Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homer Bailey
When do the Reds pull the plug on Homer Bailey ? Can the Reds deal him ? The guy just isn't going to come back not that he was all that when he got his big contract ! The Reds have got to start getting rid of the dead wood and rebuild.

Bailey has an ERA of 6.11 and that will rise after giving up 4 more runs in 5+ innings tonight. I forget the exact number but he has like 17 wins in the last 4+ seasons.

Get rid of him and eat the loss it's time !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 10:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: When do the Reds pull the plug on Homer Bailey ? Can the Reds deal him ? The guy just isn't going to come back not that he was all that when he got his big contract ! The Reds have got to start getting rid of the dead wood and rebuild.

Bailey has an ERA of 6.11 and that will rise after giving up 4 more runs in 5+ innings tonight. I forget the exact number but he like 17 wins in the last 4+ seasons.

Get rid of him and eat the loss it's time !

Meanwhile, Cueto is 3-0 with an era of 0.84 for the Giants...

Whoops!  I guess they made the wrong choice on that one.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 10:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meanwhile, Cueto is 3-0 with an era of 0.84 for the Giants...

Whoops!  I guess they made the wrong choice on that one.  

Sad !

The Reds have got to quit waiting for something to happen and start making it happen.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 10:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Sad !

The Reds have got to quit waiting for something to happen and start making it happen.

Yeah, I don't get the ownership's thought process.  If you were going to pick one pitcher to keep for your rebuilding effort, why not keep the good one?  Then you at least have an ace to rely on.  

Homer freakin' Bailey hasn't done squat.  Yeah yeah, I know he's a "farm grown" "talent", and that he had one freak no-hitter, way back whenever..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I would say we are stuck with him thru next year. Then in 2020 we will exercise a buyout. Nobody is going to take that contract off our hands.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/cincinnati-reds/homer-bailey-200/
Reply/Quote
The only way they could possibly deal him is if they offer to pay his full contract, or at least 90% of it. He isn't worth even half of the money he's making at this point and no one will part with anything of value for him even if it were to cost them zero dollars.

I think once Desclafani comes off the DL later this week or next week, he'll take Homer's rotation spot and maybe Homer will....go to the bullpen? Who the **** knows. Or maybe you can DFA him and see what happens.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 09:18 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The only way they could possibly deal him is if they offer to pay his full contract, or at least 90% of it. He isn't worth even half of the money he's making at this point and no one will part with anything of value for him even if it were to cost them zero dollars.

I think once Desclafani comes off the DL later this week or next week, he'll take Homer's rotation spot and maybe Homer will....go to the bullpen? Who the **** knows. Or maybe you can DFA him and see what happens.

I don't pretend to know the answer. But I do know they've got to admit defeat soon and get him the hell out of the starting pitcher lineup !

They finally threw in the towel on Finnegan now they need to throw in a giant beach blanket on Bailey.
Reply/Quote
Homer had arm trouble right after he signed the big contract. The Reds got hosed plain and simple.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Had he not gotten hurt the contract might have panned out, but he did and it didn't. Let's just hope they don't make such mistakes again.
He's not the first player to sign a big contract and get hurt then go down the tubes.. He won't be the last either. 

Several other bad contracts.. We are not alone..
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2700091-mlb-metrics-101-exposing-the-worst-contracts-of-baseball
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Looks like the team is finally catching up with the fans. Bailey heading to the bullpen. Better be replacing him with Garett.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/is-homer-bailey-headed-to-reds-bullpen/c-278865030
Reply/Quote
I bash a lot of people for exaggeration, but Homer Bailey is probably the worst starting pitcher in the majors. He currently leads the national league in runs allowed and home runs allowed. Over the last 4 years he is 9-20 with a 6.49 ERA. He has not had an ERA under 6 since 2015. This is not just a slump. He is finished.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 10:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Homer freakin' Bailey hasn't done squat.  Yeah yeah, I know he's a "farm grown" "talent", and that he had one freak no-hitter, way back whenever..

At the time he signed the contract he was good for 200 innings and an ERA in the mid three's.  Pitchers like that are worth a lot of money.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: At the time he signed the contract he was good for 200 innings and an ERA in the mid three's.  Pitchers like that are worth a lot of money.

I understand that.  As a fan, I was just venting a little frustration.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Cincinnati needs to attract a crystal ball manufacturer and cut a deal for the best ones for the sports franchises. . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Homer just plaed on DL with inflamation in his knee.

Something more serious than that is wrong. He has not been effective in 4 years.

Then there was this quote

Friday, Bailey was asked if he could be an effective reliever. His answer: “Probably not.”
Reply/Quote
It's probably just best to put him on the permanent DL.
Free up his roster spot and he won't have to ruin anymore games.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2018, 11:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Homer just plaed on DL with inflamation in his knee.

Something more serious than that is wrong.  He has not been effective in 4 years.

Then there was this quote

Friday, Bailey was asked if he could be an effective reliever. His answer: “Probably not.”

The Reds owe him millions this year, like 26 million next year and 28 million the year after that ! or something close anyways. There's no way in hell anybody is going to take on even a 1/4 of that contract.

So what the hell can the Reds do but release him and eat it ? But there's no doubt he's not coming back to 2013 form.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2018, 01:01 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Reds owe him millions this year, like 26 million next year and 28 million the year after that ! or something close anyways. There's no way in hell anybody is going to take on even a 1/4 of that contract.

So what the hell can the Reds do but release him and eat it ? But there's no doubt he's not coming back to 2013 form.

Maybe they could just add him to the grounds crew for the next couple years?  Then they would at least get something for their money.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2018, 03:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe they could just add him to the grounds crew for the next couple years?  Then they would at least get something for their money.

I would have him sell beer at the stadium. His calling cold beer here will be the best "pitch" he ever had.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
RHP Homer Bailey (right knee inflammation) allowed five runs on six hits in three innings in a rehab start Sunday for Triple-A Louisville.
Reply/Quote