answer them because the person who asked the question had some facts wrong and Hobs can show how the guy was wrong, therefore accomplishing something: linking points critical of the organization to inaccuracy. 

It's an ok read if you're bored or just want an idea on what the franchise is thinking, but don't take it too seriously or you'll end up being really frustrated.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 02:13 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I know one of the guys that Hobspin answers questions to because I recognize the name. It's not all made up. But I have my suspicions that some of them either are, and/or he selectively ignores any questions that are intense in their criticism of the franchise. He'll cherry pick a few questions which are critical, but either answer them by ignoring the point, or answer them because the person who asked the question had some facts wrong and Hobs can show how the guy was wrong, therefore accomplishing something: linking points critical of the organization to inaccuracy. 

It's an ok read if you're bored or just want an idea on what the franchise is thinking, but don't take it too seriously or you'll end up being really frustrated.

Sandwedge said on this very page he wrote Hobs more than once, only answererd him once though and got bent out of shape
by the tough question surprisingly enough.

I know Brad was on the front page before as well. It is not made up.

He don't like tough questions though, that is for sure.
Reply/Quote
If you want answered make sure your kissing ass lol
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 03:31 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: If you want answered make sure your kissing ass lol

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 07:28 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Who was the clown who said he liked Hobsons work and liked MB and ML? Must be a part time fan who never watches any games.

I'm convinced that whole 'letter' is either A) Someone trolling SUPER hard, or B) Mike Brown's version of John Barron writing the letter. 

"My biggest concern is the loss of Bodine. I know a lot of folks are glad to see him go, but there is more to being a center than blocking and pass protection, and while he struggle with those at times, he handled the rest of it really well." 

What the actual hell? "Sure the guy sucked at 95% of what you want your center to do, but dammit the uniform fit him properly, he never got arrested, was able to walk and breathe through his nose at the same time, and really, who on the O-Line was as good at helping Andy up after a sack that he was responsible for than Bodine?...he was GREAT at those things, why don't people acknowledge that?!"

If that guy was/is serious, then that right there boys and girls is why you should NEVER, EVER eat paint chips or huff glue!
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 05:42 PM)Ravage Wrote: I'm convinced that whole 'letter' is either A) Someone trolling SUPER hard, or B) Mike Brown's version of John Barron writing the letter. 

"My biggest concern is the loss of Bodine. I know a lot of folks are glad to see him go, but there is more to being a center than blocking and pass protection, and while he struggle with those at times, he handled the rest of it really well." 

What the actual hell? "Sure the guy sucked at 95% of what you want your center to do, but dammit the uniform fit him properly, he never got arrested, was able to walk and breathe through his nose at the same time, and really, who on the O-Line was as good at helping Andy up after a sack that he was responsible for than Bodine?...he was GREAT at those things, why don't people acknowledge that?!"

If that guy was/is serious, then that right there boys and girls is why you should NEVER, EVER eat paint chips or huff glue!

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 11:29 AM)depthchart Wrote: I doubt McGlinchey will be there when we pick but I do see him as being a guy that can begin his career as a Right tackle and then become a long term Left Tackle in the league. After calming down some after the Bodine gone news, I would take McGlinchey over a Center in round 1.

We would still almost be assured at least getting Frank Ragnow in round 2.

In the 2017 Draft, it looks like Ethan Pocic was the first Center taken with pick #58 in round two and then Pat Eiflein went with pick #70 in round 3.

There probably will be at least one Center going in round 1 this year but I doubt 3 will go by our pick #46 in the 2nd round. The Bengals probably even have a 4th Center that they like which may mean a round 3 pick is used.

In my mind, Legit Left Tackles are harder to come by, so I would take McGlinchey who former NFL GM Charlie Casserly says is a top 15 player and even recommended him for the Bengals to play on the right side early and then switch with Cordy Glenn later putting Glenn at right tackle maybe in McGlinchey's 2nd or 3rd year.

Glenn, Boling, Ragnow, McGlinchey  - (with Hopkins, Westerman, Fisher, Hart etc competing for the last Guard spot) 

* This would seem like an Offensive Line overhaul to me and be done after round 2.
I agree.... ThumbsUp
be nice if McGlinchey would slide to the 21 spot....
Reply/Quote
I hate writing, and I suck at it, but Hobson still being employed by the Bengals lets me know that there's a job out there in that field if I ever needed it.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Dear Mr Hobson:

I really love your work. You cover the Bengals perfectly and never write fluff articles kissing the owners ass. Also, you are great in bed!!!" With the Bengals making these moves do you think its fair to raise ticket prices and beer this season? Will the Bengals address the C position in the draft? Love your work

Signed Heoff Gobson

Great question Heoff. My inside sources are telling me that the Bengals are working on a trade for Russell Bodine the Center of the Buffalo Bills. The trade would be the 21st overall pick in the 2018 draft and send WJIII to the Bills and in exchange , the Bengals get their starting Center. Also, that is a great question abt Ticket prices and beer. Due to the Bengals success and limited seating, Mike Brown will be raising ticket prices by 20$ and beer will now be 45 dollars a cup.
Reply/Quote