Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hoping Bengals RUN OFTEN Preseason Game 1
If they can not Run Block or Run the ball in 2021, they can not pass block or pass or win in 2021.  Get these big moon pies flying out there run blocking. Inside, Outside, hit the other team.  Use all the running backs in camp. Use all the Blockers in camp. The game does not count, so go Woody Hayes and see if Bengals have any kind of a running game against Tampa.

Also, if Burrow is still gimpy and Reiff is injured, Burrow should see only a few snaps, if any.  Let these Big 300 pound Blockers FIRE OUT and ATTACK with Run Blocking.  Yes, mix in some drop back Pass Blocking, but mostly work on the Running Plays.  Coach Taylor out of need or out of design is too pass, pass, pass and that gets quarterbacks killed.  The Bengals better learn how to Run The Ball, and Preseason Game One is a good place to start.  Pass Blocking is drop back passive.  Run Blocking is smash mouth aggressive. See if these big meatballs can Fire Forward on the snap and Hit and Block somebody.  Find out who is strong enough for The NFL, and who is too weak for The NFL. Then cut and fire the weak blockers. Build Burrow a Strong O Line.

The old cheer, Hit em' again, Hit em' again, Harder, Harder applies here. Fire Off the Snap of the ball and smash forward into Tampa. Pound The Rock. Blow the dust off the running plays in the playbook. See if any of our Blockers can put on the Big Boy Pants and Man Up in Run Blocking. There will be other games to work on pass blocking. I would like to see a night of practice on run blocking against Tampa.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:26 PM)kevin Wrote: If they can not Run Block or Run the ball in 2021, they can not pass block or pass or win in 2021.  Get these big moon pies flying out there run blocking. Inside, Outside, hit the other team.  Use all the running backs in camp. Use all the Blockers in camp. The game does not count, so go Woody Hayes and see if Bengals have any kind of a running game against Tampa.

Also, if Burrow is still gimpy and Reiff is injured, Burrow should see only a few snaps, if any.  Let these Big 300 pound Blockers FIRE OUT and ATTACK with Run Blocking.  Yes, mix in some drop back Pass Blocking, but mostly work on the Running Plays.  Coach Taylor out of need or out of design is too pass, pass, pass and that gets quarterbacks killed.  The Bengals better learn how to Run The Ball, and Preseason Game One is a good place to start.  Pass Blocking is drop back passive.  Run Blocking is smash mouth aggressive. See if these big meatballs can Fire Forward on the snap and Hit and Block somebody.  Find out who is strong enough for The NFL, and who is too weak for The NFL. Then cut and fire the weak blockers. Build Burrow a Strong O Line.

I agree that run blocking will be important for this team, and there is an expectation that Pollack being back improves this area of the offense.
However, I'm just not sold that they have the right players to have a really good run game.
The best run blocker out of all the projected starters (Williams, Spain, Hopkins, XSF, and Reiff) had a 62.4 run blocking grade on PFF, which was Spain.

Spain - 62.4 (283 run block snaps)
Hopkins - 62.1 (338 run block snaps)
Reiff - 60.8 (436 run block snaps)
Williams - 53.4 (205 run block snaps)
XSF - 52.1 (138 run block snaps)

Maybe Pollack can turn water into wine, but I'm not expecting more than a middle-of-the-pack running game this season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My biggest concern on this team is run blocking no question.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree that run blocking will be important for this team, and there is an expectation that Pollack being back improves this area of the offense.
However, I'm just not sold that they have the right players to have a really good run game.
The best run blocker out of all the projected starters (Williams, Spain, Hopkins, XSF, and Reiff) had a 62.4 run blocking grade on PFF, which was Spain.

Maybe Pollack can turn water into wine, but I'm not expecting more than a middle-of-the-pack running game this season.
You list 5 starters before preseason game one.  Get all the Blockers off the bench and in there to run block against Tampa, and keep bringing in fresh legs using all the running backs.  If there is some Blockers on the bench better than the sad sacks they have been using, find out in preseason game one.  If the Bengals can not learn how to Run Block, then Defenses will go after and kill Burrow.  The KEY to getting the most out of Burrow, Boyd, Higgins, Chase is to keep Defenses Off Balance with a Good Running Attack.  Since Preseason Game One does not count in Regular Season Standings, Get these lard butts off their rear ends and give every one of them a chance to RUN BLOCK.  I want to see every Blocker in camp in this game Run Blocking.  Who Knows, we may just have a Blocking Monster we haven't given a chance to yet. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: My biggest concern on this team is run blocking no question.

Mine is pass blocking simply due to the consequences if they fail in comparison.

They fail to run block, they stink. They fail to pass block, they stink AND Burrow gets hurt again.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:53 PM)kevin Wrote: You list 5 starters before preseason game one.  Get all the Blockers off the bench and in there to run block against Tampa, and keep bringing in fresh legs using all the running backs.  If there is some Blockers on the bench better than the sad sacks they have been using, find out in preseason game one.  If the Bengals can not learn how to Run Block, then Defenses will go after and kill Burrow.  The KEY to getting the most out of Burrow, Boyd, Higgins, Chase is to keep Defenses Off Balance with a Good Running Attack.  Since Preseason Game One does not count in Regular Season Standings, Get these lard butts off their rear ends and give every one of them a chance to RUN BLOCK.  I want to see every Blocker in camp in this game Run Blocking.  Who Knows, we may just have a Blocking Monster we haven't given a chance to yet. 

By the time the Bengals would rotate to the other OL after their starters, the opposing defense will have likely rotated to their backups too. Seeing the backups do well against other backups won't necessarily determine that they'd do well against starters.

The best run blockers on the team last year were all people you wouldn't want to start on the Bengals because of their poor pass blocking:
Michael Jordan
Bobby Hart
Alex Redmond
Billy Price

My point is if you want a good run blocking OL, you probably need to put in different players than the guys who are better pass blockers.
And if you rotate your blockers based on whether they are good pass vs run, that's going to tip the defense to what the offense would do.

I think given how this team is constructed, the best we can hope/expect is above average passing attack with an average rushing attack.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Mine is pass blocking simply due to the consequences if they fail in comparison.

They fail to run block, they stink. They fail to pass block, they stink AND Burrow gets hurt again.

smart playing calling can mask a lot 
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 02:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: smart playing calling can mask a lot 

True, but do you think we're going to get that? My guess is 40 passes a game, because that seems to be Zac Taylor's OC calling card with starting QBs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 02:45 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: True, but do you think we're going to get that? My guess is 40 passes a game, because that seems to be Zac Taylor's OC calling card with starting QBs.

Empty set, drop back and huck the rock, the Zac Taylor method.

I really, really hate the empty set look. Why give the defense the advantage of knowing there is no chance for a run. At most you jet sweep and in that situation the pass rushers pinning their ears back run into your crossing WR.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 02:58 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Empty set, drop back and huck the rock, the Zac Taylor method.

I really, really hate the empty set look. Why give the defense the advantage of knowing there is no chance for a run. At most you jet sweep and in that situation the pass rushers pinning their ears back run into your crossing WR.

“bUrroW LIkeZ EmPTy SeT” — ZT

I agree, at least leave mixon out there and motion him out to empty if that’s what you want to do. At least that would keep them semi honest.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Mine is pass blocking simply due to the consequences if they fail in comparison.

Both coincide, it is just that we have some decent pass blockers or ones that have shown they are good at it in the past in Reiff, 
Spain, Hopkins but all 3 of these guys are just not near as good at run blocking. Jonah and Carman could be good at run blocking 
AND pass blocking which is why I have high hopes for them. But Jordan and Price have been pretty terrible at everything.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 03:07 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: “bUrroW LIkeZ EmPTy SeT” — ZT

I agree, at least leave mixon out there and motion him out to empty if that’s what you want to do. At least that would keep them semi honest.

With the money Mixon is making he should be touching the ball 20 to 25 times a game minimum. 

He is an offense weapon unlike anything the team has, not sure why you would limit him. Guy could be like Bell was in his prime for the steelers and just give defenses fits.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 04:03 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: With the money Mixon is making he should be touching the ball 20 to 25 times a game minimum. 

He is an offense weapon unlike anything the team has, not sure why you would limit him. Guy could be like Bell was in his prime for the steelers and just give defenses fits.

No Doubt...  Gotta stick to the run even if its not working as the game wears on those runs will start to be there if they are wearing down the DL
Reply/Quote
3 yards and a cloud of dust.  Don't even drop back to pass. Run it up the middle every time.  Run the ol' wishbone offense this whole preseason.  Go on one till the 2nd half, then start going on 2, mix up the count.  

"We're gonna get em on the run. We're gonna go, go, go, go. And we aren't gonna stop until we go to that goal line. And don't forget, men, today is the day. We're gonna win. They can't lick us!"
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree that run blocking will be important for this team, and there is an expectation that Pollack being back improves this area of the offense.

Honestly, a middle of the pack running game would be a HUGE improvement from last year IMO.   Mixon hasn't really had a good line since he's been here and has been able to do pretty well.   If he can do well with a middle of the pack running game, then hopefully that will help keep the defense a little more honest and help open up the passing game more.   However, I do think Zac more uses the pass to set-up the run - at least based on what we've seen so far.  
Reply/Quote
When the season starts and this shit OL is in action we will see Burrow running often and for his life! Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 04:50 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: 3 yards and a cloud of dust.  Don't even drop back to pass. Run it up the middle every time.  Run the ol' wishbone offense this whole preseason.  Go on one till the 2nd half, then start going on 2, mix up the count.  

"We're gonna get em on the run. We're gonna go, go, go, go. And we aren't gonna stop until we go to that goal line. And don't forget, men, today is the day. We're gonna win. They can't lick us!"

And don't punt.   EVER.   Use all 4 downs.   If a pro team can't get 10 yards in 4 chances, they shouldn't be here.   Ninja
Reply/Quote
Once they take Burrow out, I'd like to see a lot of 5 step drops with the first team OL. If teams stack the box and send heat from different spots, the best way to make them pay is over the top. You can't do that with wet paper bag pass protection, nor can you run into the teeth of a loaded box against good defenses. 
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: My biggest concern on this team is run blocking no question.

Mixon is such a good back and hits the hole so fast that run blocking doesn’t have to be much better than average or even below average, but we can’t win games if we don’t give Burrow protection.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 04:03 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: With the money Mixon is making he should be touching the ball 20 to 25 times a game minimum. 

Mixon only played 6 games last year, so it's hard to say anuthing other than that limited him.  The guy just might not have the ability to get 400+ touches this season. 
Reply/Quote