Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh joy..reinstalling an OS
So I'll have to reset everything, lose a ton of stuff and start over from scratch...again. 
I had Ubuntu studio working pretty good until it began freezing up every few minutes  with no apparent readily fixable issues. Once upon a time these were simple things to me, but father time erased my internal memory for such things. 
So now I'm going with OpenSUSE microOS with supposedly a lot less clutter and fewer things to go wrong not to mention I found almost zero use for all those gizmos under the studio version of Ubuntu..
Just a plain, simple browser and a few other odds and ends will suffice for my old age.. I guess my phone will have to be my username and password backup dohicky..  One of these days I might even remember how to reformat and erase the hd, but for now I'll have to live with some of the old junk left behind on the drive..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
pfffff. gramps is talking linux distros again... shut up, wipe it and rebuild.

you're way ahead of your age grade. you'll be fine.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 12:13 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: pfffff.  gramps is talking linux distros again...  shut up, wipe it and rebuild.

you're way ahead of your age grade.  you'll be fine.

Once upon a time I had a whole shed full of computers and associated junk for rebuild and was pretty good at it, but man...the old memory cells ain't what they used to be. 
I've given up completely on wireless keyboards and mice. I have about 6 nonworking wireless mice sitting on my desk and about 4 wireless keyboards sitting around somewhere so I'm using a 35 year old old fashioned mouse that works just fine. Ok, maybe it's 10 years old, but it works still. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Hmmm.. Shoulda used debian from the start. It'll overright any and all old junk the first time around without leaving traces of old OS's to screw things up. There's still traces, but you'd have to be a cyber pathologist to find them..  ThumbsUp
Screw those" live" versions.. I've used debian before and never had any problems at all. It's kind of clunky and looks like an OS from the 90s, but it works every time.. Reliable beats pretty 100 out of 100 times with operating systems.. 

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 12:45 PM)grampahol Wrote: Once upon a time I had a whole shed full of computers and associated junk for rebuild and was pretty good at it, but man...the old memory cells ain't what they used to be. 
I've given up completely on wireless keyboards and mice. I have about 6 nonworking wireless mice sitting on my desk and about 4 wireless keyboards sitting around somewhere so I'm using a 35 year old old fashioned mouse that works just fine. Ok, maybe it's 10 years old, but it works still. 

Logitech wireless crap has so much bloatware these days (windows / macOS) that it defeats the better features of its products.  I just use them w/out the additional background apps whatsoever. 

Amusingly, I've been getting back into ubuntu after a 10+ yer hiatus while standing up a home entertainment network.  I've been so far pleased with how well a cheap logitech wireless keyboard / trackpad combo has worked.  Input devices are about as basic as it gets.  

(01-27-2020, 02:24 PM)grampahol Wrote: Hmmm.. Shoulda used debian from the start. It'll overright any and all old junk the first time around without leaving traces of old OS's to screw things up. There's still traces, but you'd have to be a cyber pathologist to find them..  ThumbsUp
Screw those" live" versions.. I've used debian before and never had any problems at all. It's kind of clunky and looks like an OS from the 90s, but it works every time.. Reliable beats pretty 100 out of 100 times with operating systems.. 

Its the bells and whistles that make the bike unroadworthy these days.

Get back to jamming F4 old man.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 04:29 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Logitech wireless crap has so much bloatware these days (windows / macOS) that it defeats the better features of its products.  I just use them w/out the additional background apps whatsoever. 

Amusingly, I've been getting back into ubuntu after a 10+ yer hiatus while standing up a home entertainment network.  I've been so far pleased with how well a cheap logitech wireless keyboard / trackpad combo has worked.  Input devices are about as basic as it gets.  

Its the bells and whistles that make the bike unroadworthy these days.

Get back to jamming F4 old man.

I went with the least loaded amount from debian I could manage. I'd prefer a lot less stuff in it, but the installation fixed my problems. I'm kind of getting to the point I'm leaning towards a minimalist installation with just the essentials I need for everyday tasks, email, file management, browser, maybe a decent text editor and a burner.. The rest of the junk I rarely if ever use. The only reason i ever used wireless stuff is to not have to deal with wires wrapped around everything, but that's been an issue I've had to deal with all my life. There are worse thing I've had to deal with in my 60+ years on this planet than to many wires. Wink

Reply/Quote