Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What a franchise QB can do
You dont think a QB can bring instant success the 49ers won 4 games last year when Jimmy G got hurt. Titans don't make playoffs without Tannehill. Most of our losses were close. You don't think Burrow compared to Dalton would have made a difference? How many teams had a losing record with a good QB. Cowboys with Prescott Falcons with Ryan thats about it
Reply/Quote
I will only follow the team that drafts Joe Burrow. Hopefully that is the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 08:45 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I will only follow the team that drafts Joe Burrow. Hopefully that is the Bengals.

We're used to that. We had a bunch of new "Bengals fans" when AJ McCarron was a Bengal.

Welcome aboard! ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 06:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2. You're reaching. Yes Joe was getting on in years, but the 21 passes you mention all came in an audition in the last game of the previous season. He threw for 2 TD's with 118.4 passer rating in that game, proving he still had it. He was a legend who clearly had some left in the tank. If he wanted to get paid, he would've gotten paid by someone.

Instead, he chose the best organization that looked like they were a QB away. If you don't think someone would've paid Joe, look at Peyton Manning. Similar situation. 36 year old coming off multiple neck surgeries and the Broncos gave him one of the biggest contracts in the league.

5. Again, the Patriots cycled in more talent when they lost talent. I guess we're going to ignore how many All-Pro and Pro Bowl selections the Patriots have had? Because that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Patriots - regardless of how often they've had to cycle players - have always had a wealth of talent. Different faces, same dominant team. You don't get 6 rings with a coach, QB and a cast of scrubs. 

What Shake said. Rock On
Reply/Quote
If anyone wants to know know what a franchise QB can do, all you have to do is look at the Bengals themselves.

If you ask Bengals fans what the worst decade for us was, it'd be unanimous that it was the 90's.

Look at that 1997 season, we weren't looking good under Jeff Blake that year, here comes Boomer Esiason.

Boomer had come in the 2nd half and lead us to victory over the winless Colts in week 11.

They start him in week 13, he leads us to 4-1 record. If our defense showed up against the Eagles in a 44-42 shootout we would have won all 5 games.

He was a direct result of 5 of our 7 wins that year.

That team was probably a 3-13 team that year talent wise, which is what the team was when he decided to retire.

Just by walking out on the field we were 4 games better and nearly 5 games better by having a franchise quarterback.

Now Jeff Blake was a solid quarterback, he could run and he was solid throwing the football and he was a good guy and hard worker, but Boomer Esiason was just better.

I don't mean to make it out that Jeff Blake wasn't a good player, because he certainly was, but that of the two Boomer Esiason was the franchise quarterback.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 11:13 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hopkins was hardly a “turnstile” this season.

This myth that all the other teams around the league have 5 All Galaxy players on their OL just proves how little some people here watch of the NFL outside the Bengals.

The run blocking sucked early on, there’s no denying that, but Dalton brought a lot of pressures and sack on himself as well. You can’t be a statue in today’s NFL. Pass rushers are just too good.

I never said "5 All Galaxy players".

But just for grins, name any Bengals offensive lineman who would have been a starter on any of the teams that made the playoffs. Or, name any Bengals offensive lineman who would have started for the Squealers.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 11:17 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: I never said "5 All Galaxy players".

But just for grins, name any Bengals offensive lineman who would have been a starter on any of the teams that made the playoffs. Or, name any Bengals offensive lineman who would have started for the Squealers.

Austin Reiter (starting center for KC) graded out at 63.0 by PFF this season.

Trey Hopkins graded out at 62.4
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 01:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Austin Reiter (starting center for KC) graded out at 63.0 by PFF this season.

Trey Hopkins graded out at 62.4

So out of the 12 teams that made the playoffs ... and the 60 offensive linemen on those teams  ... the Bengals have one (1) guy who MAYBE could have started.

I'm gonna jump for joy.
Reply/Quote
This is what a franchise QB can do...Throw with anticipation and understanding.

Joe Burrow puts this ball right on the goal line for Clyde Edwards-Helaire but when he actually releases it there is a corner right where the ball is going to end up. Burrow understands that the corner playing bail is going to continue further into the endzone carried by Ja'marr Chase and because he sees the linebacker pick up Thaddeus moss running a flat he knows there is going to be space for Clyde Edwards-Helaire running the corner route.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 10:04 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: So out of the 12 teams that made the playoffs ... and the 60 offensive linemen on those teams  ... the Bengals have one (1) guy who MAYBE could have started.

I'm gonna jump for joy.

Oh ffs...you asked, I answered.

So jump, run, do whatever the hell you want.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 11:48 AM)Synric Wrote: This is what a franchise QB can do...Throw with anticipation and understanding.

Joe Burrow puts this ball right on the goal line for Clyde Edwards-Helaire but when he actually releases it there is a corner right where the ball is going to end up. Burrow understands that the corner playing bail is going to continue further into the endzone carried by Ja'marr Chase and because he sees the linebacker pick up Thaddeus moss running a flat he knows there is going to be space for Clyde Edwards-Helaire running the corner route.

Wow does Joe make it look easy on this play.

Saban just throwing his hands up in the air like that just tells you all you need to know. Lol

Bet our other Joe should have a blast playing with this guy who likes to spread the ball around all over the place.

The anticipation as you say and the touch and accuracy on this play are outstanding.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 10:44 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: If anyone wants to know know what a franchise QB can do, all you have to do is look at the Bengals themselves.

If you ask Bengals fans what the worst decade for us was, it'd be unanimous that it was the 90's.

Look at that 1997 season, we weren't looking good under Jeff Blake that year, here comes Boomer Esiason.

Boomer had come in the 2nd half and lead us to victory over the winless Colts in week 11.

They start him in week 13, he leads us to 4-1 record. If our defense showed up against the Eagles in a 44-42 shootout we would have won all 5 games.

He was a direct result of 5 of our 7 wins that year.

That team was probably a 3-13 team that year talent wise, which is what the team was when he decided to retire.

Just by walking out on the field we were 4 games better and nearly 5 games better by having a franchise quarterback.

Now Jeff Blake was a solid quarterback, he could run and he was solid throwing the football and he was a good guy and hard worker, but Boomer Esiason was just better.

I don't mean to make it out that Jeff Blake wasn't a good player, because he certainly was, but that of the two Boomer Esiason was the franchise quarterback.

OFF TOPIC: my favorite pass I've ever seen thrown was a Blake-to-Pickens pass. I don't remember who we were playing, but the offense is around their own 20 yard line. Blake does a 7-step drop and launches a pass that arced so high, it went offscreen. Please note: the camera was not zoomed in. We're talking the entire offense and defense was visible with the exception of Pickens and I think Darnay Scott and the CBs covering them. The pass just went offscreen and eventually came down right into Pickens hands somewhere around the opposing team's 40. Dude didn't have to jump, slow down, nothing. Just dropped right in there. I was in awe. It was a beautiful pass. so amazing. Don't remember anything else about that game but that one pass.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 04:37 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: We lost 8 games by less than 1 score.  You really don't think a good QB would have made a difference in 3-4 of those games?

Same could be said about a defensive player that made the needed stops, it goes both ways. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 01:03 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: Same could be said about a defensive player that made the needed stops, it goes both ways. 

Even the best defensive players in the world aren’t involved in the play every single snap like a QB. So no, I don’t really think the same can be said for a defensive player.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 01:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Even the best defensive players in the world aren’t involved in the play every single snap like a QB. So no, I don’t really think the same can be said for a defensive player.

Maybe not one defensive player but the unit. Just like the offense is a unit. It is a team game. One player can't really make all the difference. As I said in another post even if Burrow could get 2 or 3 more wins the Bengals still have a losing record. I rather the team find as many pieces as possible to help improve the overall team and not focus on one or two areas. 

OL, LB, WR, TE, DB, etc... many issues across the board that needs to be addressed. Going QB only solves replacing Dalton and not the other issues on the team. 

I am not saying not to draft Burrow. What I am saying is Burrow won't make the Bengals a winner alone; there are many players on the Bengals and they need to play as a team to win. I don't care if the players are stars or not; if they can play together as a unit and play at a high level as a unit, the team will win. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 01:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Even the best defensive players in the world aren’t involved in the play every single snap like a QB. So no, I don’t really think the same can be said for a defensive player.

Exactly, QB is the most important position in sports. I don't care if we brought in Chase Young and he was great we still would 
be lacking at QB if we don't draft Burrow as Tua could be just made of glass and Herbert plays bad in big games and panics 
when plays breakdown just like Dalton. We need to score points, we were the worst at this in the league last year.

We score more points it takes more pressure off of your Defense and they can play better if they are not on the field all the time.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 02:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Exactly, QB is the most important position in sports. I don't care if we brought in Chase Young and he was great we still would 
be lacking at QB if we don't draft Burrow as Tua could be just made of glass and Herbert plays bad in big games and panics 
when plays breakdown just like Dalton. We need to score points, we were the worst at this in the league last year.

We score more points it takes more pressure off of your Defense and they can play better if they are not on the field all the time.

Right

And it gives you the ability to control games, to force your will on opponents. To force teams out of their comfort zone.

How long has it been since this team has forced it's will on anybody ?

This past season we averaged 17.4 points a game, 30th place in the league ! How Joe Burrow isn't a slam dunk with 100% of the board just baffles me.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 07:35 PM)PhilHos Wrote: OFF TOPIC: my favorite pass I've ever seen thrown was a Blake-to-Pickens pass. I don't remember who we were playing, but the offense is around their own 20 yard line. Blake does a 7-step drop and launches a pass that arced so high, it went offscreen. Please note: the camera was not zoomed in. We're talking the entire offense and defense was visible with the exception of Pickens and I think Darnay Scott and the CBs covering them. The pass just went offscreen and eventually came down right into Pickens hands somewhere around the opposing team's 40. Dude didn't have to jump, slow down, nothing. Just dropped right in there. I was in awe. It was a beautiful pass. so amazing. Don't remember anything else about that game but that one pass.

This?

#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 03:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right

And it gives you the ability to control games, to force your will on opponents. To force teams out of their comfort zone.

How long has it been since this team has forced it's will on anybody ?

This past season we averaged 17.4 points a game, 30th place in the league ! Hoe Joe Burrow isn't a slam dunk with 100% of the board just baffles me.

Yes, have to be able to control games and force your will on the Defense. It sets them back on their heels and you are the 
aggressor. I don't understand the trade threads either, makes no sense to put more stock in our FO making good picks than
the slam dunk of Joe Burrow who just came off the greatest season in college of all time for a QB.
Reply/Quote