Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current Cap Space
So we had around $50 million cap space in the offseason. We supposedly have around $14 million now...so yes we could have signed a top tier LB had we not signed Preston Brown.

We're projected to have near $60 million cap space this offseason. IF we move Glenn, that's another $9.8 million. So nearly $70 million.

I read that the Dolphins are expected to have around $100 million cap space and have a bunch of picks.

IF we played our cards right and traded a few veterans for picks, we could be in a decent rebuild situation.
Reply/Quote
I'm assuming that this number is minus Green and Dalton, which would be significant hit. At least one should be let go. if not, we're looking at Groundhog Day after Jackson and Billings are hopefully re-signed.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 11:45 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm assuming that this number is minus Green and Dalton, which would be significant hit.  At least one should be let go.  if not, we're looking at Groundhog Day after Jackson and Billings are hopefully re-signed.

Green is a free agent. So he doesn't count.

Dalton is under contract next season...but there isn't dead money to get out of the contract.

The big free agents are:
Green
Dennard
Hopkins
Eifert
Vigil
Billings
Fej
Brandon Wilson (RFA)

Sportrac estimates Green's contract at $16.7 million a year.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 12:18 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Green is a free agent. So he doesn't count.

Dalton is under contract next season...but there isn't dead money to get out of the contract.

The big free agents are:
Green
Dennard
Hopkins
Eifert
Vigil
Billings
Fej
Brandon Wilson (RFA)

Sportrac estimates Green's contract at $16.7 million a year.

Sheesh,

there goes all that money to play with. I'd keep Green, Dennard, Hopkins, Billings, Fej and Wilson. I'm tempted to say Eifert but he seems completely misused in whatever ZT runs. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Green is obviously the top player on that list but I would trade him before the deadline.
Funny that the undrafted center would be the only guy on that list that I would really Be upset with not re-signing. There’s already enough problems with this o line and he has been pretty decent this year.
Some of the others like Billings have been OK but are they really going to be any worse without the other guys on the list?
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 10:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So we had around $50 million cap space in the offseason. We supposedly have around $14 million now...so yes we could have signed a top tier LB had we not signed Preston Brown.

We're projected to have near $60 million cap space this offseason. IF we move Glenn, that's another $9.8 million. So nearly $70 million.

I read that the Dolphins are expected to have around $100 million cap space and have a bunch of picks.

IF we played our cards right and traded a few veterans for picks, we could be in a decent rebuild situation.

Even though trading AJ and Glenn seems like a no-brainer to get picks and to free up cap space, the Bengals have proven to be completely inept at free agency and their draft history has been questionable at best.  Perhaps Johan works out, but I still see 3 spots at OL alone, they need to address.

I have lost faith in management and coaching to turn this thing around even with all the cap space and picks.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 12:33 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Sheesh,

there goes all that money to play with. I'd keep Green, Dennard, Hopkins, Billings, Fej and Wilson. I'm tempted to say Eifert but he seems completely misused in whatever ZT runs. 

Having A LOT of free agents is generally how you get a lot of cap space in the NFL. Or having most of your team on rookie deals...but you have to nail drafts to do that.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 03:44 AM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Green is obviously the top player on that list but I would trade him before the deadline.
Funny that the undrafted center would be the only guy on that list that I would really Be upset with not re-signing. There’s already enough problems with this o line and he has been pretty decent this year.
Some of the others like Billings have been OK but are they really going to  be any worse without the other guys on the list?

Billings and Hopkins may get big contracts thrown at them from other teams. Time will tell. I'd like to keep both. Actually Hopkins is pretty critical to keep. IF we lose him, we likely need to upgrade 4 offensive line spots.

re: Green - We'll know soon if they consider this a rebuild. IF they do, you trade him and you have A LOT more cap space. If they keep him, they're likely looking at a few tweaks. Maybe no tweaks and hoping for health.
Reply/Quote
Green is not getting traded.... Dead Horse Dead Horse Dead Horse Dead Horse
Reply/Quote
Now everyone knows we have to keep 50 mil on hand for unforeseen injuries and to keep our own FA’s next year.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 11:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Green is not getting traded.... Dead Horse Dead Horse Dead Horse Dead Horse

Right! I would get excited about getting a first for Green but it’s not like we’ve been killing the draft lately. Is Green better than Price, Ross, CedO, Dennard, Eifert, DreK, Gresh, ADre S. etc. what gives anyone the thought that we would get anyone that’s even in the same league as Green in value. Past draft pattens lean towards another bust.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 12:08 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Right! I would get excited about getting a first for Green but it’s not like we’ve been killing the draft lately. Is Green better than Price, Ross, CedO, Dennard, Eifert, DreK, Gresh, ADre S. etc. what gives anyone the thought that we would get anyone that’s even in the same league as Green in value. Past draft pattens lean towards another bust.

I want to trade Green because he’s 31 and this team is at least 3 great drafts away form being competitive. If we don’t trade Green I’m assuming we sign or franchise him next season. My biggest fear is Green walking next year and getting nothing for him that would be a disaster.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 01:01 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I want to trade Green because he’s 31 and this team is at least 3 great drafts away form being competitive. If we don’t trade Green I’m assuming we sign or franchise him next season. My biggest fear is Green walking next year and getting nothing for him that would be a disaster.

Right. Not trading him means you extend him, but if you can't...you have to tag him. That's a big cap hit.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 10:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So we had around $50 million cap space in the offseason. We supposedly have around $14 million now...so yes we could have signed a top tier LB had we not signed Preston Brown.

Which 2020 free agents would you both want to have here and would want to come here right now?

I think this will need to be a 2 year rebuild. Year one build through the draft and show ambitious free agents that they might be able to win in Cincinnati. Then splurge on free agents in Year 2.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:57 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Which 2020 free agents would you both want to have here and would want to come here right now?

I think this will need to be a 2 year rebuild. Year one build through the draft and show ambitious free agents that they might be able to win in Cincinnati. Then splurge on free agents in Year 2.

I feel like this is going to take more than 2 years.

Plus, guys like Green, Atkins, and Dunlap are 30/31.

As for free agents? Well, I could look at the top guys...but they won't come and we won't want to pay them...so:

I think Littleton is the dream FA LB, but the Rams likely keep him. There aren't a lot of guys that would be upgrades this year. Could go with a Danny Trevatheon...but he'd cost a ton and I doubt he played great here.

A guy like Jon Bostic would cost a reasonable price. Maybe the option we'd have to go with that would come here. Not that he's a good or even average option. He'd be someone the Bengals would target.

AT OLB, the Bengals will target a guy like Bud Dupree who is sort of a bust but was a high pick. Shaq Thompson is a premier guy. I doubt they'd pay him.

Then, I'd look at a Guard like Quentin Spain. He's a Bill so they love to sign ex-Bills.

I'd look at a Safety like Ha-Ha Cliton-Dix. IF the Bengals want to play Nickle with 2 LB's...they need to use Williams as the 3rd LB/DB role.
Reply/Quote
Going to take more than 2 years? LOL. 31 and counting so yes it will take more than 2 , it will take at least until Mikey dies plus 2 years
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Don't worry...I'm sure good free agents will choose us over the other dozen teams with a lot of cap space.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote