Poll: Any difference?
yes
no
yes, but only because I always have to disagree with Fred
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honestly, how much would your opinion change if Marvin had been 1-7
Would it have really made any difference if Marvin had won one playoff game?  I know if he had beaten the Steelers either time it would have been epic, but if he had only won that single post season game and the rest of his record was the same would it make any difference on your opinion of Marvin right now?

BTW I vote "No".
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 04:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Would it have really made any difference if Marvin had won one playoff game?  I know if he had beaten the Steelers either time it would have been epic, but if he had only won that single post season game and the rest of his record was the same wouldit make any difference on your opinion of Marvin right now?

BTW I vote "No".

Maybe in the sense that getting that elusive 1 would have gotten the gorilla off their backs and might have even led to more with the idea that it couldn't be done having been erased.

As the saying goes, whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Not for me either Fred. Winning a playoff game just something we settled for in grasping for hope. It’s been a very long dark ride.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No.

He could have gone 7-7 in the post season and I would still be of the opinion that he did the best he could with the cards that were dealt.
Reply/Quote
No difference at all to me, not that much difference between 1-7, and 0-7 in the playoffs; both records suck!
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 04:15 PM)McC Wrote: Maybe in the sense that getting that elusive 1 would have gotten the gorilla off their backs and might have even led to more with the idea that it couldn't be done having been erased.

But there was so much more than that. Not winning in prime time, horrible clock management, that damn giggling and saying “we did some good things” etc. so many to list but the worst was not taking responsibility for his shortcomings and always dumping his garbage back on the players.

Reply/Quote
I voted "No" because his record against the Steelers is horrendous.

Now if he had been let go a long time ago and had 1 playoff game... then perhaps my historical perception of him would've changed.

He's had much time and opportunities here.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I don't know for sure, maybe? Depending on which game, and how they played in the following playoff game, the next week. For example, had they not melted down and held on to beat Pittsburgh in 2015, and then went on to play either Denver or New England tough, but lost the game? I might have thought that Marvin had "turned a corner".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It would change it somewhat for me, but not dramatically. I appreciate the job he did turning the team around, and I obviously remember him more fondly for breaking the playoff streak, but he's still long past his sell by date.
Reply/Quote
It's the way they lost those games that really played more into my opinion of him as a coach than anything. Don't get me wrong, 0-7 in any fashion is very bad..but to look so unprepared and undisciplined in losing makes it much worse, IMO, and it directly reflects on the head coach.

Would one win change that if all the losses stayed the same? Probably not? Now, if he had won a playoff game along with being competitive and composed in the losses...then yeah, I would probably have a much different opinion.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 04:31 PM)Whatever Wrote: It would change it somewhat for me, but not dramatically.  I appreciate the job he did turning the team around, and I obviously remember him more fondly for breaking the playoff streak, but he's still long past his sell by date.

This is not an insult, just looks funny with only your username by itself.

It seems appropriate to see "Yes, Whatever"
Reply/Quote
I voted no

Circumstances are everything though. Like others have said had we won back in 05 or somewhere back then and had looked prepared in 12, 13 whatever, maybe ?

But when you add all the "other" I doubt it.
Reply/Quote
No. It would have made me happier as a fan to see that playoff victory but my opinion of Marvin would be the same. “The time has come” would still be my thought.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 04:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Would it have really made any difference if Marvin had won one playoff game?  I know if he had beaten the Steelers either time it would have been epic, but if he had only won that single post season game and the rest of his record was the same would it make any difference on your opinion of Marvin right now?

BTW I vote "No".

No. 

It would certainly get rid of the "longest without" discussion, but it wouldn't change my feelings that he needed to go. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
The bare minimum, ( and I mean excepting no less than ), is we should have 3 playoff wins by now, and I would still likely want him gone after the last three years. People with rings were let go for less.
Reply/Quote
Marvin seems good enough to help take a terrible team to respectability. His playoff record isn’t by accident. His clock management has always been absolutely pathetic and he isn’t disciplined, he’s too buddy- buddy and gets walked on. There have been some real trouble makers on his team in 16 years, how many suspensions do you remember the team dishing out? He has always been too conservative with play calling. He just has too many limitations and one freak win doesn’t change that.
Reply/Quote
I gave up on Marv after the 2015 loss. If he had won that game, I would not have spent the last three years disgusted and waiting for him to be fired. Probably would have ended up at the same place this year, three losing seasons in a row, with no plan for improvement in sight, it’s time to move on.
Reply/Quote
I'd give him more credit if he snapped a 20+ year playoff win drought, yes. Even if we would have beaten the Texans or the Colts or Chargers...anything. It would have been something. But alas, no playoff wins, no 1st round byes. Nada. Just 12th place finishes or worse. I'd have felt a lot better if we broke out of our curse of Bo, or whatever it is.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 07:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd give him more credit if he snapped a 20+ year playoff win drought, yes. Even if we would have beaten the Texans or the Colts or Chargers...anything. It would have been something. But alas, no playoff wins, no 1st round byes. Nada. Just 12th place finishes or worse. I'd have felt a lot better if we broke out of our curse of Bo, or whatever it is.

I bet Marvin walked away feeling highly successful here.

Nope!

Reply/Quote
I think so. Or at least not so anti-Marvin. Two of those games were with a backup. The game against Indy they were about as beat up as this year.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote