Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson still spinning the same old crap
(02-12-2019, 12:38 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We can all agree Comp picks are lame.

Most of us anyway.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 12:25 PM)McC Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-s-choice-bengaldom-takes-in-massive-change

It may be a new dey but Goebbels still going with the same nonsense.  That guy makes me sick.

Thats his job, he's a Bengal hired gun and to promote the team in a positive spin. You don't think the Bengals would hire someone who would call the organization shit? LOL
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 03:49 PM)GodFather Wrote: Thats his job, he's a Bengal hired gun and to promote the team in a positive spin. You don't think the Bengals would hire someone who would call the organization shit? LOL

well he wouldn't be around long if he did
Reply/Quote
Comp picks are good if you draft good players with them or trade the picks for targeted players. Note the Pats are loaded in rounds 2 and 3 again, some teams just manage the draft picks better than others.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2019, 03:49 PM)GodFather Wrote: Thats his job, he's a Bengal hired gun and to promote the team in a positive spin. You don't think the Bengals would hire someone who would call the organization shit? LOL

I just wish he would quit with the comp pick bullshit.  You're right.  It's not his fault.  But could he say anything different for a change.  He's got his shit on a loop.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 12:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So which part did you think was nonsense?

Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's views and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and everyone's opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say...
Reply/Quote
I stopped reading his articles years ago. A complete waste of time. The only good thing about the official site is the video content.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 12:25 PM)McC Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-s-choice-bengaldom-takes-in-massive-change

It may be a new dey but Goebbels still going with the same nonsense.  That guy makes me sick.
Man what you reading I found this spot on in my own opinion on a few of the questions,  also he is writing for bengals site, come on, this is a bit of joe nuxsall writing on Reds site. 
Reply/Quote

You mean if Hobson came right out and wrote that the owner is stupid and the coaches are too he might get fired? Nahhhhh.. That would never happen. They'd promote him to...uhmmmm....something..  Nervous
You really don't see too many teams hiring writers who write: team sucks, owner sucks, fans all suck, stadium sucks, the city sucks, my job sucks, this typewriter sucks, my computer monitor sucks, all my coworkers suck.. In fact the only thing that doesn't suck is that I get paid to say this.. Yeah, that sucks too..

Yeah...You just never see that do you? I wonder why..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
If MB's entire tenure hasn't proven change is necessary I don't know what will ? The execution of whatever strategy they've tried through the years has failed. Be it the draft, free agency, comp picks, resigning the wrong players and so on.

The whole comp pocks thing has shown little to no success for us.To keep touting it as a mission that works is just ignoring the facts and insulting our intelligence.
Reply/Quote
If there's anything about Hobson's style that puts me off is his insistence on writing fluff pieces with little to no redeeming qualities. Does anyone really care that player X's great, great grandpappy once had an affair with someone else's great great granny which lead to a team that accomplished squat? 
Perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit there, but Hobson tends to put out plenty of useless fluff. He's far from alone in that though. Good, talented sports writers (and announcers) are a rare breed so teams tend to settle for someone who can write (or broadcast) fluff just in time for their deadlines. The days of having a generational talent the likes of Waite Hoyte seem to be over. Waite Hoyte (baseball of course which isn't that different from football as far as on air talent goes) had a special flair to get people to specially tune in to listen during a rain delay. It was said of Hoyte that people would pray for a rain delay just to listen to Hoyte's stories.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
CHANGING OF THE GUARD

'Then they dipped into their rare waters of unrestricted free agency to sign powerful right guard John Miller, a glistening weight-room product with a work ethic to match.'

https://www.bengals.com/news/notebook-vigil-ant-defense-steps-out-judging-the-rush-up-front
Reply/Quote
If they signed McCoy or Suh or any big name that would be a fresh start. Oh well.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 12:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: CHANGING OF THE GUARD

'Then they dipped into their rare waters of unrestricted free agency to sign powerful right guard John Miller, a glistening weight-room product with a work ethic to match.'

https://www.bengals.com/news/notebook-vigil-ant-defense-steps-out-judging-the-rush-up-front

Oh, the Bengals employee who writes for the team's official website was overly positive about a move they made? Color me shocked.

But hey, we would NEVER resort to over exaggerations or hyperbole here, no sir.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 12:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: CHANGING OF THE GUARD

“Glistening weight room product?” Wtf. Methinks hobspin may be having impure thoughts about our new rg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 02:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The compensatory pick strategy is my issue. It's been dumb.

We tout compensatory picks like they have a ton of value and the list has been posted and we haven't landed any talent over the years.

I don't mind the extra picks, but for next year, we aren't going to get any or 1 at tops, so why not take a chance and get a few FA's? Highly unlikely that 1 late round pick will be the All Pro of the Decade.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 05:00 PM)grampahol Wrote: If there's anything about Hobson's style that puts me off is his insistence on writing fluff pieces with little to no redeeming qualities. Does anyone really care that player X's great, great grandpappy once had an affair with someone else's great great granny which lead to a team that accomplished squat? 
Perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit there, but Hobson tends to put out plenty of useless fluff. He's far from alone in that though. Good, talented sports writers (and announcers) are a rare breed so teams tend to settle for someone who can write (or broadcast) fluff just in time for their deadlines. The days of having a generational talent the likes of Waite Hoyte seem to be over. Waite Hoyte (baseball of course which isn't that different from football as far as on air talent goes) had a special flair to get people to specially tune in to listen during a rain delay. It was said of Hoyte that people would pray for a rain delay just to listen to Hoyte's stories.. 

There’s only so many good things that can be said about the Armon Binns’ and Alex Redmond’s of the world. Hence, the fluff...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 08:05 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: There’s only so many good things that can be said about the Armon Binns’ and Alex Redmond’s of the world.  Hence, the fluff...

Heh..touche..
Hobson and fluff go together like little kids and candy though. When you're covering a last place team there just isn't much else to write about some days.
IDK, I like reading Hobson most days though not so much for content as his actual writing style. He's very readable compared with some writers who are like trying to read Shakespeare in a dark room wearing shades right after downing a bottle of everclear..  You don't have to agree with Hobson to appreciate his writing style.  

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 12:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: CHANGING OF THE GUARD

Bodine was "powerful" too, but that didn't turn out too well. I think Miller was an upgrade over what the Bengals threw out there last year, but he's no stud. Now I'm waiting for a fluff piece on Kerry Wynn (or did I just miss that one already)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I thought this was a nice point by Hobson:

'The stats will tell you that in the last three seasons, the Bengals were not only broadsided by injury but by the evolving NFL game. On both sides of the ball. I think the Bengals defense may get as much benefit from the new offense as the offense because they’ll have to react and respond daily to the diversity and flexibility of a scheme that seems more in step with the league.'

https://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-s-choice-change-of-pace
Reply/Quote