Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobspin - Ogbuehi change of scenery
(07-02-2018, 04:34 PM)3wt Wrote: Though I really like Pollack and hope that he can pull a rabbit out of the hat, I certainly do not expect Og to suddenly change into a really good OT.

I just think Alexander was so blown away by his athletic abilities that he filed his questionable traits under the category of "played the spread in college, just needs me to coach him up".  

A player can say anything to convince you they're going to be good.  But I liked the Forest Gregg and Tim Krumrie approach to assessment.  Get into it with the player and if they put you on your butt you draft them.

I have (way) more hope for Fisher than Ogbuehi because Fisher had that "Finish him!" mentality at Oregon. That should fit well with Pollack's approach.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 04:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Coach Pollack can teach Ogbuehi all the right dance steps, but there are a couple of things that just can't be coached.  Things like aggression and urge to dominate one's opponent.  I got nothing personal against the guy, he seems like a fine physical specimen.  He just doesn't seem to have that inherent toughness associated with Offensive Linemen.
Agree,

I remember listening to Dave Lapham during a game broadcast a couple seasons ago on the radio coming home from somewhere saying words to the effect of "when is Ogbuehi going to come out for the next play and say you're not beating me this time" ?

That's the missing part of his game.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 05:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree,

I remember listening to Dave Lapham during a game broadcast a couple seasons ago on the radio coming home from somewhere saying words to the effect of "when is Ogbuehi going to come out for the next play and say you're not beating me this time" ?

That's the missing part of his game.

Yessir!  Seeing how I was a "skinny" lineman, I really had to want it more than guys 50-80# bigger than me.  (a lot of "creative technique" helped a bit..)   Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I’ll root for him as long as he’s here but we all know he’s not even a good back up rotational guy he’s just not cut out for the nfl idk if injuries hurt him or if it’s mental either way as bad as it sounds I have given up on him
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 10:08 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Hobspin article on the mother ship touting Ogbuehi's possibility of turning it around under Pollack.

I'm not at practice, I'm not in the locker room, I'll give ya that. But to me it really seems the guys heart just truly isn't in the game. It's not his passion. He gives up on plays at the drop of a hat !

I get the great athlete and ability stuff but if he's not really "in it". You can't fix him. I hope they're right and Ced O. turns it around but I just highly doubt it.

https://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-s-choice-change-of-scenery

Yeah, feel the same. It doesn't matter how talented a player is if he doesn't have that fire in him to be great.

Og clearly doesn't have that fire and to think he just will magically get it just doesn't seem realistic to me.

But, if Pollack could get that fire into him, damn would that be an accomplishment. Shocked
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 06:03 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: I’ll root for him as long as he’s here but we all know he’s not even a good back up rotational guy he’s just not cut out for the nfl idk if injuries hurt him or if it’s mental either way as bad as it sounds I have given up on him

Oh me to,

I have nothing against the guy, I hope he comes out and gets All-pro this season. I just highly doubt it !

(07-02-2018, 06:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, feel the same. It doesn't matter how talented a player is if he doesn't have that fire in him to be great.

Og clearly doesn't have that fire and to think he just will magically get it just doesn't seem realistic to me.

But, if Pollack could get that fire into him, damn would that be an accomplishment. Shocked

If Pollack can turn Ced O's game around he can probably walk on water as well.
Reply/Quote
Dude should have been cut last season; dude blows chuncks. We lost Whitworth and Zeitler but yet kept this bum.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 06:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, feel the same. It doesn't matter how talented a player is if he doesn't have that fire in him to be great.

If Pollack can do that, then he is the miracle worker! You could watch play after play and Og's hands were never up to deliver a blow. That is what amazes me, especially a guy who was doing MMA stuff. Unless he liked getting his face bashed in... LMAO
Reply/Quote
I'm not writing anyone off quite yet. While I don't have much confidence in OG he and others might surprise us all and live up to their draft status. If not then oh well, the naysayers will be right, but just as it's the exception for players to turn it around after failing miserably several years  it's also pretty rare that the regular naysayers are right on a regular basis.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 04:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I have (way) more hope for Fisher than Ogbuehi because Fisher had that "Finish him!" mentality at Oregon. That should fit well with Pollack's approach.

Sorry, but I've never seen that killer instinct out of Fisher.  His draft profile reads...

"One of the most penalized tackles in 2015 draft class over last two seasons, including six holding calls during 2014 season. Needs angles to get consistent push in run game. Lacks power. Allows outside hand to get wide in pass pro, opening himself up to bull rush. Catches pass rusher rather than punching. Not much pop in his hands. Inconsistent feet as a run blocker, slowing feet at contact against power. Missed part of 2014 with a leg injury. Needs weight-room work to add more bulk to his frame. Needs to improve his contact balance against power."

Fisher has looked marginally better than Og, but they are cut from the same cloth.  Both are passive finesse T's that played in spread offenses in college.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 04:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Coach Pollack can teach Ogbuehi all the right dance steps, but there are a couple of things that just can't be coached. Things like aggression and urge to dominate one's opponent. I got nothing personal against the guy, he seems like a fine physical specimen. He just doesn't seem to have that inherent toughness associated with Offensive Linemen.

Maybe OG plays piano too, I dunno. I agree he seems like a nice guy but that's part of the problem. Alexander must of saw his younger self in OG.
Reply/Quote
If Frank Pollak can turn around Ced, then he deserves to be the highest paid assistant coach in the league.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 12:48 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: If Frank Pollak can turn around Ced, then he deserves to be the highest paid assistant coach in the league.

He should be Time magazines Man of the Year.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 01:52 AM)TKUHL Wrote: He should be Time magazines Man of the Year.

As well as the Nobel Peace Prize.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 04:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I have (way) more hope for Fisher than Ogbuehi because Fisher had that "Finish him!" mentality at Oregon. That should fit well with Pollack's approach.

I don't know Ocho, watch the National Championship game against Ohio State. Bosa made Fisher his b-itch all game long.....
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 12:48 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: If Frank Pollak can turn around Ced, then he deserves to be the highest paid assistant coach in the league.

Is there a section in the HOF specifically for offensive line coaches? I can already see the bronze bust of Cedric Ogbuehi titled, "Frank Pollack turned his career around."
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 11:49 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I don't know Ocho, watch the National Championship game against Ohio State. Bosa made Fisher his b-itch all game long.....

So because Fisher got beat by the eventual #3 overall pick in 2016 who has had 23 sacks in the NFL in just 28 games played, it means he can't become a good NFL OT? Even though the skill in NFL is much better than college, most pass rushers are not of Bosa's caliber.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 09:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: Sorry, but I've never seen that killer instinct out of Fisher.  His draft profile reads...

"One of the most penalized tackles in 2015 draft class over last two seasons, including six holding calls during 2014 season. Needs angles to get consistent push in run game. Lacks power. Allows outside hand to get wide in pass pro, opening himself up to bull rush. Catches pass rusher rather than punching. Not much pop in his hands. Inconsistent feet as a run blocker, slowing feet at contact against power. Missed part of 2014 with a leg injury. Needs weight-room work to add more bulk to his frame. Needs to improve his contact balance against power."

Fisher has looked marginally better than Og, but they are cut from the same cloth.  Both are passive finesse T's that played in spread offenses in college.

To be fair you have to also list his strengths.

I have seen Fisher finish blocks with a nasty streak, granted it was before the heart problem.

I am not willing to give up on him yet.

(07-03-2018, 12:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So because Fisher got beat by the eventual #3 overall pick in 2016 who has had 23 sacks in the NFL in just 28 games played, it means he can't become a good NFL OT? Even though the skill in NFL is much better than college, most pass rushers are not of Bosa's caliber.

Agreed, Sam Hubbard beat Quinton Nelson badly a few times who was the #1 Guard in this past Draft too.

O-lineman get beat from time to time, even the best. Fisher is versatile and has good feet. I could see Pollack getting
something out of him as long as the heart thing is over with.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 07:07 PM)sandwedge Wrote: If Pollack can do that, then he is the miracle worker! You could watch play after play and Og's hands were never up to deliver a blow. That is what amazes me, especially a guy who was doing MMA stuff. Unless he liked getting his face bashed in... LMAO

Yeah, it was pretty pathetic. If Pollack can turn this guy around like you said it would be a miracle.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 01:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, it was pretty pathetic. If Pollack can turn this guy around like you said it would be a miracle.

I don't think it's going to happen.  Ced just doesn't seem to have it in him.  Time to cut ties.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote