Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honey badger to Cincy?
Watched a YouTube video (I believe who deyley) about Mathieu having interest in signing with either the Bengals or the Steelers. No other sources to confirm this. Anyone out there know if there is any truth to this? All I can find is an interview where he states how much he loves Burrow (join the club) and compares him to Brady.

Would make sense if he comes cheap on a 2-3 year deal. Could replace Allen as the 3rd safety for now and later takeover for Bates or Bell as a stop-gap while we find a younger, suitable replacement(s).
Reply/Quote
Actually he makes a lot of sense if you're willing to get ahead of the Bates situation. It seems the team looks to be relegated to Bates being here a year and leaving as a UFA, but replacing him now would mess up chemistry.

I'd rather take advantage of the Badger not having the right market. We sign him to a similar incentive deal that Collins got on a long term deal. You'd have to simultaneously find a team to fit Bates in a trade though. Something like HB signed to a reasonable deal before he hits 30 and getting a 2nd/high 3rd for Bates would make sense to me, not sure Cincy plays it that way.
Reply/Quote
its a good idea and gives the team a little leverage on the contract.
Reply/Quote
With the rams signing Wagner idc about the cap anymore. Get talent. Id like him in 3 LB Sets as an OLB roaming the middle.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
It would also be good to keep him (and his reasonable contract tdd theoretically) from the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
Would make sense, but we haven't heard anything from anyone reliable on there being mutual interest.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
So, in this imaginary scenario where the Bengals would have by a mile, the highest paid Safety position group in the league, which one is sitting on the bench for 40-60% of the snaps??
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 04:48 PM)phil413 Wrote: Actually he makes a lot of sense if you're willing to get ahead of the Bates situation.  It seems the team looks to be relegated to Bates being here a year and leaving as a UFA, but replacing him now would mess up chemistry.

I'd rather take advantage of the Badger not having the right market.  We sign him to a similar incentive deal that Collins got on a long term deal.  You'd have to simultaneously find a team to fit Bates in a trade though. Something like HB signed to a reasonable deal before he hits 30 and getting a 2nd/high 3rd for Bates would make sense to me, not sure Cincy plays it that way.

Yeah solid play for both the present and short term future. Especially if we get him on a team friendly, incentive based deal. Gives him a legit shot at one more ring to pad his legacy with. Not getting my hopes up but I like it the more I think about it.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 07:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, in this imaginary scenario where the Bengals would have by a mile, the highest paid Safety position group in the league, which one is sitting on the bench for 40-60% of the snaps??

Lowest paid player maybe lol. It's fun to think about, but only way it'd work is if he's not getting any love after the draft and doesn't mind taking on a reduced role/salary to ring chase.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 07:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, in this imaginary scenario where the Bengals would have by a mile, the highest paid Safety position group in the league, which one is sitting on the bench for 40-60% of the snaps??

You rescind the Bates Tag. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
He looked pretty washed when the Bengals played KC. Throwing his hands up and expecting everyone else to make a tackle. Did anyone see him make a play?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 08:20 PM)jj22 Wrote: He looked pretty washed when the Bengals played KC. Throwing his hands up and expecting everyone else to make a tackle. Did anyone see him make a play?

Thank you, I didn't want to be the one to say it.

It's not a surprise that Matthieu isn't getting any huge offers, and he and his agent aren't likely willing to settle for a "prove it" type of deal just yet.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He IS a quite undersized safety, so you need to worry about how his body will hold up as he will be 30 this season, so a 3 year deal would be 30, 31, 32. He's torn both of his ACLs.

It could be a great signing. I am just really suspicious on why the Chiefs moved on from him and he's stayed out on the market.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Pass. I've never been a fan of him. Too much me me me in him.
Reply/Quote

Neither. You’d get all of them on the field somehow. Were weak at CB anyway. So i don’t mind our nickel and dime sets using an extra safety instead of extra corners.

But to answer your question you’d basically have to take snaps from Tyrann right? Bell is a good player who can handle himself on the inside around linebackers. Bates is our guy so he’s not losing snaps. If Tyrann could man cover and slide down for some nickel and dime corner that would be amazing
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2022, 12:08 PM)Housh Wrote: Neither. You’d get all of them on the field somehow. Were weak at CB anyway. So i don’t mind our nickel and dime sets using an extra safety instead of extra corners.

But to answer your question you’d basically have to take snaps from Tyrann right? Bell is a good player who can handle himself on the inside around linebackers. Bates is our guy so he’s not losing snaps. If Tyrann could man cover and slide down for some nickel and dime corner that would be amazing

So, are you putting Hilton on the bench in Nickle?  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2022, 09:06 AM)Mer Wrote: Pass. I've never been a fan of him. Too much me me me in him.

I hate a me new me WR and QB but i LOVE selfish DBs. You telling me a guy wants to get all the picks and tackles? Sign me up
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2022, 12:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, are you putting Hilton on the bench in Nickle?  

I think the implication would be Mike sliding to the outside at CB2 and giving up nickel to one of the safeties?? If that's the case, I could see Bell sliding up to Nickle. Not sure about Hilton's speed to stick the outside though.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2022, 12:08 PM)Housh Wrote: Neither. You’d get all of them on the field somehow. Were weak at CB anyway. So i don’t mind our nickel and dime sets using an extra safety instead of extra corners.

If we brought him in I think it'd be best to keep him at that 3rd safety Ricardo Allen role/depth piece. Not just for his benefit but Mike Hilton is too good at Nickle to bench or move.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2022, 12:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, are you putting Hilton on the bench in Nickle?  
F*** no

Hilton and Tyrann would be the inside corners. Awuzie and Apple on the outside. Obviously motions and switches would nullify this plan but hey.
-Housh
Reply/Quote