Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honey Badger
The thing with Bates that bothers me is he wasn't that great during the season. He stepped it up in the playoffs and shined. His BS comment that his head wasn't right because of negotiations doesn't speak team player. We know what he's capable of doing on the field, and anytime he falls short we will be critical. Seems a little scary to me that he's going to be one of those guys that only steps up at contract time. I could be wrong, but I'm a bit salty on this dude.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 07:43 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: The thing with Bates that bothers me is he wasn't that great during the season. He stepped it up in the playoffs and shined. His BS comment that his head wasn't right because of negotiations doesn't speak team player. We know what he's capable of doing on the field, and anytime he falls short we will be critical. Seems a little scary to me that he's going to be one of those guys that only steps up at contract time. I could be wrong, but I'm a bit salty on this dude.
Dealing with a new generation of athletes. Harley.  He wants to be here for sure. But I think his ego is a little hurt that they didn't offer him a long-term contract that was apparently reasonable to him
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 07:43 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: The thing with Bates that bothers me is he wasn't that great during the season. He stepped it up in the playoffs and shined. His BS comment that his head wasn't right because of negotiations doesn't speak team player. We know what he's capable of doing on the field, and anytime he falls short we will be critical. Seems a little scary to me that he's going to be one of those guys that only steps up at contract time. I could be wrong, but I'm a bit salty on this dude.

Yeah, love the player and the way he played in the Playoffs for us but if this is the case Matthieu or one of these talented
Safeties like Brisker or Dax Hill at 31 make sense. We just want the team to continue to get better and Bates head not being
right before isn't a good sign this time around.

(03-24-2022, 07:52 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Dealing with a new generation of athletes. Harley.  He wants to be here for sure. But I think his ego is a little hurt that they didn't offer him a long-term contract that was apparently reasonable to him

Get the ego out of here. He needs to be paid by how good he has played, not purely for potential.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 07:13 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: He has played in every game, except for two, over the last 5 years.  Pretty reliable in my opinion.  

At this point, Tyrann for 3 years would Be better than the tag, 1 year at a time, game that bates is bringing to the table.

All of this said, much to do about nothing

Agree with everything Bengalbug.

I want Bates extended and him to be happy about it, that is all.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 08:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with everything Bengalbug.

I want Bates extended and him to be happy about it, that is all.

Me as well bro. I would think that the bengals are offering top 5 money at the position over 3-5 years. There is a high likelihood he sees all of it. Sometimes these young men get caught up in the “need to be highest paid” and forget about the tortoise and the hare.

I think Antonio brown/ leveon bell are prime examples of the hare and Larry fitz/Brady/Matt ryan/Philip rivers are the tortoise. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race.

Other examples of hares are Josh Norman with the panthers. Or Albert hansworth with the titans.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 07:52 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Dealing with a new generation of athletes. Harley.  He wants to be here for sure. But I think his ego is a little hurt that they didn't offer him a long-term contract that was apparently reasonable to him

I mean, just because it wasn’t reasonable to him, doesn’t mean it wasn’t a reasonable offer. I think the last few off seasons shows the bengals pay the true value of players. Just because the bengals are not willing to make him the highest paid doesn’t mean it wasn’t a fair offer. Recent contracts to Christian kirk, Adams, hill at WR and Watson/Rodgers at Qb skewed everything in the wrong direction. MVS is going to be paid as a top 20-30 WR. That is just ludicrous.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 10:58 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Me as well bro.  I would think that the bengals are offering top 5 money at the position over 3-5 years.  There is a high likelihood he sees all of it.  Sometimes these young men get caught up in the “need to be highest paid” and forget about the tortoise and the hare.  

I think Antonio brown/ leveon bell are prime examples of the hare and Larry fitz/Brady/Matt ryan/Philip rivers are the tortoise.  Sometimes slow and steady wins the race.  

Other examples of hares are Josh Norman with the panthers. Or Albert hansworth with the titans.

Yes, it isn't offensive to not be paid more than any other player at your position. Sure as hell shouldn't be especially when your
play on the field shows you need to get much more consistent in your good play and limit your bad play much more. Bates is not
a top tackling Safety, that is where the difference is. Players need to understand how good they have played and how much that 
equates into what they are paid and not just listen to their agents who are liar liars....

I hate entitlement, it will be the down fall of most young people.

I don't want anything I haven't earned.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 03:25 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why on earth would be interested in him? We have two above average safeties including one of our that we won't give a lucrative deal to...makes zero sense.

Yeah. How would that work out?
Reply/Quote