Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Security
I was thinking about buying a wireless home security camera system for outdoors. Anybody have this and what do you have? Are you satisfied? Trying to find good deals but I'm not above paying top dollar (depending on our versions of top dollar LOL 

I hired some guys to grind my tree stumps. Unknowingly, the guy is a huge meth head and so are his friends. Days after they finished, my neighbor was almost robbed but the dog chased off the guy. Dude dropped a flashlight with his name on it. Well, since my neighbor is a cop, he knew who the guy was and it was one of the guys who worked on my tree's. So, since I have my improved, refurbished 2.5 car garage turned into a mancave, I want to protect it and my house. 

My house sits about 110ft north of my mancave. But I need enough wireless camera's to cover it all. 

Any suggestions other than buying a gun? Chances are, they will steal my shit without me even knowing it so the gun wont help much. Plus, they know my wife and my work schedule. Ugh!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good topic as security has become popular. I don't have any myself. Just keep my doors locked. My understanding is that security on windows and doors are rather easy and cheap. Motion detectors much the same. It's cameras where the real set up expense is, so I think you are on the right track.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 04:46 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Good topic as security has become popular.  I don't have any myself.  Just keep my doors locked.  My understanding is that security on windows and doors are rather easy and cheap.  Motion detectors much the same.  It's cameras where the real set up expense is, so I think you are on the right track.

Funny you say this. I spent over an hour today (it really hasn't been that good of a day) trying to fix the screen door. We had the deadbolt locked on it and when I went to unlock, I heard a snap and it just spun. UGH! Deadbolt was stuck engaged. Fanangled my way through it and fixed the damn thing but it was not a good start.

The cameras I was looking at were motion sensored so I think it would be cool. But I am so unsure about purchasing because my neighbor said they are not as high quality as wired. I just don't want to have to do all that stuff!

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 04:56 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Funny you say this. I spent over an hour today (it really hasn't been that good of a day) trying to fix the screen door. We had the deadbolt locked on it and when I went to unlock, I heard a snap and it just spun. UGH! Deadbolt was stuck engaged. Fanangled my way through it and fixed the damn thing but it was not a good start.

The cameras I was looking at were motion sensored so I think it would be cool. But I am so unsure about purchasing because my neighbor said they are not as high quality as wired. I just don't want to have to do all that stuff!

The Arlo line of wireless motion sensing cameras from Netgear do a great job.  You can have up to 5 getting 7 days of cloud storage for free.  More than 5 and you have to pay.  They also have two way sound, and can send notifications when they are triggered if you want them to.  What's nice is they can be integrated with Smartthings hubs to become a part of your smart home.  This allows you to set a schedule to have them activate and deactivate, or turn on and off with certain actions.  For example, my outdoor cameras remain active all the time, but the indoor cameras deactivate while I am inside and awake.  This way I am not being recorded during my regular activities around the house. 

If you are interested in those, ignore the original Arlo and go for the Arlo 2 Pro for outdoors and Arlo 2 Pro or the Arlo Q line for indoors.  They cost more, but they are 1080p instead of 720p, have a wider field of view, and a greater motion sensing distance.  Additionally, when they are plugged in instead of battery operated, each camera can have zones set to limit where the motion will trigger.  For instance, you could set it up so that motion is not triggered at the height a four-legged friend freely roams the house at, if you know what I mean...
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 04:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I was thinking about buying a wireless home security camera system for outdoors. Anybody have this and what do you have? Are you satisfied? Trying to find good deals but I'm not above paying top dollar (depending on our versions of top dollar LOL 

I hired some guys to grind my tree stumps. Unknowingly, the guy is a huge meth head and so are his friends. Days after they finished, my neighbor was almost robbed but the dog chased off the guy. Dude dropped a flashlight with his name on it. Well, since my neighbor is a cop, he knew who the guy was and it was one of the guys who worked on my tree's. So, since I have my improved, refurbished 2.5 car garage turned into a mancave, I want to protect it and my house. 

My house sits about 110ft north of my mancave. But I need enough wireless camera's to cover it all. 

Any suggestions other than buying a gun? Chances are, they will steal my shit without me even knowing it so the gun wont help much. Plus, they know my wife and my work schedule. Ugh!

Do you think a wireless home security system might better suit your needs?  Might not work so great for your garage that far away because the signal may not carry that far but would work well for the house itself.  Of course you could always put another one in the garage or combine it with cameras for the garage. 

It most likely won't cover the house and garage combined due to the distance between but I recently installed the Simplisafe system in my house.  It works well with wireless keypads, wireless sensors for the windows and doors, and wireless IR motion detectors. They also offer a glass break sensor but I figure between the sensors on windows and doors and the motion sensors I'm covered.   Also Ring, the company that makes those camera doorbells just released a similar system that might be worth looking into.  Best thing is they both don't have monitoring contracts.  So you are not locked into a few years contract like ADT or similar.

But if it is just the garage you are most concerned about maybe you could just install it there. Simplisafe works on wifi and backup cell signal so maybe it would work if you get a wifi signal in the garage. I know one thing the alarm is super loud because when I first installed mine I set it off a few times before I learned to disarm before opening a door in the morning. :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I wonder if something as simple as this could be a deterrent, at least short term. Then eventually get security of some kind put in.

edit: on the site I linked few posts below, it says to not use a specific sign like below as a deterrent but a generic one instead.

With stickers they are 35.99 on Amazon for the pair.

[Image: 51NOm29aCmL.jpg]

https://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Reflective-Security-Refective-Stickers/dp/B01BLLB5IW/ref=asc_df_B01BLLB5IW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=179364768625&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=657332951006734279&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015676&hvtargid=pla-373064962317&psc=1
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Start with motion sensor lights. Most burglars prefer not to be seen.

Sent from my N9517 using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
Just put up a few cameras where everyone can see them. They don't have to work or be hooked into anything. They will still work just as good as a deterrent.
Reply/Quote
We have a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum Plus revolver. Holds 7 rounds, and is located in the nightstand drawer right next to me. Loaded with soft tip hollow points home defense rounds. Be quiet if you break into my house at night.

[Image: SW686-TargetChampion-1.jpg]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 12:53 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: We have a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum Plus revolver.  Holds 7 rounds, and is located in the nightstand drawer right next to me.  Loaded with soft tip hollow points home defense rounds.  Be quiet if you break into my house at night.

[Image: SW686-TargetChampion-1.jpg]

An overwhelming majority of home burglaries occur when no one is at home.  Burglars do not want to go into houses when people are there.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 01:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: An overwhelming majority of home burglaries occur when no one is at home.  Burglars do not want to go into houses when people are there.

Well, just in case.  Maybe we ought to buy some ADT signs.  But I know I sleep better at night.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 02:05 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Well, just in case.  Maybe we ought to buy some ADT signs.  But I know I sleep better at night.

You still have to be prepared for a burglary when you are home.  No problem with that.

But a gun is rarely going to protect your home from burglary..
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 02:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You still have to be prepared for a burglary when you are home.  No problem with that.

But a gun is rarely going to protect your home from burglary..

You're right.  I need to do something for security when we're not home.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 03:25 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: You're right.  I need to do something for security when we're not home.

Most burglaries occur during the day too, when people are at work. And most burglars will avoid homes that have a security system, especially a professional system that can alert cops if breached.

Here is a link to safety.com that has 8 deterrents to consider, and 5 to avoid, one of which was what I posted above LOL
https://www.safety.com/8-burglar-deterrents-to-consider-and-5-to-avoid/
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote