Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homage to Bengals Worst Draft Pick of All-Time - A Chain-Smoking TE
In the 3rd Round of the 2001 draft the Bengals drafted Sean Brewer a TE. Some people thought he'd go undrafted.

Highlights:
-Brewer himself was stunned to go in the 3rd Round.
-NFL.com stated that Brewer was a 'poorly conditioned' athlete with poor eating and training habits.
-The Bengals.com people had trouble finding things to post about Brewer on the website, so they posted anything they could find. Their write-up said: Brewer "has a tough-guy attitude that has gotten him into confrontations with the coaching staff in the past."
-He was also called a "spoiled kid" with a "gangsta mentality" who has to give up his pack-a-day cigarette habits.
-In reality, after being drafted by the Bengals...it was discovered that he had a 3-pack a day cigarette addiction.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/05/07/remember-bengals-chain-smoking-tight-end-sean-brewer/8803973/
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 03:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In the 3rd Round of the 2001 draft the Bengals drafted Sean Brewer a TE. Some people thought he'd go undrafted.

Highlights:
-Brewer himself was stunned to go in the 3rd Round.
-NFL.com stated that Brewer was a 'poorly conditioned' athlete with poor eating and training habits.
-The Bengals.com people had trouble finding things to post about Brewer on the website, so they posted anything they could find. Their write-up said: Brewer "has a tough-guy attitude that has gotten him into confrontations with the coaching staff in the past."
-He was also called a "spoiled kid" with a "gangsta mentality" who has to give up his pack-a-day cigarette habits.
-In reality, after being drafted by the Bengals...it was discovered that he had a 3-pack a day cigarette addiction.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/05/07/remember-bengals-chain-smoking-tight-end-sean-brewer/8803973/

Yeah, but Bill Walsh called and said that the Bengals made a hell of a pick and got a huge steal when they drafted him.
Reply/Quote
He's a strength and conditioning high school coach now lol
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 03:41 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yeah, but Bill Walsh called and said that the Bengals made a hell of a pick and got a huge steal when they drafted him.

How did Sean Brewer do for the Bengals?
Reply/Quote
smoke em, if you got em..........

:giggle:
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
[Image: fake-tweet20170919-10-vj3o0.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 04:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How did Sean Brewer do for the Bengals?

Terrible.  I just laughed my ass off when they said Walsh called and said that.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 04:25 PM)GodFather Wrote: [Image: fake-tweet20170919-10-vj3o0.jpg]

Former Chain-Smoking TE. In the Coslett mold.
Reply/Quote
sweet.  only if he brings in Kap as our new QB.  Can't wait for the future of this franchise!  I love the 90's!
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Oddly enough, the 2001 draft may have been the best in team history.

Justin Smith
Chad Johnson
Rudi Johnson
TJ Houshmandzadeh

Somehow a chain smoking TE got thrown in that awesomeness? Trust me, people were just as confused about Brewer then as they are now. The pick was universally panned. I think that's an example where a position coach got too much say.

Travis Dorsch was a dumb pick the following year. Was he a kicker? A punter? Answer: Both. He had the amazing ability to be crappy at both.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Meh, you can still be a great athlete and smoke. Remember, the NFL in the past was more smash-mouth than the finesse wussy game it is today. Burfict would have survived and probably 95% of the flags called now, would not be considered then. It was football damnit!

Reply/Quote
I remember many many years ago, seeing a training camp picture of Jack Lambert on the practice field, in full pads, sitting on his helmet smoking a cigarette. Caption just said something about him taking a break. things were a lot different back then.
Reply/Quote
He was just a multi-tasker.  Nothing wrong with that.

[Image: beer-drink-smoke-funny-gif-animated.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
He went to my old highschool in Riverside Poly. Even people there were shocked he got drafted since he wasnt all that in highschool. Same highschool as Reggie Miller who actually had skill
Reply/Quote
Hmmm......Sean "Sewer" Brewer versus Akili Smith for worst draft pick.....
Reply/Quote
The worst draft pick is our current LT
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
Great thread. Curious to see where this goes
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 03:40 AM)Joelist Wrote: Hmmm......Sean "Sewer" Brewer versus Akili Smith for worst draft pick.....

So Akili Smith was an epic bust. No disputing that. But he was projected to be a 1st Round pick.

Brewer was projected to be undrafted and they took him in the 3rd Round.

I guess it all depends on perspective. They were both terrible picks.

I think the funniest thing on Brewer is the Bengals PR staff was so surprised they drafted him that they scrambled for material and forgot to edit out all the bad stuff. Yes...the team website published a profile for him that called him a 'gangsta'.
Reply/Quote
3 packs a day and still a healthier TE than Eifert...
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 09:47 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So Akili Smith was an epic bust. No disputing that. But he was projected to be a 1st Round pick.

Brewer was projected to be undrafted and they took him in the 3rd Round.

I guess it all depends on perspective. They were both terrible picks.

I think the funniest thing on Brewer is the Bengals PR staff was so surprised they drafted him that they scrambled for material and forgot to edit out all the bad stuff. Yes...the team website published a profile for him that called him a 'gangsta'.

You also have to consider the bounty of picks we turned down to take Akili.

But I agree, Brewer vs Akili is almost apples to oranges. Brewer was probably the dumbest pick without hindsight.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote