Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Honestly excited about next year
Now that I think about it I am actually looking forward to next season, especially since we will more than likely have a top 10 draft pick. Imagine what we could look like next season with Billings and Geno and hopefully Jackson can start next season too. Him and Kirkpatrick could make a great duo. If we bring Pacman back maybe we could move him to the slot or a safety position since he is getting older.
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 10:15 AM)Trademark Wrote: Now that I think about it I am actually looking forward to next season, especially since we will more than likely have a top 10 draft pick. Imagine what we could look like next season with Billings and Geno and hopefully Jackson can start next season too. Him and Kirkpatrick could make a great duo. If we bring Pacman back maybe we could move him to the slot or a safety position since he is getting older.

Adam jones signed a 3 year contract, so he will be back.

But i agree... I think this was just a bad year- starting with injuries in training camp.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
All Marvins teams look the same. Undisciplined, outcoached, can't win against teams with winning records, can't win primetime games, can't win big games. Why would next season be any different if he's still he coach? I won't be excited unless changes are made. Fool me once shame on you, fool me 14 times and someone put me out of my misery....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 10:29 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Adam jones signed a 3 year contract, so he will be back.

But i agree... I think this was just a bad year- starting with injuries in training camp.

Jones will retire a Bengal.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 10:31 AM)jj22 Wrote: All Marvins teams look the same. Undisciplined, outcoached, can't win against teams with winning records, can't win primetime games, can't win big games. Why would next season be any different if he's still he coach? I won't be excited unless changes are made. Fool me once shame on you, fool me 14 times and someone put me out of my misery....

Yup....as long as Mediocre Marv and Piano Man are still here, expect more of the same.  I couldn't care any less....unless we get a couple big name FAs....PPPPPPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO ....or draft someone I REALLY want to see play, I'm pretty much MEH on next season too.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 10:15 AM)Trademark Wrote: Now that I think about it I am actually looking forward to next season, especially since we will more than likely have a top 10 draft pick. Imagine what we could look like next season with Billings and Geno and hopefully Jackson can start next season too. Him and Kirkpatrick could make a great duo. If we bring Pacman back maybe we could move him to the slot or a safety position since he is getting older.

and the head games convincing yourself its going to different next year with Marvin Lewis will be different has begun...

Pssssst- Guess what? It won't, but thats ok cause its all you know.
Reply/Quote
Next year should be better if we stay healthy through these last couple of games, training camp, etc. I'm really looking forward to seeing what we have in Jackson and Billings. Nugent is finally gone so that should result in a couple of more wins (provided his long term replacement isn't just as bad). If Ced can improve, great. If not, I don't care how big of a b***r Paul Alexander has for him, he need to stay on the bench (or even be cut). This team is talented enough to make the playoffs regardless of Marvin's incompetence... As long as the right players are out there, anyway.
Reply/Quote

I can see there are others who feel more as I do. I don't see much changing next year.

We're set to lose some more free agents again this off season. Zeitler, Whitworth, Kirkpatrick, LaFell, Peko and Dansby are all starters with expiring contracts.

The handling of the offensive line has been the most baffling all year and there seems to be some sort of man love going on with Ogbuehi that I just don't understand at all. The talk of him taking over at LT when he completely failed at RT makes no sense.

Zeitler is a guard and Mikey Brown has never paid a guard top dollar, so we should not be surprised to see Zeitler depart. His potential replacement is Westerman who has played for exactly 0 (zero) snaps.

Who knows what the front office will actually do. They could make a push to keep Kirkpatrick or they could just low ball him and he'll have plenty of suitors if the Bengals don't re-sign him. So then we'd be looking at Dennard taking the #2 spot unless Willie Jackson beats him out.

Dansby and Peko are probably the easiest to replace.

So, with all that, the thing that concerns me most is the OL. They are coming off their worst year in a long time and it could get worse if we don't re-sign Whit and Zeitler, and I expect one of them to be gone. If we have to go with Ogbuehi at LT, then I think the offense will be sunk before we even get to the gate.

Lastly and certainly not leastly, the coaching won't change at all. Nothing will change with the coaching methodology, lack of discipline, game planning or in-game adjustments. And we can count on the exact same uninspired leadership.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 10:40 AM)GodFather Wrote: and the head games convincing yourself its going to different next year with Marvin Lewis will be different has begun...

Pssssst- Guess what? It won't, but thats ok cause its all you know.

correct
Reply/Quote
The problem with the team hasn't been talent for the past couple of years. The problems are with scheme, discipline, and game management.

While talent can mask poor coaching, it's a lot easier for poor coaching to have a talented roster underachieve.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 10:31 AM)jj22 Wrote: All Marvins teams look the same. Undisciplined, outcoached, can't win against teams with winning records, can't win primetime games, can't win big games. Why would next season be any different if he's still he coach? I won't be excited unless changes are made. Fool me once shame on you, fool me 14 times and someone put me out of my misery....

Exactly !

Though I admire these guys for holding on to hope, I just can't.

If Marvin comes back, and it's probably 99% he will. I just can't stay invested. I'm not quitting on the Bengals, I'm not signing up for another wash, rinse, repeat season because :

They'll fire a couple assistant coaches, MB will do his usual bargain basement FA. Oh they may get a 2nd level coming off ACL 30 year old season away from has been and two flamed out former 1st round draft picks. Hobspin will tout them as the 2nd coming of Reggie White, Anthony Munoz, and Jerry Rice. They'll contribute little.

OggieBoggie will start at LT, Dalton will be in traction by week 6.

We'll get swept by Pittsburgh again but go 9-7 with a softer schedule and the suckers will be going nuts because we backed into the playoffs. We'll get bounced in the wildcard game scoring zero points in the 2nd half with Marv's prevent offense.

NO THANKS 

If Marvin is HC again I'll find other stuff to do on Sundays - I've had enough.
Reply/Quote
It's hard to get excited about being also-rans yet again, but save me some of those seeds and I'll try some of that stuff! Now, a new staff with a coach (especially a coordinator I've actually heard of) could get me excited. Other than that, there is nothing to be excited about with more of the same.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 11:44 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly !

If Marvin comes back, and it's probably 99% he will. I just can't stay invested. I'm not quitting on the Bengals, I'm not signing up for another wash, rinse, repeat season because :

They'll fire a couple assistant coaches, MB will do his usual bargain basement FA. Oh they may get a 2nd level coming off ACL 30 year old season away from has been and two flamed out former 1st round draft picks. Hobspin will tout them as the 2nd coming of Reggie White, Anthony Munoz, and Jerry Rice. They'll contribute little.

We'll get swept by Pittsburgh again but go 9-7 with a softer schedule and the suckers will be going nuts because we backed into the playoffs. We'll get bounced in the wildcard game scoring zero points in the 2nd half with Marv's prevent offense.

NO THANKS 

Eh.... There isn't much better than NFL Sundays.  I'll be a fan regardless, maybe I'm a sucker for disappointment. 

Try fantasy football (if you don't already) it takes away some of the butt hurt the bengals tend to give fans.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 11:48 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Eh.... There isn't much better than NFL Sundays.  I'll be a fan regardless, maybe I'm a sucker for disappointment. 

Try fantasy football (if you don't already) it takes away some of the butt hurt the bengals tend to give fans.

Yes, fantasy football helps....but don't draft any Bengal players!
Reply/Quote

Whats a draft pick going to do for us? Marvin likes his draft picks safely on the bench for a few years in most cases. Even if they play we'll coach them down to Bengal level soon enough.

Plus another draft isn't going to fix the complete immaturity of this team, and with Marvin at the helm that obviously wont be instilled by the coaching. 
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 11:44 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly !

We'll get swept by Porta burgh again but go 9-7 with a softer schedule and the suckers will be going nuts because we backed into the playoffs. We'll get bounced in the wildcard game scoring zero points in the 2nd half with Marv's prevent offense.

NO THANKS 

Lol you got it down to a T
Reply/Quote

We have more holes in this roster heading into next season, plus terrible coaching if Marvin returns.  I don't see a quick fix for next season.  Hopefully Billing is our future nose tackle next to Geno but he has no game experience and is coming off an injury. We need another rush DE across from Dunlap, two starting  athletic linebackers to play with Burfict, A cover safety. Kirkpatrick is a free agent and will probably demand a huge contract, pacman is getting old,  Dennard is going to be in year four and he cant even get onto the field.   Hope to god William Jackson pans out but he's basically a rookie next season with no game experience.  On offense our  line will have even more holes with Whit and Zeitler being free agents.  We still need a speed WR on the outside next to A.J. I think Boyd will be a good slot WR tho.  Bernard is coming of an ACL and Hill hasn't been good since his rookie year. Plus we haven't drafted well the last few years and this coaching staff will probably sit a top 10 pick in favor of some washed up vet.
Reply/Quote

[Image: ryan-point-agree-the-office.gif]

Reply/Quote
I think we most likely will see the same things. But ive been thinking... Its going to be Bengals 50th anniversary next year, if the Nfl is any kind of fixed. They will help the bengals and marvin a little bit. Im not saying superbowl. Im not saying this will definitely happen. But we got two things that could contribute. 50 th anniversary and marvin last year in contract.
Reply/Quote
I pretty much responded on this in the 'Apathy' thread and in order to keep from ruffling some feathers I will not repeat the whole thing here.

For me, the ONLY chance of things changing is a long shot.

Since MB passing the baton is not even on the radar, the next best shot is for him to clean house, and that won't happen unless Lewis retires, and even then I don't trust how MB will play his hand at that juncture.

I have already committed to this city with the Reds and Bengals so changing teams is not an option.

That leaves the option of hoping that next year is a rebound year just as 2009 and 2011 were after 4-11-1 and 4-12 in 2008 and 2010.

Since bandwagoning isn't an option, I will be content with knowing that each week there is a good chance of them winning, except big stage games, and being glad I changed from a Browns to a Bengals fan in 1968!!
Reply/Quote