Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honey badger to Cincy?
If they can sign him to a 3 year deal and trade Bates for a first, I think everyone leaves happy.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2022, 01:55 AM)Esc33 Wrote: I think the implication would be Mike sliding to the outside at CB2 and giving up nickel to one of the safeties?? If that's the case, I could see Bell sliding up to Nickle. Not sure about Hilton's speed to stick the outside though.

I agree that Hilton's body style and skill set isn't aren't best suited for boundary Corner.  I like him in his role as Slot CB, and think that taking him off the field would open up some vulnerabilities.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2022, 02:10 AM)Housh Wrote: F*** no

Hilton and Tyrann would be the inside corners. Awuzie and Apple on the outside. Obviously motions and switches would nullify this plan but hey.

This seems like the logical alignment to me, and having Bell play the short middle at top of the box, where he can cut off slants and easily flow to the action on either side. The only problem that I see with this Dime alignment is that with only 5 'big body' defenders on the field, it leaves the defense vulnerable to audibles to power runs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Apparently he had a virtual visit with the Eagles today.

https://nfltraderumors.co/eagles-interested-in-s-tyrann-mathieu/

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Sounds like he would have taken a 3 year 31.5m deal. Bring him in, rescind bates. Move on.

“Mathieu became a free agent last month and remains unsigned after the Chiefs opted to add safety Justin Reid on a three-year, $31.5 million deal. In an interview with Sam McDowell of the Kansas City Star, Mathieu said he was “heartbroken” that the Chiefs didn’t offer him a contract and “could not understand” why that was the case.

Mathieu also said that he would have likely accepted the same offer that the Chiefs made to Reid.

“To be honest, if they would’ve offered me Justin Reid’s deal, obviously I would’ve tried to negotiate, but if that’s where they drew their line in the sand, I probably would’ve took it,” Mathieu said. “I probably would’ve took it. Agents are going to do their thing, but at the end of the day, it’s the player’s decision whether to sign it or not.””
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 08:16 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Sounds like he would have taken a 3 year 31.5m deal.  Bring him in, rescind bates.  Move on.

“Mathieu became a free agent last month and remains unsigned after the Chiefs opted to add safety Justin Reid on a three-year, $31.5 million deal. In an interview with Sam McDowell of the Kansas City Star, Mathieu said he was “heartbroken” that the Chiefs didn’t offer him a contract and “could not understand” why that was the case.

Mathieu also said that he would have likely accepted the same offer that the Chiefs made to Reid.

“To be honest, if they would’ve offered me Justin Reid’s deal, obviously I would’ve tried to negotiate, but if that’s where they drew their line in the sand, I probably would’ve took it,” Mathieu said. “I probably would’ve took it. Agents are going to do their thing, but at the end of the day, it’s the player’s decision whether to sign it or not.””

They aren't the same player/position. Mathieu plays more of a hybrid strong safety/slot while Bates plays free safety as a center fielder. Mathieu only lined up as a FS on roughly 30% of his snaps whereas Bates does it about 70% of the time, it's not a plug and play move.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 10:39 AM)Au165 Wrote: They aren't the same player/position. Mathieu plays more of a hybrid strong safety/slot while Bates plays free safety as a center fielder. Mathieu only lined up as a FS on roughly 30% of his snaps whereas Bates does it about 70% of the time, it's not a plug and play move.

Looking ahead a year when von bell is a free agent, I think Mathieu versatility would be an asset. Even though you mentioned him playing only 30% of snaps at FS that was still the highest percentage at any one position in 22.

Free safety: 28.1% of defensive snaps
Strong safety: 24.1%
Slot corner: 20.7%
Inside linebacker: 19.9%
Outside linebacker: 4.9%
Outside corner: 2.3%

If we could lock him up for 3 years (at the 31.5m price the chiefs paid), that serves as a better long term solution and allows us flexibility next year without a significant (if any) downgrade at the FS position.

Just my .02

I’m not the only one that thinks this either - https://atozsports.com/cincinnati/news-tyrann-mathieu-cincinnati-bengals-jessie-bates/
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 11:30 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Looking ahead a year when von bell is a free agent, I think Mathieu versatility would be an asset. Even though you mentioned him playing only 30% of snaps at FS that was still the highest percentage at any one position in 22.

Free safety: 28.1% of defensive snaps
Strong safety: 24.1%
Slot corner: 20.7%
Inside linebacker: 19.9%
Outside linebacker: 4.9%
Outside corner: 2.3%

If we could lock him up for 3 years (at the 31.5m price the chiefs paid), that serves as a better long term solution and allows us flexibility next year without a significant (if any) downgrade at the FS position.

Just my .02

I’m not the only one that thinks this either - https://atozsports.com/cincinnati/news-tyrann-mathieu-cincinnati-bengals-jessie-bates/

We play single high as our base coverage, he isn’t a center fielder…there is no fit here as a bates replacement. Again, if your signing Mathieu you are signing him to be the box safety/cb hybrid that has made him an all pro the last 4 or 5 years. Early in his career they asked him to be a center fielder and he was not really special.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2022, 09:55 AM)Au165 Wrote: We play single high as our base coverage, he isn’t a center fielder…there is no fit here as a bates replacement. Again, if your signing Mathieu you are signing him to be the box safety/cb hybrid that has made him an all pro the last 4 or 5 years. Early in his career they asked him to be a center fielder and he was not really special.

You are right. We can do better in 2023 with ______ and ________? Considering Mathieu is still arguably a top 10-15 safety, it’s going to be hard to come up with many better players, but let’s play.

Please fill in the blank(s) for me.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2022, 11:56 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: You are right.  We can do better in 2023 with ______ and ________?  Considering Mathieu is still arguably a top 10-15 safety, it’s going to be hard to come up with many better players,  but let’s play.

Please fill in the blank(s) for me.

AU is saying that Mathieu doesn't play the same roles. Cincinnati is in single high with Bates as the center fielder quite often. Mathieu doesn't do that. Mathieu subs in as the slot and plays in the box. Mathieu would be a better schematic replacement for Vonn Bell than he would Bates. Given the style of defense that Cincinnati runs, they need a talented center fielder and that isn't Mathieu. He's great at what he does, but not at what Cincinnati needs.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 12:02 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: AU is saying that Mathieu doesn't play the same roles. Cincinnati is in single high with Bates as the center fielder quite often. Mathieu doesn't do that. Mathieu subs in as the slot and plays in the box. Mathieu would be a better schematic replacement for Vonn Bell than he would Bates. Given the style of defense that Cincinnati runs, they need a talented center fielder and that isn't Mathieu. He's great at what he does, but not at what Cincinnati needs.

I understand what he is saying, which is why I asked the question about past 2022. The likely hood of bates being here in 2 years is going down every day. Is put it at around 20%. So we need to compare mathieu to someone other than bates… and maybe bell. Hence the two fill in the blanks.
Reply/Quote