Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gameplan for Von
If you watched the Patriots vs Texans last night you saw what makes Belicheck one of the, if not the, best coaches ever. The patriots O line is not good, but they were able to give their third string QB a chance to make plays and their running game a chance to win the game.

How it relates to the Bengals is an observation about what they did on JJ Watt. If you watch they double teamed him every play, and at times triple teamed him. It is similar to the way they play defense, they put their #1 CB on your #2 WR then double your #1 with a CB and safety. They force teams to make the "other guys" beat you. Going in to Sunday I hope we employee the same strategy on Von, double and triple teaming him. I don't care if it is Von on Ced, or if they move him and it's Von on Whit, nobody should be one on one with him. If we lose make them beat us with someone else.

.......and it would help if our defense could stop the run, but that's a whole other thread.
Reply/Quote
We have to be able to run the ball - period ! That's the whole thing in a nutshell.

I heard this on the radio the other night, it might not be exact but it's close.

The Bengals are 0-4 when Dalton has 50+ pass attempts. We're 2-10-1 when Dalton has 40+ pass attempts. We have to keep Dalton's attempts in the 25-35 range or we'll lose this game and continue to lose all season if we keep him in the 40 attempts and above area.

We can't go on getting 40 yards a game from the RB's, Miller will have a field day if we can't run !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Simply put, you cannot just plan on double teaming Von on every play. All the other players on the Broncos defense are too good and Wade Phillips loves sending all sorts of players on blitzes - chances are if you double Von, a blitzer will have a free lane to Dalton. Even Belichick hasn't been able to neutralize him and he's the best at taking away your best player.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2016, 08:53 PM)Vottomatic19 Wrote: Simply put, you cannot just plan on double teaming Von on every play. All the other players on the Broncos defense are too good and Wade Phillips loves sending all sorts of players on blitzes - chances are if you double Von, a blitzer will have a free lane to Dalton. Even Belichick hasn't been able to neutralize him and he's the best at taking away your best player.

This never stops teams from double teaming Geno. Every single team, every single year, they double Geno. Why doesn't this team get a free blitzer every play as a result?
Why does this team always try to pull stuff like having Eric Winston 1v1 block JJ Watt? 
 The vanilla 1 v 1 type of stuff kills me, because the best teams really do double and triple team whoever they want to shut down. I remember the Pats doing this to Tony Gonzalez one game right before he retired. Other teams do it to Green all the time, and it works sometimes. I agree with the OP. Take him out of the game. Make him hate his life. Run at him and run him over. Break his will. Lose if you must, but don't lose to Von Miller.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2016, 06:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We have to be able to run the ball - period ! That's the whole thing in a nutshell.

I heard this on the radio the other night, it might not be exact but it's close.

The Bengals are 0-4 when Dalton has 50+ pass attempts. We're 2-10-1 when Dalton has 40+ pass attempts. We have to keep Dalton's attempts in the 25-35 range or we'll lose this game and continue to lose all season if we keep him in the 40 attempts and above area.

We can't go on getting 40 yards a game from the RB's, Miller will have a field day if we can't run !

RIGHT......except Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana and Peyton Manning rolled into one would still need a running game.......This is not brain surgery.....You run the ball 50 % of the time because if you don't the D will just play pass defense and kill your QB.....So far this season the Bengs under new OC Xampy are running the ball about 5 or 10 % of the time.   That means we are passing about 90 % of the time.  That only works in computer game football. It will not work in real football. .......YOU ARE RIGHT.....WE NEED A RUNNING GAME....and some power runs, not this fake pass delayed hand off garbage. Is The Statue Of Liberty Zampese's only running play ???
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2016, 10:21 PM)kevin Wrote: RIGHT......except Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana and Peyton Manning rolled into one would still need a running game.......This is not brain surgery.....You run the ball 50 % of the time because if you don't the D will just play pass defense and kill your QB.....So far this season the Bengs under new OC Xampy are running the ball about 5 or 10 % of the time.   That means we are passing about 90 % of the time.  That only works in computer game football. It will not work in real football. .......YOU ARE RIGHT.....WE NEED A RUNNING GAME....and some power runs, not this fake pass delayed hand off garbage. Is The Statue Of Liberty Zampese's only running play ???

YEP,

And when you can't run the ball you can't sustain a lot of drives. You kill your defense putting them back on the field way to quick and way to often. And normally you lose the field position battle putting your defense under even more duress.

One could go on and on but suffice is to say we gotta fix our running game at all costs !
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2016, 08:53 PM)Vottomatic19 Wrote: Simply put, you cannot just plan on double teaming Von on every play. All the other players on the Broncos defense are too good and Wade Phillips loves sending all sorts of players on blitzes - chances are if you double Von, a blitzer will have a free lane to Dalton. Even Belichick hasn't been able to neutralize him and he's the best at taking away your best player.

Damn it! use Hewitt to help keep Dalton clean.
Reply/Quote

Maybe you missed the game. They literally did it to JJ watt who is as good if not better than Von Miller. While the rest of Denvers defense may be better than Houstons, with Ware out they don't have a trance sent pass rusher besides Von.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2016, 06:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We have to be able to run the ball - period ! That's the whole thing in a nutshell.

I wonder if Marv knows those stats.

We need to run right at Miller and keep running right at him. That's an excellent way to negate a pass rusher, make him defend the run and get him back on his heals.

Of course, our OL will need to block and not miss their assignments to make this work. I guess there's always a first time for anything.

Reply/Quote

0-3 on 50+ attempts
4-8-1 on 40+ attempts

I did a breakdown a couple years ago, and you're right, his best performance is when he throws between 30-35 times a game, statistically. Didn't break it down by wins.

EDIT: Weird splits, but anyway...

19 or < = 3-1
20-29 = 20-5
30-35 = 17-5
36-39 = 7-5
40-49 = 4-8-1
50+ = 0-3

51-27-1

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote