Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holiday read: Clayton Fejedelem's odd road to NFL
One of the more interesting stories on the team this year. Seventh round pick Clayton Fejedelem went from a zero star high school recruit to an NAIA All-American to a Division I walk-on to the NFL five years. It's a heck of a path.
Here's the link - thanks for any reads/shares!

I do know an immediate question is can he make the team? He's the fourth true safety behind Iloka/Williams/Smith with Shaw getting time there as well (I'm not counting Mays yet since he's suspended for the first four days). He's a special teams guy first on this current roster, but he's got some athleticism. The back end of the roster will be the most interesting part of camp (i.e. how many wideouts, how many d-linemen, etc.)
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
We'll see how high this guy's ceiling might be. If he can help keep one of our young CBs off the field on STs, that decreases their likelihood of injury. I doubt he's a real threat to compete of playing time outside of STs, but he's made a living out of proving people wrong. We'll see.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He's definitely a good story, one worth following. I'm pulling for him, but it will be tough for him to displace anyone that was on the roster last season. I'd say a good candidate for the PS, because you never know when an injury might happen.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2016, 06:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He's definitely a good story, one worth following.  I'm pulling for him, but it will be tough for him to displace anyone that was on the roster last season.  I'd say a good candidate for the PS, because you never know when an injury might happen.

He is a big Safety, but i truly believe the Safety to watch if Shawn fails or Iloka gets injured... again is Derron Smith.
Reply/Quote
I watched a lot of Illini games....Don't ask why, but there are often a lot of players that are on defenses that might have a poor defensive line (like Illinois) and are asked to cover longer, or make a lot of tackles in space. Fej (as I call him) was all over the place. If a play was not made at the LOS, Fej was in on the tackle or defending the pass. He has great instincts that go with his outstanding athleticism.

I'm not calling for the guy to replace Iloka, but I do believe he can be groomed to be an eventual starter, and will contribute right away on special teams.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 11:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I watched a lot of Illini games....Don't ask why, but there are often a lot of players that are on defenses that might have a poor defensive line (like Illinois) and are asked to cover longer, or make a lot of tackles in space.  Fej (as I call him) was all over the place.  If a play was not made at the LOS, Fej was in on the tackle or defending the pass.  He has great instincts that go with his outstanding athleticism.  

I'm not calling for the guy to replace Iloka, but I do believe he can be groomed to be an eventual starter, and will contribute right away on special teams.

Thanks for this SHRacer. I need more info on Fej.

Haslett said he was Illinois best player, better than the 2nd rounder Jihad Ward.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2016, 06:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He is a big Safety, but i truly believe the Safety to watch if Shawn fails or Iloka gets injured... again is Derron Smith.

That is why I think Fej' best shot is to make the PS.  However, if someone gets injured, he may be valuable on STs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 01:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is why I think Fej' best shot is to make the PS.  However, if someone gets injured, he may be valuable on STs.

Yeah, we are pretty loaded at Safety.
Reply/Quote
Solid ST contributor. If someone goes down, a decent insurance player. He's proven naysayers wrong his entire career. I wouldn't be surprised seeing him on the 53 over the next few years.

Reply/Quote
should make the 53 this year just on Special teams ability... Might lose that spot when Mays comes off suspension
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2016, 10:35 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: should make the 53 this year just on Special teams ability...  Might lose that spot when Mays comes off suspension

Eh, i only think that would happen if an injury occurs to one of our ST'ers.

The Mays signing was only for insurance IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2016, 12:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, i only think that would happen if an injury occurs to one of our ST'ers.

The Mays signing was only for insurance IMHO.

He has a month I wouldn't let his 7th round status disclude him from the roster... But he will have to knock someone off it.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2016, 01:09 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: He has a month I wouldn't let his 7th round status disclude him from the roster... But he will have to knock someone off it.

True.
Reply/Quote
Definitely a great read. I like Fejedelem, but I don't know if he makes the 53. If the teams feels like Shaw's best spot is CB/S, then I imagine us rolling with Iloka, Williams, Shaw, and Smith as our safeties. Fej would most likey start off on the PS. However, injuries happen so he might be able to get some ST play early on.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2016, 03:57 PM)jowczarski Wrote: One of the more interesting stories on the team this year. Seventh round pick Clayton Fejedelem went from a zero star high school recruit to an NAIA All-American to a Division I walk-on to the NFL five years. It's a heck of a path.
Here's the link - thanks for any reads/shares!

I do know an immediate question is can he make the team? He's the fourth true safety behind Iloka/Williams/Smith with Shaw getting time there as well (I'm not counting Mays yet since he's suspended for the first four days). He's a special teams guy first on this current roster, but he's got some athleticism. The back end of the roster will be the most interesting part of camp (i.e. how many wideouts, how many d-linemen, etc.)

I watched the game of him vs Purdue. He shys away from contact at times can't be like that as a safety. Goes high to much. And he does not break down well..just my two cent he is not worthy of a spot this year.
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
Derron Smith doesn't shy away from contact and is a crazy ballhawk with the hands of a receiver.

I believe he could definately be our Preseason star this year.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2016, 11:46 PM)CincyProduct Wrote: I watched the game of him vs Purdue. He shys away from contact at times can't be like that as a safety. Goes high to much. And he does not break down well..just my two cent he is not worthy of a spot this year.

so you base all that off one game?
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2016, 10:35 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: should make the 53 this year just on Special teams ability...  Might lose that spot when Mays comes off suspension

Does Mays even stick to the roster?  I'm not sure at this point.  I view him as a low risk insurance policy for the hybrid LB spot, but don't think he has shown enough to warrant a roster spot, despite numerous chances.  

You have a good point about Fej making the spot as a special teamer, though.  And as much as I love Peerman, he might have trouble sticking in that case.
Reply/Quote
The CBs would be: Dre, Adam Jones, Dennard, WJIII, and ? Lewis-Harris? They will need 5, and I would imagine the 5th spot could be Shaw as the Hybrid.

That would allow for safeties of Iloka, WIlliams, D. Smith, and Fej.

I'm really hoping D. Smith is ready, because we haven't had a season where one of the safeties doesn't miss at least a few games. That being said, CB spot is brimming with talent and Shaw is a very capable guy at either spot. I am really excited to see what he does this year.
Reply/Quote