Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Field Advantage
I am really hoping for this COVID thing to pass by the fall and have football ready to go but if not what about some ideas for empty stadiums. I bring this up because I saw a news blip today about South Korea baseball. They had a zoom meeting with over 300 fans piped in through the big screen in center field during the game.

What about piping in sound for the home team through people's front rooms. Have Zoom do a conference, have a set amount of people that can enter and XX amount of decibels that can be piped into the stadium. Each team would get the same advantage from their home crowd. Just an idea...Any others out there?

Of course a 7 second delay may be needed as I cuss a lot at our beloved Bengals...LOL
Reply/Quote
I think no noise is a huge advantage for a rookie QB. So, I vote dead silence so Burrow can't be rattled by a hostile crowd like we have at home when we play the Steelers and the Browns and the 8 away games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure how it's going to be done, but sports without fans is pretty unwatchable IMO. Maybe they start adding fans as the season goes along, I doubt we see any packed though.
I tried to watch that Korean Baseball Organization, friends and I picked a team to be behind, I chose the Kia Tigers... Baseball is slow to begin with, without fans it was pretty bad.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 12:14 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm not sure how it's going to be done, but sports without fans is pretty unwatchable IMO. Maybe they start adding fans as the season goes along, I doubt we see any packed though.
I tried to watch that Korean Baseball Organization, friends and I picked a team to be behind, I chose the Kia Tigers... Baseball is slow to begin with, without fans it was pretty bad.

It'll be weird without fans to be sure, but I'm not sure I'd assume the NFL will be unwatchable without fans because you didn't like fan-less Korean baseball.  Similarly, international soccer has huge crowds of maniacal fans and lots of Americans think the whole thing is boring as hell.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 12:14 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm not sure how it's going to be done, but sports without fans is pretty unwatchable IMO. Maybe they start adding fans as the season goes along, I doubt we see any packed though.

Especiall in SE Asia, the baseball fans there take a crap on literally any other sporting fan group on the planet, save for maybe Aussie Rules Football.

When every single fan in the stadium chants/sings a song for a player who has been with the team for 3 days and there is a constant buzz in the stadium, there's nothing like it.

(05-14-2020, 12:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It'll be weird without fans to be sure, but I'm not sure I'd assume the NFL will be unwatchable without fans because you didn't like fan-less Korean baseball.  Similarly, international soccer has huge crowds of maniacal fans and lots of Americans think the whole thing is boring as hell.

It IS boring as hell and bloody stupid... and I'm even Italian!

I'd much rather watch baseball, with shit-tons of strategy and the intracacies of every pitch, having an effect on the outcome of the at-bat... chess in sport form.

Football without fans may actually be a good thing, especially on the road.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 03:40 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: It IS boring as hell and bloody stupid... and I'm even Italian!

Come on pizano, the 2006 world cup was awesome!
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 03:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Come on pizano, the 2006 world cup was awesome!

I definitely told this story on the mothership before, but not sure here.

That morning, there's buzz everywhere (Maple, Ontario is {still is, even though a ton of Russians and Indian-ethnic people have moved into the area} predominantly Italian) and I'm dreading the next day of (summer) school, if Italy wins.

At around 12:30, I ask my sister to drive me to my grandmother's, about 5 minutes away. She obliges and I set down to watch the Jays pound the Royals, my idol, Eric Hinske goes 2 for 4 with a home run and Halladay pitched a great game.

Didn't watch a second of the final and don't regret it in the slightest Big Grin

Edit* Not to be a dick btw, but it's Paesano Wink

2nd Edit*** https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/KCA/KCA200607090.shtml Oooh yeah! Forgot Chad Mottola played that game! Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 04:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Edit* Not to be a dick btw, but it's Paesano Wink

I thought it was Pisano...or is that the wine?  ANyways, I'm too Amuricanized to spell it right.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 04:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I thought it was Pisano...or is that the wine?  ANyways, I'm too Amuricanized to spell it right.

LOL

Pisano is a last name Wink
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 11:40 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think no noise is a huge advantage for a rookie QB. So, I vote dead silence so Burrow can't be rattled by a hostile crowd like we have at home when we play the Steelers and the Browns and the 8 away games.

Browns ??? I had season tickets for 20 years and I can tell you the Browns fans are not the Steeler faithful at our place.. not even close.. they have their usual fans just like we do when we go t Cleveland but they don't have the following of the Steelers
Reply/Quote
I use the F word about 200 times a game. I would not be able to be in the zoom crowd.

Reply/Quote
Anyway they do it I will be fine with it, just have to have football no matter what.

I was leary about the Draft a bit but it was my favorite Draft of all time honestly, so who knows how this will go.

Happy either way, just want football man.
Reply/Quote
It'll be interesting. If they don't pump in crowd noise, I imagine we'll hear the hits and players talking. Though I'm sure there will be some delay to potentially filter out foul language.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote

The National Rugby League in Australia restarts in 10 days, they played one round without crowds and it looks likely we will be without crowds for the entire 2020 season. There goes the money I spent on my season tickets lol.

I found it interesting, you were able to hear the players talking to each other and making calls for plays. You could also really hear the hits and the contact between the players.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2020, 10:18 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: The National Rugby League in Australia restarts in 10 days, they played one round without crowds and it looks likely we will be without crowds for the entire 2020 season. There goes the money I spent on my season tickets lol.

I found it interesting, you were able to hear the players talking to each other and making calls for plays. You could also really hear the hits and the contact between the players.

Sorry to hear you lost money. Hopefully refundable? I don't think society realized until this pandemic how much they loved sports. Getting the games going again will be very therapeutic. 

Reply/Quote
I thought this thread would say the Bengals had no fans in the stadium last year so now they have the advantage. I agree sports without fans is like sleeping without a pillow. It works but creates a pain in the neck.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Latest I've heard is they are thinking about pumping in crowd noise and putting virtual fans in the stands.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2020, 10:34 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Sorry to hear you lost money. Hopefully refundable? I don't think society realized until this pandemic how much they loved sports. Getting the games going again will be very therapeutic. 

They have asked us to pledge our money to help get the teams through the loss of income, no option to get a refund on the money paid already, but don't have to pay future payments. I have a season ticket package that cost over $1000 for the season and won't get to attend any games this season.
Reply/Quote
If they do it like the XFL was, it would be actually pretty entertaining.

I know the XFL still had fans, but it was much smaller crowds then an NFL game, but with all the added things of hearing players and coaches it off-set the lowered volume from the crowds.

The NFL has an advantage over MLB and other major sports as they are in the off-season and have time to find ways to fill in the gaps from not having a crowd.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2020, 11:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Latest I've heard is they are thinking about pumping in crowd noise and putting virtual fans in the stands.

I think that might be worse than no sound from the crowd. Who wants a fake crowd?
Reply/Quote